NRL skippers urged to shake hands with match officials

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
NRL captains have been asked to shake hands with match officials as they leave the field at the end of all premiership games this year.

The initiative of NRL head of football Todd Greenberg, which he says has met with wide approval, is designed to show spectators players respect referees and touch judges.

Read More

NRL captains have been asked to shake hands with match officials as they leave the field at the end of all premiership games this year.

The initiative of NRL head of football Todd Greenberg, which
572983-referees1.jpg
he says has met with wide approval, is designed to show spectators players respect referees and touch judges.

In turn, it is hoped spectators will show more tolerance to match officials, Greenberg said.

After the heat of battle, it will test the composure of captains, including Johnathan Thurston and Michael Ennis, who have been prone to reacting with frustration and “baking’’ referees during games.

“I have addressed the club CEOs, all 16 club coaches and several senior captains and asked for their collective support so that we take a cultural shift in how we address the match officials,’’ Greenberg said.

“The support I have received from them is absolutely fantastic. We need referees to be treated as an important part of the game.

“In a game of football, players always shake hands. Win, lose or draw, I want them to do it with the match officials, too.

“Shaking hands after the game used to happen, but in the last five years or so it (hasn’t been) happening. I’ve also asked the referees to shake them by the hand.’’

The initiative could have a flow-on effect to how referees were treated at junior and grassroots levels of the game, where they do not have the support at games which senior referees have, Greenberg believes.

“We want the dealings with the referees to be genuine and for hundreds of thousands of children watching the games every week to see it,’’ he said.

After North Queensland’s season ended in last year’s finals with a gut-wrenching loss to Cronulla including a Sharks try on a seventh tackle, Thurston said NRL teams “outside of Sydney (are) fighting up against it, no doubt about it”.

Asked if he could now “laugh about’’ the circumstances of his team’s finals exit when interviewed on the NRL on Fox program last night, Thurston agreed he could.

“There’s nothing you can do about it. It’s in the past, everyone is over it,’’ Thurston said.

“Hopefully our club has a good season and hopefully the officials have a good season too.”

Greenberg said he did not see a need to increase the amount of the standard $10,000 fine for coaches making criticism of referees.

“We’d prefer to work with people than wield a big stick,’’ he said.

“I have spoken to the coaches about how they engage with referees and I have no problem with people being critical of performance. I do have problems with people questioning the integrity and the essence of the decision-making. We will hold our match officials accountable.’’

The NRL last month announced team captains would this year be permitted to approach the referees only at halftime or when there was a stoppage in play because of a try, injury or the issuing of a caution.

The halftime briefing has been formalised as a chance for the captains to raise complaints about rulings in a calmer environment.

“You can see by design we are trying to (make changes) with the way players are able to communicate with referees,’’ Greenberg said.

Paul Malone

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-skippers-urged-to-shake-hands-with-match-officials-to-show-support/story-fniabjcr-1226832461109

Greenberg's an idiot. Imagine how the Manly blokes would have felt having to shake hands with Hayne after the GF. It'd be a miracle if no one snotted him.
Usual frog**** I'd expect from Greenberg.

Lets get the Latham handshake going then - Greenturd is regressing :cool:

They do now at the coin toss in the tunnel anyway.

I believe every player should shake the hand of the referee at the end of a match, whether they have done a good job or not.

I have played hockey at many different levels, from State representative through to local grade. At all levels this occurs. Not only is it good manners to thank them for their efforts, just like shaking an opponents hand, but it is also a chance to have a decision or interpretation explained in a non hostile situation. You would be surprised how quickly you get respect from officials out on the field when this is done in this manner.

Maybe we should tell our guys to go and shake the w@nkers hand after we have been screwed by another poor decision...Maybe Greenturd can come down the sideline and shake the players hands as thanks for keeping the useless twat in a job.
Maybe Greenturd can be interviewed every Wednesday night on NRL 360 with questions from all 16 coaches....FFS lets play footy you knob.

tugga8 said:
I believe every player should shake the hand of the referee at the end of a match, whether they have done a good job or not.

I have played hockey at many different levels, from State representative through to local grade. At all levels this occurs. Not only is it good manners to thank them for their efforts, just like shaking an opponents hand, but it is also a chance to have a decision or interpretation explained in a non hostile situation. You would be surprised how quickly you get respect from officials out on the field when this is done in this manner.
In a perfect world all referees should be congratulated for their efforts.
In the case of some NRL referees however I would have great difficulty thanking them for their efforts... Shane Hayne is foremost among these.

So this is the best initiative the fat cats at the nrl can come up with, surely there are more important things to be sorting out. Looks like they have been spending too much time at the tennis

niccipops said:
Shake hand, pull forward, head butt.;)

You should have said "Shake hand, pull forward and kiss him (Liverpool style)"

Frogz said:
Maybe we should tell our guys to go and shake the w@nkers hand after we have been screwed by another poor decision.

I think that it should be the other way around. Every time we are awarded a penalty, Jamie should go over and shake the Refs hand and congratulate him for giving it to us and the rest of the guys can stand around him and give him a round of applause. :p

Fuk me..

I'm so sick the NRL!!!

No shoulder charge, changing rules weeks before the season starts, 2 ref crap, cheating, biased draw the list goes on, now this bull****!!!!

I don't follow NRL at all anymore, only Manly.

The NRL is a joke!

The Who said:
Shame Hayne got a $400,000 handshake from Easts after last season's grand final.

His performance was worth more than $400k. Surely $4m for such a one sided performance

"designed to show spectators players respect referees and touch judges."

Respect? This is big coming from this guy after last year. Whatever happened about that?

So , the incompetent fools cost you the game and then you have to shake their hand as well . Ridiculous !!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6