NRL set to crackdown on play-the-ball infringements and ten metre rule

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
504894-harrigan-letter-to-referees.jpg

THIS is the one-paragraph email from referees boss Bill Harrigan to the 16 coaches that will either make or break the NRL season.

Read the full article

oh great, here goes the over zealous crackdown on infringements

So this week Harrigans hobbyhorse is the 10m rule, in a months time it'll be something else. He does like to get his name in the paper does our Bill.

I like his reference to the 2012 rule. If there is a dramatic change it has to imply that they have made massive errors in adjudicating it thus far in the season, and as boss that lays squarely on his shoulders. The refs have always been the issue trying to introduce interpretation into many rules

the whole reffing debacle with thge ruck and play the ball issues started in super league with bill harrigan and has never been the same since, with Bill being the common denominator is just about all of that time

How about ensuring the attacking side abide by the rules of the ruck as well ? No moving off the mark, getting to your feet to play the ball, not interfering (i.e no touching at ALL) with the marker. This obsession with quick play the balls is ruining the game, the rucks are a joke because if you don't wrestle then the attacking side flops, jumps to their feet, walks through the mark by a metre and plays the ball. Effectively nullifies marker player, and the game becomes glorified touch footy. Little wonder there are no around the legs tackles anymore as there is no reward for good technique. You tackle around the legs and you are effectively taken out of the play. The rules are there for a reason, enforce them.

Perhaps they could look at the forward pass problem while they're at it. That's probably to much to ask, what with five officials. Anyway I agree with Daniel on this one, this week there will be some really stupid referring decisions.

If accountability is important then lets cease with this flavour of the month officiating of games.

The refs boss & his team, with the approval of the games administration, set out at the beginning of the season what the interpretations are and what the refs will focus on.

At the end of the year, the refs boss & his team, review and commence working on the next years improvements.

Frogz said:
Lets see what happens in the Storm game tonight....Sweet FA is my tip

Same **** as in the tackle being dished out by the Storm players and no action from the refs. Watch us get absolutely cained in the penalties fri night.

I dont know how harrigan and raper keep their jobs. I think they are partly to blame for allowing this crap to come into the game.
They could fix it immedaitely...sin bin...send them off.......Dont just crack down on the 10 metres this week...play the ball next...they have 2 f@rken refs on the field and they still cant enforce the rules.

MadMarcus said:
Frogz said:
Lets see what happens in the Storm game tonight....Sweet FA is my tip

I'm assuming the crackdown is only on infringements by Manly?

I was going to say the same thing.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7