NRL Sea Eagles: Gloria there from day one

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Rugby League

6 Dec 12 @ 05:15pm by Andrew Prentice

IBOLT_PP552334_4060142_resized.jpg

YOU would be hard-pressed to find a more passionate Sea Eagles fan than Gloria Williams.

She attended Manly's first game, against Western Suburbs in 1947, when nephew Meggsy Kirkwood scored the club's maiden try.

Gloria now lives in a retirement village at Erina on the Central Coast and her passion for the maroon and white remains as strong as ever.

Having celebrated her 100th birthday last month, Gloria was quick to say her favourite all-time players were Ken Arthurson and Roy Bull.

From the current squad, she has a soft spot for fullback Brett Stewart.

"I grew up in Brookvale and attended countless games on the hill," Gloria fondly recalled this week.

"I still watch games these days, not live at the ground, mostly on TV."

One of her most cherished items is a book of autographs penned from the 1947 squad.

Gloria shows visitors every chance she gets and nothing pleases her more than discussing all things Sea Eagles with her nephew Jim Pinnell, also an avid club supporter.

Sea Eagles commercial director Greg Butterworth was chuffed to hear about Gloria's passion.

He promptly offered her the VIP treatment when the 2011 NRL premiers host Wests Tigers at Gosford's Bluetongue Stadium in a round four clash next March.

"We would be delighted to extend an invitation to Gloria and a partner to be guests of our general manager, David Perry," he said.

"We will also arrange transport, VIP seating and hospitality if need be."

Having witnessed premiership triumphs each decade since the 1970s, Gloria would love to see another victory lap at ANZ Stadium on October 6.

Jamie Lyon and company, over to you.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/nrl-sea-eagles-gloria-there-from-day-one/

Awesome!! Gloria sounds like she could be "officially" our oldest fan.

There is another lady who my daughter & I met as we gave her a hand on the way out of the Jane Try stand (after the Storm match I think it was), she was in her nineties and said she had been supporting Manly since before they were admitted to the comp in '47.

I forget her name but many of you will no doubt have seen her, she uses a walking frame and if you are stuck behind her just be patient!

The club should sit these ladies down & record a video interview with them about Manly Sea Eagles & Brookie. Living treasures.

Brissie Kid said:
The club should sit these ladies down & record a video interview with them about Manly Sea Eagles & Brookie. Living treasures.
@Larissa
Great idea!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4