NRL salary cap to rise as high as $5.8 million

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
NRL salary cap to rise as high as $5.8 million |

News.com.au

An increase of such magnitude would help Penrith and Manly, struggling to accommodate their squads under next year's cap.

The Panthers have unsuccessfully asked top players to strike out cap increase clauses, while Manly still cannot register Brett Stewart's new four-year contract extension.

Clubs had initially been told to work on a $5 million cap for 2013 - well beneath the $6.5 million limit the players had sought.

At the first major meeting on November 30, the NRL offered to increase the provisional cap to $5.2 million.

That provoked scorn from the players, who dug their heels in deeper and demanded a presentation from ARLC chairman John Grant about how the game's $225 million future fund was costed.

Grant fronted them last Friday, but there was no further progress.

Then tensions were inflamed further on Monday, when Grant revealed the ARLC would independently set the salary cap if a CBA was not achieved by February.

But from impending disaster came a breakthrough, with sources close to the negotiations saying a $5.8 million cap next year was nearly enough to placate the players.

The reliance on marquee payments also relieves Grant from having to erode the future fund to compensate clubs for direct payments.

How much the cap would incrementally rise over the remaining four years of the CBA remains to be seen, but the NRL is resisting a jump of more than $300,000 per annum.

The Daily Telegraph also understands that players have been successful in their bid to secure more cap-exempt cars, but their resolute drive for an $80,000 minimum wage was unfulfilled.

Negotiations have stalled around the $70,000 mark, leaving work to do over the coming week if a pre-Christmas agreement is to be reached.

"Things are looking positive," Gallen said. "They've (the NRL) moved a long way from where they started.

"The NRL came up with a pretty good offer today.

"We're not there yet, but we're not too far away."

Rugby League Players Association boss David Garnsey confirmed talks would continue today.

"It was a lengthy meeting, but it was lengthy because there was some progress made," he said.

"I'm not saying we are close to a deal yet.

"But we've made suitable progress and that's why we are coming back (today).

While the players and administration were thrashing out their differences, the NRL Rules committee - including Lockyer and Bennett - were drawing up a definition for the shoulder charge, which has been outlawed.

It is also suspected that changes will be made to golden point, with their recommendations to be reviewed at the ARLC's end-of-year meeting next Tuesday.

Now all we need to read is that Schubert has been retrenched and a strong/transparent system has been put in place to monitor and police the cap. That's what's needed next.

Yes Mark, we would have wanted to. No stellar salary though. $He's just not worth the $650 thousand per year.

Mark from Brisbane said:
bones said:
Could we have kept T Rex as well if we knew earlier?

Would we want to??

Agreed.
I would have prefered to have kept Lussick and Harrison for about the same coin, than keep T-Rex.
All ifs and buts now though.

Lets get Snake registered.

I think the increase to a $80k minimum salary is the first thing that should be agreed upon if the cap increases. To me that is a no brainer.

I think the big problem is that most contracts signed in the last 12 months or so, have "salary cap increase" clauses in them. Basically when the cap increases by a certain %age so does that players salary, so overall you have no real extra spending money anyway. That is what the big issue at Penrith is and it would be naive to think we aren't in the same boat given the amount of negotiated contracts we've had in the last 12 months.

I think that players should all be signed to % deals not dollar amounts. You get 10% of the cap because you are a goal kicking half back and thats your worth. You get 3% because you are a reserve back and unprovan at first grade. If player A signed a $400K deal (for 4 yrs)two years ago with a 4.2 mill cap now with a 5 million cap he should be getting $500K. If you want to demand 15% of the cap you are saying you are worth three 5% guys- so go prove it.

The salary cap will reach $7 million, minimum wage players will receive a 40 per cent pay rise and Kangaroo stars contesting next year's World Cup could reap $160,000 in representative bonuses.
Those are the highlights of the proposed new collective bargaining agreement which after months of turbulent negotiations could now be finalised before Christmas.
On Monday, News Limited obtained a copy of the draft five-year agreement that was emailed to player representatives from all 16 clubs over the weekend.

As revealed late last week, the ARLC has bowed to pressure to boost next year's salary cap from $4.8 to $5.8 million and also raise the minimum wage from $55,000 to $75,000. The backdown led to a thawing between the parties, who were previously at loggerheads over the ARLC's refusal to erode its $225 million future fund.
A jump in marquee player allowances - from $300,000 to $550,000 - has helped bankroll the cap increase without compromising the future fund.
The cap will rise about $300,000 per year until it hits $7 million in 2017, giving the clubs long-awaited certainty to start negotiating deals with a cast of free agents.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/proposed-collective-bargaining-agreement-for-nrl-players-has-salary-cap-reaching-7-million/story-e6frf3ou-1226539345872#ixzz2FLrdF5vH

Outstanding - The NRL is starting to become a strong, viable, and hopefully world renowned sport like it deserves to be....there is no sport better

bones said:
Could we have kept T Rex as well if we knew earlier?

Well based on his form season just gone I would not really want him retained. Saying that I use to rate the bloke - and will be a tad annoyed if he shines in 2013 under Ha$ler !

DSM5 said:
Now all we need to read is that Schubert has been retrenched and a strong/transparent system has been put in place to monitor and police the cap. That's what's needed next.

Wht we then need is a point system.

eagle-rock08 said:
DSM5 said:

That doesn't work either.
Major reason why Wyong left the Newcastle Comp.
NRL needs to allow players to set there prices. Have heard players have been happy at a club and wanting to sign on for less for the club to stay within the cap but the NRL refuses to register the contract due to they feel the player is worth X amount.

DSM5 said:
Yes Mark, we would have wanted to. No stellar salary though. $He's just not worth the $650 thousand per year.

I'd agree with that, and perhaps should have added "for $650K a year"

As an impact player he's pretty good, as an 80 minute player bloody useless.

I fear that with all those monsters around him over at Belmore he'll be used probably the way he should be used....off the bench like Pritchard and will probably be a raging success.

I hope not, but only because we was a big lazy prick for us this year and I would hate to think he goes to Ha$ler and puts an effort in!!

I said before and I'll stick with it. I'd play him in the front row (reggies if necessary) until he decided /learnt to run hard at the line consistently. Even if it is only as an impact player.

eagles2win said:
eagle-rock08 said:
DSM5 said:

That doesn't work either.
Major reason why Wyong left the Newcastle Comp.
NRL needs to allow players to set there prices. Have heard players have been happy at a club and wanting to sign on for less for the club to stay within the cap but the NRL refuses to register the contract due to they feel the player is worth X amount.

And fair enough too. That's what the salary cap is all about isn't it? Apart from stopping clubs going broke its main intended outcome is supposed to be the fair distribution of talent.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2