NRL plans a round of double header and two triple headers 2012

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
NRL boss David Gallop has finally acted on the growing anger over player burnout by switching next year's Anzac Test match and City-Country to a stand-alone weekend.

And from 2013, Origin matches will be switched to Monday nights to give players at least four days to recover for their club games.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned senior NRL staff have been working on a major scheduling overhaul for weeks after an avalanche of complaints from players and coaches about the workload on rep stars.

Gallop will meet Channel Nine boss David Gyngell and Fox Sports executives next week to brief them on the proposed changes before the clubs are informed at next month's chief executives' meeting.

From next year, the Australia-New Zealand Test will be played on a Friday night with City-County to follow on Sunday afternoon. All clubs will have a bye that weekend.

It will be the first stand-alone weekend of rep matches since 2001, when Origin was played on a Sunday night. The break from club football for the Test match and City-Country will be welcomed by senior players, who are constantly being asked to back up for their clubs either 24 hours after an international or 48 hours after an Origin.

But it won't prevent the unfairness of last weekend's round, when the Dragons played the Titans without 10 of their stars and the Broncos played the Raiders without 11 regulars, while other clubs like the Tigers and Warriors had no rep players.

Still, it's a major improvement by playing on Monday night and giving the stars at least four days to prepare for their next match.

And in a further change to programming, the NRL is planning a blockbuster weekend of rugby league early in the season with a double-header and two triple-headers.

On the Friday night, two games will be played at Eden Park, the super stadium in Auckland that holds a crowd of 55,000.

On the Saturday afternoon and evening, a triple-header will be played at Suncorp in Brisbane involving the Broncos, Titans and the Cowboys.

And on the Sunday afternoon and evening, ANZ Stadium at Homebush will stage a triple-header involving six traditional Sydney rivals.

The gate takings from the estimated combined crowds of 180,000 will be split evenly among the 16 clubs. All the matches will be shown live on both Nine and Fox Sports.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/david-gallop-responds-to-concerns-over-player-burnout/story-e6frexv9-1226077580942?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+bi_rss

-----------------------------------

Friday
Warriors vs Storm
Sharks vs Knights
Sat @ Suncorp
Broncos vs Manly or Broncos vs Bulldogs
Cowboys vs Raiders
Titans vs Panthers
Sun @ ANZ
Dogs vs Dragons or Manly vs Dragons
Souths vs Roosters
Parra vs Tigers

Why will the gate takings be distributed between all 16 clubs, why not only the teams involved ?

After re-looking,i realised all 16 teams are involved.

Which game would you prefer Manly to play , against the queens in Sydney or Broncos at Brookvale Nth ?

Not bad I'd rather them do a melienum weekend like super league with the whole round being played at the same ground

They'll have to do the triple/double header round twice, otherwise some teams will lose a home game and others wont.

Also, what am I supposed to do on the Saturday night of the rep weekend? They didn't think of that.

Jonesyv2 said:
Who cares this is a great news

I care. I think that TokyoEagle has a very valid question. Why should the other teams that are not involved benefit financially from games that they are not involved in? If they are going to start doing that then what's next, getting every other round's gate takings of all teams and pool the money and then evenly distribute the money to each individual club?

Jethro said:
Jonesyv2 said:

I care. I think that TokyoEagle has a very valid question. Why should the other teams that are not involved benefit financially from games that they are not involved in? If they are going to start doing that then what's next, getting every other round's gate takings of all teams and pool the money and then evenly distribute the money to each individual club?

I re-looked Jethro and realised that all teams are covered (Manly is listed twice, but i think that is cause Brisbane are scared to play us at Brookvale Nth), Duff is correct though, some teams will lose home games and others will benefit financially for am away game.

TokyoEagle said:
Jethro said:
Jonesyv2 said:

I re-looked Jethro and realised that all teams are covered (Manly is listed twice, but i think that is cause Brisbane are scared to play us at Brookvale Nth), Duff is correct though, some teams will lose home games and others will benefit financially for am away game.

Fair enough. I didn't go into the depth of looking at the stated team list roster in B_E's original post to make sure that all teams were listed or not and I just took it from what you had written that not all teams were involved and I thought that you had a valid point with what you had asked.

Bulldogs Rooters have got a bit of animosity towards each other. Probably because they are both bought not bred teams.

For the MWTS I would LOVE the Eden Park game....Friday over, game night, Saturday to play and party and home Sunday....sounds like a plan to me!!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8