NRL forced into sweeping reforms

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Why so much? nine and fox do there own advertising to promote there own products and show. If the NRL are paying them WELL heads should roll.

What about bush footy only one NRL game taken to the Country this pre season. What better way to promote footy

And this $100 million attracted how many new fans to the game?
How many footballs, free jerseys, game tickets etc could they have handed out in the schools for this sort of money?

Stuffed if I know what they're spending it on because I can assure you that you see pretty much ZERO advertising for the NRL is SA unless its ads on Nein for Origin or the GF.

Good way to not go about attracting new fans.

I'm sure Richo went first class when he had to go to England to sign Burgess for the Bunnies.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
Stuffed if I know what they're spending it on because I can assure you that you see pretty much ZERO advertising for the NRL is SA unless its ads on Nein for Origin or the GF.

Good way to not go about attracting new fans.
$100 mill preaching to the converted, pure genius.

I guess that explains why ticket prices had to go up... Which of course leads to lesser crowds... But that can always be fixed by... Spending more on marketing... Which means ticket prices will have to go up again... Which of course leads to lesser crowds...

And this $100 million attracted how many new fans to the game?
How many footballs, free jerseys, game tickets etc could they have handed out in the schools for this sort of money?

Only ever get AFL and A League fun days at my kids school. And we're in a working class area of the central coast in RL central.

ugh, what does any 'academic' know about sports??

:p:giggle:

My take on the article seems to show that they are basically saying (now that he is gone) that smith stuffed everything up and spent up big so he could enjoy lavish functions. (I still think it was ridiculous the nrl paid for a car and driver for him when he lost his licence!)

They seems to be portraying smith as the stupid wastrel and john grant as the highly tuned in competent.
Exactly. If the Board is unaware of, and hasn't overtly approved, the ridiculous discretionary spending that brought up this huge loss, then what ARE they doing? Why have a Board at all?

Blaming Smith simply doesn't cut it. The Board is just as responsible. It is their job to be on top of this. And Grant, as Chairman, is the most responsible.

$100 mill preaching to the converted, pure genius.

Well, take a look at the 2015 Origin series when they took a game to the MCG. Now that's fair enough, but to proclaim that it was about introducing new fans to the game......in a city which has had an NRL team for almost 20 years and has already seen numerous tests and Origins played. Attracting new fans? More like an exercise in "Look, we can fill the MCG for a game". And how much money did they spend to do that?

Attracting new fans would have been playing to a full house at Subiaco Oval in Perth or the Adelaide Oval. Melbourne is not about attracting new fans, its about a turf war with the AFL.

Apropos to nothing, simply an observation. The biggest change to the supporter base over the past 20 years has been the number of young female fans.

Parading around Brookie now is almost as popular as going to the Mall.

To think it took them over 100 years to release female cut jerseys.

Knowledgeable Young fans like Ella unheard of.

Speaking of reforms, I hope the NRL does more of this than the **** they normally do:-

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7