NRL forced into sweeping reforms

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
NRL forced into sweeping reforms after spending $100 million on marketing and media in 2015

Date: February 26, 2016 - 10:55PM

Michael Chammas
Sports reporter

The NRL has been forced into a sweeping strategic management restructure after spending more than $100 million on marketing and media in the same year as it registered a $22 million loss.

Following the $60 million blow-out in the marketing and media expenditure from the previous season, the exodus from League Central continued apace on Friday after three senior staff members were made redundant.

Documents obtained by Fairfax Media show the NRL spent $101,095,000 on marketing and media last season almost seven times more than it did in 2012 ($14.7 million).

An updated version of the report, which will be lodged to ASIC next month, will show an increase in expenditure from "events, game and sponsorship" from $78 million in 2014 to $101 million in 2015.

Click here to read more.

They do what They want because they don't see that they are answerable to anyone. They then have the gall to turn round to the clubs and tell them if they don't gets their finances in order they risk losing their licences. Total joke

I wonder how the $100 million spent on marketing and media compares to other Australian sports, especially to the AFL. The AFL is run so much better than the NRL. I have not seen any difference in marketing and media from last year to other years and I wonder where all the money is going to.

• Reminds me of back in the day when we only had Telecom, and they spent 1 million per week advertising to us. And there was no opposition!

Hey NRL bosses! Re your 100 mill marketing budget...

You idiots could have paid a million Aussies $100 bucks each to be members of a club. That would have cost the same as the marketing budget and you would have got a million members.

Ps I'm available to consult with other ideas. For example you could have halved the promotion budget and still paid a million people $50 bucks each to be members. There's a 50 mill saving, and you would still have far greater reach than now.

Surely we have the technology to clone Arko! Even Humphries' colourful past would be better than Greenturd.

It would however be irrefutable proof that he possesses the photos. (he would be the type of a-hole taking pictures while everybody else was having fun)

how about in education and edutech?

ugh, what does any 'academic' know about sports??

:p:giggle:

My take on the article seems to show that they are basically saying (now that he is gone) that smith stuffed everything up and spent up big so he could enjoy lavish functions. (I still think it was ridiculous the nrl paid for a car and driver for him when he lost his licence!)

They seems to be portraying smith as the stupid wastrel and john grant as the highly tuned in competent.

(I still think it was ridiculous the nrl paid for a car and driver for him when he lost his licence!)

Jeez, us mere mortals lose our licence and its a bus we'll be taking, either to work or Centrelink because we've lost that job driving for someone.

Last edited:
ugh, what does any 'academic' know about sports??

:p:giggle:

My take on the article seems to show that they are basically saying (now that he is gone) that smith stuffed everything up and spent up big so he could enjoy lavish functions. (I still think it was ridiculous the nrl paid for a car and driver for him when he lost his licence!)

They seems to be portraying smith as the stupid wastrel and john grant as the highly tuned in competent.
What does a non-academic know about selling to academics??

Whatever I know it works haha

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7