NRL.com 2011 predictions compared to actual results

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly
Hey guys thought i would give a breakdown of what the nrl website was predicting each team would finish in the year compared to where each team actually finished. So here it goes:

Sorry about the edit, cant get to work properly for some reason

Team Predicted Finals Ladder
Broncos 7th 4th 3rd
Dogs 8th - 9th
Raiders 4th - 15th
Cowboys 9th 7th 7th
Titans 11th - 16th
MANLY 7th-10th 1st 2nd
Storm 5-8th 3rd 1st
Knights 10-16th 8th 8th
Parra 10th - 14th
Panthers 13th - 12th
Sharks 16th - 13th
Rabitohs 9-12th - 10th
Dragons 1st 6th 5th
Roosters 3rd - 11th
Warriors 4th 2nd 6th
Tigers 2nd 5th 4th

So based on these predictions:
Most accurate was Rabbitohs
Worst performer based on prediction: Raiders
Best Performer based on prediction: MIGHTY MANLY SEA EAGLES (but we didnt need a stat to work that one out :cool:)

Laurie Daley's take on Manly's season at the start of the year:

Manly to finish 13th

Laurie Daley says: "Like every NRL team, when you've been on top for a while you pay the price with the salary cap. You start to lose players and I think that's what happened at Manly.

2011 Manly NRL Squad
Matt Ballin, Jamie Buhrer, Daly Cherry-Evans, Matt Cross, Kieran Foran, Joe Galuvao, William Hopoate, Jason King, Brent Kite, Darcy Lussick, Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, Vic Mauro, Junior Palau, Michael Robertson, Shane Rodney, George Rose, Terence Seu Seu, Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Anthony Watmough, Dean Whare, David Williams, Tony Williams.

The club's top 19 players are very good, but if they start to get a few injuries and start to put rookies in, it's hard to see them coping as well as some of the other teams. You really need 25 players who can do the job and I don't know that they've got the depth. If Brett Stewart recovers they are a chance of playing finals football but it remains to be seen how quickly he can get back to his best."

New faces: Daniel Harrison (Canterbury-Bankstown), Liam Foran (Newtown Jets), Tim Robinson (Parramatta).

Out the door: Chris Bailey (Harlequins - Super League), Josh Perry (St Helens - Super League), Trent Hodkinson (Canterbury-Bankstown), Ben Farrar (Catalans Dragons - Super League), Lama Tasi (Sydney Roosters).

Last year: Manly made an encouraging start to 2010 despite early-season injuries to speedsters Brett Stewart and David Williams. The Sea Eagles won six of their first nine matches on the back of a representative-laden forward pack and some encouraging performances from a young halves pairing. However, Des Hasler's side developed an alarming habit of surrendering leads in the second half. Ultimately, they scraped into the eight with a horrific injury toll and were promptly eliminated in week one of the finals by eventual premiers St George Illawarra.

Room for improvement: Manly's inability to play for 80 minutes must be addressed. On their day the Sea Eagles have enough talent across the park to defeat any side in the competition, but their squad has been on the decline since their premiership season of 2008. To halt the slide, Des Hasler must toughen up his side around the ruck where his big forwards are often caught out in the back end of games. With ball in hand, Manly's attack will be boosted by the return of David Williams and, hopefully, former New South Wales fullback Brett Stewart. However, the side must quickly settle on a regular halves pairing following the departure of Trent Hodkinson.

Game breaker: Jamie Lyon is coming off one of his best seasons in the NRL. While being able to handle five-eighth comfortably, the representative centre is at his damaging best when taking on opposition defenders at right centre. The return of Stewart and Williams will give opposition defences more to think about from the Manly attack, making Lyon an even greater attacking threat on the fringes.

Rising star: Like in 2010, Manly will pin their hopes on a rookie halfback - this time, Dale Cherry-Evans - to lead around an experienced playing list. At 21, Cherry-Evans has already been included in the Emerging Queensland Origin squad, a sign of his touted potential. There's no doubting that his immediate impact in the top grade will be pivotal to the Sea Eagles' fortunes.

Key arrival: Daniel Harrison arrives at the club after biding his time in a strong Bulldogs squad for a number of seasons. With Manly losing several workmanlike backrowers, the former Toyota Cup Team of the Year member has an opportunity to make his mark in the NRL and rejuvenate the Sea Eagles back row.

Fox Sports Stats: A successful return for Brett Stewart would see Manly gain a significant attacking edge. In the past two seasons he has played just six matches, but in their 2008 premiership season he played 24 matches, scoring 22 tries, making 16 line breaks and 11 line-break assists.

The Adjudicator says: "After such a lacklustre 2010 season I was stunned to see Manly had shopped at Go Lo to grab their off-season recruits. Seriously, Dessie, it aint 2008 anymore - your squad is staler than Bert Newton. This mob will be lucky to make the eight."

Fantasy banker/darkhorse: Matt Ballin ($220K) is a great price for a class hooker who represented Queensland last season. There could be a few Fantasy bolters from the Manly team, but the best bet is Daniel Harrison ($120K) who should make his mark in the Sea Eagles pack.

Apart from that knob The Adjudicator, who is about as funny as a boil on the bum, Daley wrote what I believe most of us were thinking. I know I predicted Manly to finish 6th, and I'm not sure any of us dreamed we'd win the premiership.
It just shows you how changeable the comp is from year to year. About the only constant is Cronulla, Souths and Parra - all constantly disappointing for their supporters!

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8