NRL closes book on bet partner

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
When it comes to getting into bed with an official bookmaking partner, all bets are off for the NRL.
The ARL Commission has confirmed it is almost certain to go into the 2014 season without a preferred wagering partner, perhaps ending forever such a relationship between bookmakers and rugby league.
The development comes as Manly sponsor Centrebet has attempted to part ways with Manly, despite being contracted for next season.
Negotiations between the NRL and Tom Waterhouse - on a deal reportedly worth $20 million over five years - unravelled earlier this year. While several agencies - including long-term partner TAB - expressed interest in taking up the vacant property, it is understood there have been no negotiations between the parties.
Advertisement
''We have not appointed another preferred betting partner and are unlikely to pursue such a relationship in 2014,'' said Paul Kind, the NRL's commercial head.
The NRL has reviewed the category in recent months and concluded the financial return is not enough to offset the adverse publicity around sports wagering.
It pulled out of talks with Tom Waterhouse following a backlash over his saturation coverage on the Nine Network early in the league season. While Waterhouse's role diminished the league will not seek a replacement.
The same cannot be said of Nine, which is poised to unveil Sportsbet as its new official wagering partner.
The Australian Financial Review revealed on Wednesday that the online bookmaker would replace Tom Waterhouse on a deal reportedly worth $40 million over four years.
The value of any deal between the NRL and a betting agency is questionable for both parties in the current climate. Revelations the Australian Crime Commission had identified links between sport and underworld figures - with the potential for match-fixing - have clouded the code during the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority's investigations of rugby league.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-closes-book-on-bet-partner-20131023-2w1q3.html#ixzz2iZq4RGN0

Centrebet needs to find an equivalent replacement, then they could cut and run :idea:

The Nein Sportsbet partnership is no different to the one that they had with Waterhouse :huh:

The sooner the NRL start charging for their data and royalties for the use of each emblem etc, the more equitable these ancilliary relationships will be for the Clubs .

Centrebet may want to rethink now as they will be allowed more time with the Manly which is what they originally wanted

Isn't Waterhouse a Channel 9 'partner' rather than an NRL partner

The Wheel said:
Isn't Waterhouse a Channel 9 'partner' rather than an NRL partner

According to the article they have jumped in whollus bollus with sportsbet. Means more Brian Fletcher but I can cop that if it means no Tom Waterhouse.

The blanket Waterhouse coverage at the start of this year was grotesque if not downright obscene. If the NRL has indeed responded to the justifiable backlash and have decided to distance themselves from the parasitic betting industry, then that is at least one tick to the new commission.

I think the stench surrounding that punter 'Ay Dee' (or whatever he is called), who was spending a lot of time around 'brewsters training sessions during the finals might have something to do with it. Danny Dubya was onto this the other week. I think there will be a degree of innuendo surrounding the refereeing of that game for years to come. Not unlike 1972, but in reverse.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
The blanket Waterhouse coverage at the start of this year was grotesque if not downright obscene. If the NRL has indeed responded to the justifiable backlash and have decided to distance themselves from the parasitic betting industry, then that is at least one tick to the new commission.

I'll bet you $100 the NRL aren't distancing themselves. :p

HappilyManly said:
Centrebet needs to find an equivalent replacement, then they could cut and run :idea:

The Nein Sportsbet partnership is no different to the one that they had with Waterhouse :huh:

The sooner the NRL start charging for their data and royalties for the use of each emblem etc, the more equitable these ancilliary relationships will be for the Clubs .

http://store.seaeagles.com.au/manly-warringah-sea-eagles-2014-mens-home-jersey-pre-sale-37566.phtml

Seems they took my idea - Sportingbet is the Sponsor on the 2014 Manly Jersey.
Good to see that the Players will still have a Soniq boom on their behinds :)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4