1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NRL Classic Commentary 2008

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Bradza, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Bradza

Bradza Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +495 / 6
    I would like to propose a classic commentary comp to recognise the commentators mangling of the English language through the 2008 season with an emphasis on cliches and metaphors in particular.

I think Wayne Pearce would lead the market if one was framed and he got this idea started with this effort last week;
    ".........now they're going from confidence to confidence." instead of strength to strength.
    With Wally out of the picture now, Junior is definitely the best at talking himself into the proverbial corner.

Mark Braybrook came out with this one last night;
    "It's not rocket surgery!"

Add them as you hear them and I guess it doesn't matter if it's a player , coach or commentator so long as it's related to the NRL.

2. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    ha ha Gold. Good idea for a thread too. I can see tallis and Laurie Daley being responsible for a few too, Andrew Johns will surely put his hand up as well

3. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    I think the "rocket surgery" was an intentional tongue in cheek effort.

I could fill a whole thread just on Laurie Daley butchering the use of "did" and "done". I know that ex footballers aren't supposed to be Einsteins, but it's seriously embarrassing listening to him trying to sound intelligent whilst not being able to grasp the basics of the English language.

4. fLIP

fLIP UFO Hunter

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +790 / 15
    Laury Daley likes saying words that start with P so he can puff his cheeks out while talking.

5. ConcernedSupporter

ConcernedSupporter Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Daley holds the trophy for this category IMO.

I don't know when he said it but I bet we will hear it again...

Other commentator asks who does Daley think will win

Daley "well, the team with the most points on the board will take this one out"

Speaking of butchering the English language, can someone please tell Paul Harragon that just because you come from Kurri Kurri doesn't mean you have to speak like you never left!!

6. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    I miss the days of Rex Mossop. He could mangle metaphors like noone else.

7. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Bring back the Moose, it'd be just like deja vu all over again.

8. The Gronk

The Gronk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    I remember him protesting about Reef Beach at Clontarf being a nude beach by saying something like "the last thing you want on a Saturday morning is to have male genitals rammed down your throat"

Gold. 

9. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    I remember that one well. Many many others deserving of a thread of their own. I saw the moose at brookie last year and he came and signed the Save Brookie petition as he headed to his seat.

10. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    Brandy Alexander deserves a mention in his game wrap-up commenting on Snake's try. "He never took the ball off his eyes"...

11. Bradza

Ratings:
    +495 / 6
    Good stuff ManlyBacker, that's exactly what we're after.

Junior Pearce was at it again this afternoon early in the Titans v Warriors match on the Gold Coast. He was wondering why the Warriors were wearing their black strip in North Qld!!

12. ConcernedSupporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Umm so what did he think they should be wearing??

13. QldEagle01

QldEagle01 Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    I remember Laurie Daley commenting one team "was in this competition up to their ear balls".

14. Chip and Chase

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Umm so what did he think they should be wearing??
    [/quote]

They do have a grey coloured away strip that may have been better suited to the hot conditions, but I think the "classic" Bradza is referring to in this piece of commentary is that last time I looked the Gold Coast isn't exactly in North Queensland.

15. ConcernedSupporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    [/quote]
    ................is that last time I looked the Gold Coast isn't exactly in North Queensland.
    [/quote]

LOL that's a very good point!

16. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,115 / 287
    Mark O'Neill commentating on the Manly vs. Bulldogs game:-
    Minute 68 - It's Manly's last tackle options that are letting them down tonight.
    Minute 70 (Two minutes later) - It's Manly's great last tackle options that is the difference tonight.

Dear - o - dear !! I was like - Huh?

17. CliffyIsGod

CliffyIsGod Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    That king-hit must have slowed down the old brain ...

18. Bradza

Ratings:
    +495 / 6
    After the Knights beat the Gold Coast tonight Scott Sattler went to Kurt Gidley for an interview. He says "Well Matty, jibba jibba jibba.........." and Gidley interrupts saying "it's Kurt mate!"

Great stuff up from the rookie sideline man.

19. King

King Active Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 3
    Gordon Tallis is the best hands down.

20. vidmar

vidmar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0
    Not so much commentary but a story that makes me laugh each time I think of it.

I was at a business breakfast that “Hollywood” Harrigan was speaking at (Very good actually and a funny guy with a million stories) and he told one about Gordon Tallis who popped a shoulder at Leichardt one year in a game against the Tigers.

They tried to put it back in to no avail so whisked him off to hospital.

The doctor wanting to avoid surgery tried kneeling on it and rotating it back in with big Gordy howling the place down and using every swear word invented (plus a few others that he made up)

A matron from the maternity ward comes past and wants to see what all the commotion is and recognises the big fella.

“Gordon Tallis I thought you were a big tough Queenslander? I’ve got a lady in my ward who’s just delivered a 10lb baby who didn’t make half the noise you are”

Gordy looks her in the eye and growls “Try shoving the bastard back in and then see what she does!”

Classic