NRL captains to be sent packing under new referee rules

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Daddycool08 said:
What we need is a 'captain's challenge' similar to the NFL.

Where the NFL coach makes a challenge that is unsuccessful the team loses a timeout. If it's successful the team doesn't lose a timeout. Further, there can only be one challenge per half (usually.)

The NRL could have a loss of two interchanges if the challenge fails. Thus reducing the frivolous time-wasting challenges.

I can cite a perfect instance in the Grand Final last year. Jennings played at the ball - it should have been able to be challenged.

They are trialling the Captains call again in 2014 Toyota cup. It had a successful trial from what i heard.

I think given the success (and drama ill admit) that review system have been in sports like cricket and tennis means its going to be introduced.

I reckon we are one game changing call away from it being introduced.

Jethro said:
I was surprised that both Cam Smith and Killer were singled out in this article yet the biggest time wasting team captain in the NRL, Michael Ennis failed to get a single mention.

Prob just thought no need to pick on a team that hasn't enjoyed any success of late.

And also prob thought it wise not to pick on greenburg's old club as he'll still protect them whilst claiming no bias. (allegedly)

Jethro said:
Related Article:

NRL walks the talk by giving refs gagging rights

January 30, 2014
Malcolm Knox

"We want to see more play and less talk," said Todd Greenberg as he introduced rule changes to the NRL, including a ban on captains approaching referees during play to question decisions. Referees will wave the captains away or, if ignored, march them 10 metres. This conjures up what will be, for many, a delicious prospect in round one: Cameron Smith cracking his jokes and flashing his for-refs'-eyes-only dimples at empty space as the game moves on downfield; Jamie Lyon marched all the way into Row J of the Fulton-Menzies Stand, still crying, "Sir? Sir? But what about…?" after a conceded penalty.

Click here to read the full article.

I was surprised that both Cam Smith and Killer were singled out in this article yet the biggest time wasting team captain in the NRL, Michael Ennis failed to get a single mention.

Capture-620x349.jpg

Wow. I can't believe the last two. I guess Thurston isn't considered to be "talking to the ref" when he just swears and stamps his feet while staring at the ref.

Pearce struggles to do any better than spew forth sentence fragments and clichés at the best of times. Trying to comprehend what has just happened, then communicating his frustration in the form of a well constructed sentence would be beyond his linguistic capabilities. lol

mozgrame said:
Jethro said:
Related Article:

January 30, 2014
Malcolm Knox

"We want to see more play and less talk," said Todd Greenberg as he introduced rule changes to the NRL, including a ban on captains approaching referees during play to question decisions. Referees will wave the captains away or, if ignored, march them 10 metres. This conjures up what will be, for many, a delicious prospect in round one: Cameron Smith cracking his jokes and flashing his for-refs'-eyes-only dimples at empty space as the game moves on downfield; Jamie Lyon marched all the way into Row J of the Fulton-Menzies Stand, still crying, "Sir? Sir? But what about…?" after a conceded penalty.

Capture-620x349.jpg

Wow. I can't believe the last two. I guess Thurston isn't considered to be "talking to the ref" when he just swears and stamps his feet while staring at the ref.

Pearce struggles to do any better that spew forth sentence fragments and clichés at the best of times. Trying to comprehend what has just happened, then communicating his frustration in the form of a well constructed sentence would be beyond his linguistic capabilities. lol

and going by those stats, it's amazing that Malcolm Knox (the article author) even bothered to mention Cameron Smith as there are many more above him that are more chatty to the refs than him.

Jethro said:
mozgrame said:
Jethro said:
Related Article:

January 30, 2014
Malcolm Knox

Capture-620x349.jpg

Pearce struggles to do any better that spew forth sentence fragments and clichés at the best of times. Trying to comprehend what has just happened, then communicating his frustration in the form of a well constructed sentence would be beyond his linguistic capabilities. lol

and going by those stats, it's amazing that Malcolm Knox (the article author) even bothered to mention Cameron Smith as there are many more above him that are more chatty to the refs than him.

Yes that's true. Ben Creagh surprises me. I guess it shows how little interest I have in Dragons games. I think the emphasis should be shifted from Captains that question refs (which I think distinguishes good Captains from average) back to the crap calls made by refs. Every game of every round contained bad/mind boggling calls last year.

Until the NRL can provide a system that ensures the correct decisions are made by refs during games, the game will not be the superior, professional product they want. Players fitness and skill levels have improved 10 fold in the last ten years. The games are certainly more entertaining (I can't believe some of the tries wingers pull off these days). The marketing is not bad. The only consistent let down are the refs and their bad calls that influence results and stink of corruption.

Bring back the shoulder charges, and let the players punch on too! LOL

JT has a low score as he doesn't question the Refs' decision, he straight out accuses the whole NRL of yet another conspiracy :cool:

I hope Manly knocks them out of contention in the last round :D

mozgrame said:
Yes that's true. Ben Creagh surprises me. I guess it shows how little interest I have in Dragons games. I think the emphasis should be shifted from Captains that question refs (which I think distinguishes good Captains from average) back to the crap calls made by refs. Every game of every round contained bad/mind boggling calls last year.

Until the NRL can provide a system that ensures the correct decisions are made by refs during games, the game will not be the superior, professional product they want. Players fitness and skill levels have improved 10 fold in the last ten years. The games are certainly more entertaining (I can't believe some of the tries wingers pull off these days). The marketing is not bad. The only consistent let down are the refs and there bad calls that influence results and stink of corruption.

Bring back the shoulder charges, and let the players punch on too! LOL

Yes, you are right in so much of what you have said. :)

The referees are definitely dragging the chain as far as the games improvement over the years and yes, their bad calls that influence results do tend to stink of corruption (but that's not to say that they actually are corrupt).

As for your comment "Bring back the shoulder charges, and let the players punch on too!"
imthinkin6.gif
nocomment.gif
Nod.gif
:D
sigpic28152_1.gif

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4