NRL and decision making

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
Country footy is still dying. We are not seeing too many earth shattering decisions from the NRL. We used to have the Amco Cup and in its early stages involved all of the regional groups against the Sydney teams. Every decade before this had competitions where weekends were set aside for matches between city and country teams. Often, more than one City v Country in a season usually used as selection trials. Understandably not an achievable project now.
The Thailand NRL has just announced in their efforts to grow the game, that all Round 6 games of their season will be played in regional areas. The "away" teams of this round will also play a home game in regional areas during the remainder of the season.
Not a bad idea, you might say this is happening now but not as an NRL initiative. We are all self centred and want all of our games at Brooky but to stimulate country footy and interest in League throughout NSW country, all teams need to be encouraged to provide this incentive.

But the NRL is pushing to have all Sydney games out of 2 venues. Probably they believe they will be able to offer the game to more fans, so let's take it away from the traditional grounds in the hope of growing the game in Sydney. Let's alienate the support we have now. We have done it to the NSW Country let's do it to Sydney. Are they trying to get Sydney teams to relocate? DO they want to have a 10 team competition, a team in every major location? Smells of SuperLeague logic.

Need some transparency from the NRL, where are they taking the game in the next 10 years?

eagle66 said:
The Thailand NRL has just announced in their efforts to grow the game, that all Round 6 games of their season will be played in regional areas. ...

... Need some transparency from the NRL, where are they taking the game in the next 10 years?
Maybe you answered your own question.
Could work? >> The Bangkok Bunnies, Thai Tigers etc.

The NRL make very few decisions. What they do is stumble reactively from crisis to crisis.

The current crisis from their perspective would have to be ground attendances. They will not see any connection between this and the TV networks controlling many aspects of the game for their own benefit.

The current crisis from the clubs point of view would have to be refereeing standards and financial / cap considerations.

The current crisis from the fans point of view, is local ground amenities, refereeing consistency and of course long term player rentention / the cap and the whole product credibility.

The NRL is a mess. Greenturd should quit. The clubs, the rule changes, the refereeing is a mess. Think they have to address all the common issues together which is a big job. There will be no quick fix to any of it.

Surprised that nothing has been organised this year - 40th anniversary of the Group teams(think it was Group 9) winning one of the comps (Amco or whatever).

It could be easy to do - Group teams, Ron Massey Cup teams, Newcastle Rebels (team made up from the Real NRL), NSW Cup teams and then pending on the success of it QLD Cup etc

The NSW Cup at one time was mooted to be a true statewide competition where the country teams were to be invited to join. This I believe is why they were taken away from the main games to be treated as totally separate entities however, somebody forgot to go to step 2, invite teams to participate. The NRL give the impression that they only need the top 25 players from each team to market their product. I say their product as I rarely feel like it is my product. This I believe is why they were stuffing around with the reserve grade and attempting to create a new market. All good if they follow through.

eagle66 said:
The NSW Cup at one time was mooted to be a true statewide competition where the country teams were to be invited to join. This I believe is why they were taken away from the main games to be treated as totally separate entities however, somebody forgot to go to step 2, invite teams to participate. The NRL give the impression that they only need the top 25 players from each team to market their product. I say their product as I rarely feel like it is my product. This I believe is why they were stuffing around with the reserve grade and attempting to create a new market. All good if they follow through.

Be great to see if it happens.
Have heard that Fiji are looking at joining the Qld Cup they're just seeing how the Hunters (PNG) team goes.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6