Now the Sea Eagles make play for Mason

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Adrian Proszenko | November 11, 2007 Sun Herald

MANLY have made a last-minute bid to sign Willie Mason in a shock move which has further complicated the future of the disgruntled Bulldog.

The Sun-Herald can reveal Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler has contacted Mason's manager, Greg Keenan, with a view to luring the Kangaroos forward to the northern beaches.

The development comes as St George Illawarra and Wigan officially joined the race for Mason's signature.

Sea Eagles CEO Grant Mayer said during the week the club wasn't interested in Mason as he had not been released by the Bulldogs. But it's understood the grand finalists are hopeful of freeing up enough funds to make a competitive offer for the 27-year-old.

What is complicating any deal is the Dogs' decision not to allow any player swaps in exchange for their disgruntled forward. This means clubs might need to negotiate with other clubs to off-load players and make room for Mason under the salary cap.

The Sea Eagles, who would most likely play Mason in the front row, would need to lose at least one player to find a place for Mason.

"At the moment, I have no comment to make, sorry," Hasler said when asked about Mason.

Super League club Hull has made a massive offer for Mason, while the Dragons finally confirmed their interest via a press release on the website yesterday. The Sun-Herald revealed last week Hull FC made an approach but Wigan is the only Super League club in the frame.

"We still have space in our roster for one or two more players for next season and with Willie potentially available we met this morning to discuss his situation," Dragons CEO Peter Doust said. "It is fair to say that there is some interest and things to consider for both sides but the discussions were preliminary and at this stage the club has no further comment to make."

Mason talked yesterday about the suitors lining up for his services - except for Manly.

"A big [offer] from Wigan came in, in just the last 24 hours, which is pretty tempting," he said. "Cronulla - I love Ricky Stuart as a coach, he's been unreal. Every time I seem to play under him I play my best football.

"There's the Roosters, of course. [Brad] Freddie Fittler, I've played with him and against him and I really relate to him. And St George Illawarra, I had a meeting with Browny [coach Nathan Brown] and Dousty this morning and they are a very professional outfit."

Prior to Manly's interest, the Roosters were favoured to sign up Mason. However, he said there were no favourites at present.

The Test forward has been embroiled in a public feud with Bulldogs boss Malcolm Noad over a number of issues, including his wanting to take up professional boxing. Banned from preseason training with the Bulldogs, Mason will begin training alongside brother Les under the guidance of boxing trainer Mark Gambin at the Kostya Tszyu academy.

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said salary cap auditor Ian Schubert would scrutinise any move into the ring.

"We don't have any specific proposal to look at at the moment," he said. "If and when we do, the salary cap auditor [Ian Schubert] will need to be satisfied it met the salary cap rules."

well hope they payed jack **** for hopeless williamson would hate it if we missed mason because we payed to much for that old mule williamson

Awesome

Mason
Ballin
Kite
Watmough
Stewart
Williamson

King
Cuthbertson
Perry
Menzies

Toovs, the bagging of Williamson is getting tiring, he plays a crucial role in the side if you watch closely enough

Who would have the size pay-packet that we'd offload for Mason?

Kite
King
Watmough
Menzies

I'd rather all of those 4 (even King) to the class clown.

How long would it be before Mason claims that "Manly is ruining his reputation"? A joke. The club has had a successful no-dickheads policy and they should stick to it.

I would rather pick up Ashley Harrison if the Roosters want to cut him. Manly could turn his career around.

I would rather pick up Ashley Harrison if the Roosters want to cut him. Manly could turn his career around.

Manly sign Ashley Harrison :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He is rubbish. Why not sign Peter Cusak and Chris Walker and have Alan Jones coach Manly as well. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I rate Harrison. He's an origin player.

He last played origin in 2005. Not the same player since he did his knee last year and anyway he has gone back home to the titans..

At least the pubs in the eastern suburbs will be happy.

I read that some roosters supporters are going ot burn their season tickets in the leagues club if they sign Mason. That's his problem. Some supporters will love him and some will hate him. Nothing in the middle

If he came to Manly I wouldn't burn my membership. He is a fantastic impact player on the field - it is just all the other crap you have to put up with.

I'll probably have a laugh if Harrison fires at the Gold Coast. Harrison has done nothing for over a year, but he WAS sensational. He doesn't deserve big money the way he is now but I wouldn't be surprised that getting him away from the latte and blow set doesn't get him back on track.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8