Not So Independant

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Frogz

Bencher
Premium Member
ARL to consider extra Storm funding

Greg Buckle AAP Fri, Feb 24, 2012 - 7:12 PM

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant has left the door open for a possible funding boost for the Storm to help grow the game in Melbourne.

Grant says the Storm are a long-term club and deserve to be given every possible assistance.

"It's tough territory down here. This is AFL territory," Grant told reporters.

"It's a bit like AFL going to Greater Western Sydney.

"So they need a lot of support through the administration in order to be a team that's going to prosper over the long term.

"This is about sustainable footy clubs. When you put a stake in the ground around a footy club like this, this has got to be the 100-year footy club.

"So you've got to put in."

Grant, who attended the Storm's season launch in Melbourne on Thursday night, said the new commission was aware of the different challenges facing certain clubs.

"At the moment, the funding that comes from the Commission is pretty level across all the clubs," he said.

"Over time, we need to understand how that's working for various clubs because each club has different opportunities.

"The Broncos have got a bigger opportunity than the Melbourne Storm.

"So we've got to think about how we can help them get the best performance that they can do and then make sure we balance it up so they get sustainability.

"We will look at where the money's being placed today, what available money we can increase to make that grow and where we can place it tomorrow to make sure it gives the game the best helping hand.

"The Melbourne footy club is a long-term footy club so we've got to make sure it stays that way.

"Melbourne have been here for 15 years and they've been such a great club for that period of time.

"Melbourne's a very key part of our business so that's our responsibility to make sure that they know that we're thinking of them and they feel very included."

Frogz said:
ARL to consider extra Storm funding

"Melbourne have been here for 15 years and they've been such a great club for that period of time."

Yeah, I really loved it when they took it upon themselves to disregard the salary cap and started paying their players in speedboats and brown paper bags. That was one of the most noble episodes in rugby league history - so great for the game.

It is true though. They should set up some kind of development fund though, it would give a little bit more transparency than giving the Storm the money to do what they see fit.

Wasn't the propping up of The Scum one of the exit clauses that News Limited stipulated ? That, and onging employment for that muppet Gallop.

An alternative is for the arl to put some $ into promoting the game in Victoria. They don't have to give it to the storm.

I know I will get howled down for saying this but here goes.

I think the Storm and the Perth team when they start up justifiably deserve financial assistance when they sign someone from interstate.

For a player to move interstate it costs money and consequently they will stay in their home town for (my guess) around $50k a season less than any offer to lure them away. Vic & WA dont have juniors and therefore they have to buy all their players.

Therefore I think it is fair to subsidise their costs by this amount.

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:

I think the Storm and the Perth team when they start up justifiably deserve financial assistance when they sign someone from interstate.

For a player to move interstate it costs money and consequently they will stay in their home town for (my guess) around $50k a season less than any offer to lure them away. Vic & WA dont have juniors and therefore they have to buy all their players.

A couple of things with this

Where do you draw a line do you offer this to the cows and warriors.

Maybe the RLPA need to negotiate a relocation allowance outside the cap for all clubs based on a minimum distance of 800kms.

I don't think the storm or wa franchise I should get anymore money. I think extra money should go to the Warl and the Vrl develop the game and excelerate junior development.

13 years you would think we would see trickles of Victorian juniors come thru. Warl have done an amazing job developing juniors and have an outstanding school program.

Ernie then you could argue about the cost of living

i.e. the value of real estate for Manly / Easts players compared to the panthers?

lsz said:

i.e. the value of real estate for Manly / Easts players compared to the panthers?

sure, should also be considered - although anyone on decent size contract doesnt end up living in the western suburbs they commute

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
lsz said:

sure, should also be considered - although anyone on decent size contract doesnt end up living in the western suburbs they commute

Agree but where do you draw the line?

Garts said:
We need a team in Melbourne. If they need assistance, so be it.
We do but it needs to have a real Victorian
Flavor about it ATM the storm is nothing but a transplanted 4th qld side. I'm all for throwing extra $$$$ at the VRL for junior development and for marketing the game.

Cambo said:
ERNIE FOR NO7 said:

A couple of things with this

Where do you draw a line do you offer this to the cows and warriors.

Maybe the RLPA need to negotiate a relocation allowance outside the cap for all clubs based on a minimum distance of 800kms.

I don't think the storm or wa franchise I should get anymore money. I think extra money should go to the Warl and the Vrl develop the game and excelerate junior development.

13 years you would think we would see trickles of Victorian juniors come thru. Warl have done an amazing job developing juniors and have an outstanding school program.

exactly. if they need assistance long term then get the $ into the grass roots level and grow the game rather than just import it down there

You've gotta put the investment in if we want the game to grow. Not sure where the money would be most effective, but its worth putting in somewhere.

THE Independent Commission should invest in the game in VIC and WA and shouldn't be left to the clubs, the game will never grow much without the Commission's help. The AFL would be paying for all the program's they run in NSW and QLD I'm sure, wouldn't be the Swans or the Lions.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7