Not scoring enough points early.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
All this talk about defence winning games is over-rated in my opinion, yes it keeps you in games for a chance to win but if you lack a good attack all that effort will go to waste. Defence is mostly about attitude with the last 30% being good defensive structures that separate the good from the great defensive outfits.

Manly for the last 5-6yrs have had a good attitude so generally we tend to keep ourselves in games most of the time, the problem is we don't score enough points against a fresh defensive line in the early exchanges to put pressure on teams for the remainder of the game.

You judge an attack on how well it's structures can break through a defence in the early exchanges.(most of the first half and especially the first 20mins) Putting on points applies more pressure on the opposition to risk more, it takes a load off your defensive efforts and also builds confidence in your attack for the remainder of the game.

Picking up the intensity against a fatiguing outfit and scoring points is not an improvement in attack but i will say the intensity, speed and overall energy was lacking today. Combine the above with a poor attack and you get "the grind" that should not have been the case, very disappointing and a loss we will look back on big time at the end of the season.

On a side note nothing of sharpness or variation is evident up the middle, watching the amount of off the ball work Slater does in trailing the ball carriers on top of actually ball playing at the line is impressive to watch. It's not entirely on Bretts shoulders to offer this option in my opinion but damn he needs to inject himself more.

Lovely outside in running line from Symonds though off a short ball well timed and this kind of running is what makes defences commit to making a defensive move, not just slide all the time forcing us wide.

Technical Coach said:
All this talk about defence winning games is over-rated in my opinion, yes it keeps you in games for a chance to win but if you lack a good attack all that effort will go to waste. Defence is mostly about attitude with the last 30% being good defensive structures that separate the good from the great defensive outfits.

Manly for the last 5-6yrs have had a good attitude so generally we tend to keep ourselves in games most of the time, the problem is we don't score enough points against a fresh defensive line in the early exchanges to put pressure on teams for the remainder of the game.

You judge an attack on how well it's structures can break through a defence in the early exchanges.(most of the first half and especially the first 20mins) Putting on points applies more pressure on the opposition to risk more, it takes a load off your defensive efforts and also builds confidence in your attack for the remainder of the game.

Picking up the intensity against a fatiguing outfit and scoring points is not an improvement in attack but i will say the intensity, speed and overall energy was lacking today. Combine the above with a poor attack and you get "the grind" that should not have been the case, very disappointing and a loss we will look back on big time at the end of the season.

On a side note nothing of sharpness or variation is evident up the middle, watching the amount of off the ball work Slater does in trailing the ball carriers on top of actually ball playing at the line is impressive to watch. It's not entirely on Bretts shoulders to offer this option in my opinion but damn he needs to inject himself more.

Lovely outside in running line from Symonds though off a short ball well timed and this kind of running is what makes defences commit to making a defensive move, not just slide all the time forcing us wide.
Oh NO. I am gutted enough with our poor attitude, the LOSS, DCE's bad haircut and now there's a massive TC analysis/post to digest. I can't.

I agree TC, you're right on the money mate. Hopefully Toovey's game plan for next week is to score 60 points before halftime so we dont have to rely on defence.

Have a cold shower and a nap.

bazeagle said:
Oh NO. I am gutted enough with our poor attitude, the LOSS, DCE's bad haircut and now there's a massive TC analysis/post to digest. I can't.

Lol. Rugby League is not the right game for you.

bazeagle said:
Technical Coach said:

Don't get me started on people trying to be individuals through fashion and tatts, always a sign ones head is not in the right frame of mind. Conversely we don't want people all looking the same but some fashion choices are more made for the "look at me for the wrong reasons" not for the quality of your performances or character.

Napper said:
I agree TC, you're right on the money mate. Hopefully Toovey's game plan for next week is to score 60 points before halftime so we dont have to rely on defence.

Have a cold shower and a nap.

Exaggerating my comments for effect does not keep my comments in context. A team full of internationals should be able to score 1-2 tries in one half of football especially with a spine that has been together for 3years and a full compliment of outside backs.

Defence will always be important don't get me wrong and it shows our effort and attitude are in the right place and should always be the base of a good performance but it is pointless if you don't score points to take advantage of such good qualities.

Pittwater Legend said:
bazeagle said:

Lol. Rugby League is not the right game for you.
What kind of post is this. Arrogance is a word that springs to mind.

Technical Coach said:
QldEagle01 said:
Was only goal kicking that lost the game, fullstop!

If goal kicking is the basis of winning and losing most games there are more serious issues to be dealt with creating that scenario.

Most games? Lyon had an off night he kicks at least one and I believe we would have won in golden point time. We were coming home much stronger than the tits.

BTW Didn't we score 32 points last week?

Daniel said:
You lost me at talk

For the owner of the site to reply in such a manner that is not thoughtful or offering up something constructive in return makes it open slather for others to lower the quality of debate down to a pathetic level.

There have been positive signs this year that i have complimented but i also stated against a well drilled defensive outfit our attack will struggle in the red zone.

It's fair game now for everyone to just lower the banter down to one liners something i hold back from doing for the greater good of this site lol. Mind you it would help in shortening up my posts and offering my true character in these forums so that is a positive i guess.

Technical Coach said:
i hold back from doing for the greater good of this site lol.

My valuable contribution is holding back from long winded, meandering, aimless posts.

Jatz is a crowd favourite.

Technical Coach said:
Daniel said:
You lost me at talk

For the owner of the site to reply in such a manner that is not thoughtful or offering up something constructive in return makes it open slather for others to lower the quality of debate down to a pathetic level.

There have been positive signs this year that i have complimented but i also stated against a well drilled defensive outfit our attack will struggle in the red zone.

It's fair game now for everyone to just lower the banter down to one liners something i hold back from doing for the greater good of this site lol. Mind you it would help in shortening up my posts and offering my true character in these forums so that is a positive i guess.

Are shoulder pads and headgear a defensive outfit?

Technical Coach said:
Daniel said:
You lost me at talk

Whatever you reckon TC.

The problem today was that we didn't build any pressure in their red zone, mainly in the first half. We kept on making stupid errors when we got to their 40 metre line. That being said we had 2 tries disallowed in the first half that were within a whisker of being tries.

Tc it is a tough one when you consider 2010 when we fell apart at the back end of almost every game

MPC75 said:
The problem today was that we didn't build any pressure in their red zone, mainly in the first half. We kept on making stupid errors when we got to their 40 metre line. That being said we had 2 tries disallowed in the first half that were within a whisker of being tries.

I agree about not building pressure in the red zone this game, my observations are made based on the last few years even during the premiership of 2011.

We get into the grind way too often than is necessary due to an attack that struggles to put on early tries.

Many games over the past few years we have won the early exchanges the forwards have done their job but nothing on the score board to show for their efforts. If we rectify this area in our game we win the "Minor Premiership" and GF in the same year and can easily account for Melb.

It's not good enough for a squad that is 90% rep level to not score one try in the first 40mins fullstop on a dry fast deck.

I actually look at it as a positive to not have G.Stewart in our attack for now as technically looking at the bigger picture we go through too many hands and not direct enough with most of our plays on that side. Adding another ballplayer which at times i admit it looks good but other times it lacks direct punch and over complicates simple plays.

This is an opportunity to polish our attack with more effective direct structures with simple running lines and add more creativity up the middle with sharpness, there are signs it is happening but today was more of 2012.

lsz said:
Tc it is a tough one when you consider 2010 when we fell apart at the back end of almost every game

We fell apart because we could not sustain the intensity due to a squad that beefed up too much and was not fit enough to sustain the high intensity we displayed in the early stages.

It's not a case of score plenty of points early and fatigue in the second half, we just did not have the right fitness levels to sustain the intensity for 80mins on top of other factors.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8