Nonu knocks back Tigers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Nonu palms Wests Tigers to stay in NZ

October 16, 2007

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Non...300760528.html
Wests Tigers are ruing a late change of heart from former All Blacks winger Ma'a Nonu, who has rejected an offer to switch codes to re-sign with the New Zealand Rugby Union.
The NRL club were confident of securing the 18-Test All Black's signature as recently as last Friday before he opted out.
"We thought we had him. We were close to having it done last week, then his manager (Warren Alcock) called on Friday to say he'd re-signed with the NZRU," Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell told NZPA.
The Tigers pursued Nonu in recent weeks as they looked to sign a replacement centre for Kiwi Paul Whatuira who has joined English club Huddersfield.
McDonnell admitted the NRL salary cap restricted the size of their tabled offer, and Nonu probably would have had to take a small pay cut to switch codes.
"I think he would have been great in our game. We certainly identified him as someone we seriously wanted."
Instead Nonu, 25, will focus on this weekend's Air NZ Cup final for Wellington against Auckland, then next year's Super 14.
At 104kg and 1.82m, he was seen as an ideal candidate for league with his speed, devastating ball running and powerful fend.
Nonu, who was dropped by the All Blacks selectors for the Tri-Nations and World Cup, has regularly spoken of his desire to switch codes later in his career.
His cousin, Jack Afamasaga, plays for Manly in NRL and made his first grand final appearance in the loss to Melbourne last month.
© 2007 AAP

Wests/Tigers should relocate to Wellingotn. Just how many Kiwi's can one club sign?
Remember when Graham Lowe was the Manly Coach. We had that many Kiwi's in our team that we had the nickname "Maori-Warringah".

only one of them went alright???

you cant remember it real well, which one are you talking about?

We should be trying to track down that winger from the USA - Ngwenya that scorched Habana.

Habana runs the 100 in 10.4 so I can only imagine how fast the other bloke is.

Would probably come cheap being a dumb Zimbabwean and all.

Mathew Ridge was the only one who really stood out and won us plenty of games. I'd put him on par with Eadie as our best fullback.

Eadie was around for longer. Ridge was great though the Superleague thing diminished him in my books. Wombat was Manly all his career and was here for ions!

Aren't we made up of ions? Maybe CW was referring to 'us all' when he said Eadie was around for us ions".

so are you actually qouting something there DSM5?

if so it wasnt actually what he said.

"was here for ions!" would have been more accurate.

Looks like your comprehension skills are about as accurate as your judgement of NZ footballers :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7