No Storm unturned

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
No Storm unturned

Zorba

26 July 2008
http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/07/2...297_sports.html

NO game in the past 15 seasons has had pre-sales like the Sea Eagles v Melbourne Storm clash at Brookie on August 8, with the Jane Try and Ken Arthurson grandstands sold out, less than 200 seats remaining in the southern stand and a real possibility of a capacity crowd.

Only general admission tickets will be available for the match from next Monday.

Fans are eager to be at the grand final replay game but have neglected the game next Friday night against the Penrith Panthers at Brookvale Oval with ticket sales very slow by comparison.

The Sea Eagles have only three more home games at Brookvale Oval before the final series, against Penrith on August 1, the Storm on August 8 and the Gold Coast Titans on a day to be decided next week by the NRL.

Manly have asked for a Sunday afternoon game to celebrate Steve Menzies' last premiership game at his favourite ground.

The Sea Eagles need two wins from the last seven games to ensure a top-four spot and the club's second home semi-final in successive years.

THE professionalism of today's NRL stars never ceases to amaze me. Jamie Lyon underwent an operation to repair medial ligament damage in the Mater Hospital on Wednesday.

Less than 24 hours later he was on the physiotherapist's table at the team's headquarters at the Academy of Sport at Narrabeen in pain but receiving treatment to speed up his recovery.

The injury to Lyon in the first half of last Friday's clash against Parramatta was a bodyblow to the Sea Eagles with the five-eighth in brilliant form lately.

The Manly medical team and support staff are the best in the NRL and they are hopeful "Killer" will be back for a game before the finals or the first semi-final weekend at the latest.

MANLY'S traditional after-match invasion of Brookvale Oval by youngsters will be copied at the Sydney Football Stadium tomorrow after the Sea Eagles v Roosters clash.

The Roosters have promoted the match as a family day and want youngsters to take a football to the game and enjoy a kick on the ground after full time.

It's an initiative which is time-honoured at Brookvale Oval and will be continued into the future.

One of the Sea Eagles' part-owners, Brett Delmege, is often the last to leave Brookie before the lights are turned off, as his young son refuses to come off the field.

HOW good are Matt Ballin and Heath L'Estrange handling the hooking job at the Sea Eagles?

Both have had outstanding seasons and have played major roles in Manly's season so far. Ballin's work ethic is second to none and the super fit no.9 is proving a handful for every defence close to the line.

He is also providing smart service from dummy-half to his backs. After Ballin has done his bit "The Stranger" has been used to great effect by coach Des Hasler. So well are the two playing that they have extinguished the early season barrage of criticism levelled at the club for allowing Michael Monaghan to go to England.

Snake's evolution to marquee player

Jason Avedissian

26 July 2008

HE is normally the one taking advantage of open space.

Using his blinding speed to turn a speculative movement into a guaranteed four-pointer.

It's a trait which has made Manly fullback Brett Stewart the superstar he is today.

But there is now increasingly more to the 23-year-old who is quietly developing his game at a time when the club needs him most.

With five-eighth Jamie Lyon (knee) gone for at least the next six weeks and half Matt Orford missing against the Eels last Friday night more was required of Stewart.

And after his fine all-round performance in Manly's brilliant win over Parramatta, he's delivering.

"Obviously losing Ox (Matt Orford) before the game and then losing Jamie Lyon during the game a couple of us had to step up," Stewart said of his role in the absence of a couple of play-makers against the Eels.

"I found myself in the front line and just tried to get my hands on the ball a bit more.

"I don't mind getting in there at plus two (second receiver) a bit more."

That's football talk for more kicking, passing and directing traffic outside the half.

Stewart's increased involvement in games has not gone unnoticed with Manly assistant coach Geoff Toovey convinced it's the only way to stay ahead of the opposition.

"Everyone has to evolve as players," the former Manly halfback said yesterday.

"You can't have the same game year after year. It becomes easy for opposition teams to predict what you're going to do. He's (Stewart) grown as a player every year and we expect that.

"I know he prides himself on developing his game each week, each month."

Stewart's desire to evolve started after viewing footage of ex-Sea Eagles fullback Graham Eadie.

The hard-running custodian was not as quick as his modern-day successor, but possessed the ability to put others away.

"He was setting up more than scoring them," Stewart said of Eadie earlier in the season. A trait Stewart is now doing, with the addition of scoring them.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8