No silvertail lining: Sea Eagles now on struggle street

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Darren said:
heck, forgot about the pokie tax!! this tv rights is going to be big for all the clubs it sounds
Although the new State Government has eased the burden there. No guarantee that Andrew Wilkie will actually get his way at federal level anyway.

I wouldn't be putting all my faith in the new TV deal. There's been a lot of hyperbole thrown about regarding the expected size of the deal. But some keen observers and players in that area are suggesting the deal won't be as big as the NRL boosters would have you believe.

Phantar said:
Or it could be the Club president indicating in no uncertain terms that David Perry has his (and the Board's) approval to make changes - like Peter Peters being made redundant.

People shouldn't kid themselves that this is a major beat-up. Not when Brad Walter (who I think is pretty even-handed in his writings) appears to have received full cooperation, in writing his story, from the highest placed official within the organisation. Nor should people kid themselves that the way we are perceived as a club, doesn't have a direct impact on our ability to attract sponsors, ground improvement funding, positive headlines etc.

Perry was headhunted for an obvious reason. He previously worked for the most financially successful RL club in the country - and one that doesn't seem to have much trouble achieving any of those off-field outcomes I just spoke of.

Totally agree, our relationship with the NRL, who we know are part owned by news ltd, has been terrible and now we a copping it in spades. It's time to move on from all the negatives and whether we like it or not we might have to kiss some arse in the process to rebuild that relationship. Our brand has be in the media for all the wrong reasons which as you say will scare away potential sponsors. At the moment the Manly club and anyone who speaks out at the club are preceived as whingers. Time to STFU and get on with playing league.

You can't compare Sydney to Melbourne when you talk abou centralising the grounds.
Melbourne is a centralised city anyway. Sydney is localised, people live in their little areas and that's it.
The Northern Beaches mentality is that you don't leave the beaches unless you're going to Bali.
My life takes me accross Spit Bridge on a regular basis. I always get comments from local people that if I hang around the inner city areas so much "why don't you move over there?". It just doesn't make any sense to them that I would have freinds or activities that aren't in the Northern Beaches book of normality.

Do you really expect these people to travel to the SFS to watch the Eagles play? Without joking, they need a GPS to get to the airport. Yes, the hardcore fans would travel but if the games were moved away from Brookie, Rugby League would become a non-Beaches thing. The band scene used to be big in the 70's with the Antler and so on. When that moved away from the Beaches to the inner city, watching bands became something that people up this way don't do. They think it's all a bit weird & in weird places & full of people who don't surf.
This is what footy would become. How can a club survive if it's own demographic have no connection to it?

The problem with any change of strategy in terms of moving games/home ground is that Perry and co will have to deal with the football club (ie Bob reilly and co). The football I think has an enshrined by laws that they must protect the colours, name and location/home ground. The Sea Eagles must play 10 games per year at Brookie unless a membership vote approves a change - not an easy thing to get I say.

II would like to remind you all of the NRL belatedy forcing Manly into setting up a NSW Cup Team this year. That must have blown all financial forecasts out this year. All the Junior Comps would have been deregistered - this from Gallop the Childrens' Defender!

The Membership demographics from 2011 would highlight where most Fans need to travel from. They could also collect post codes at the gates at Brookie to better understand the Fans' travel distances.

Couldn't agree more with the last three points - all pertinent. The immediate challenge is obviously to stop haemorrhaging money (anyway possible) and repair the relationship with the NRL. Then I think they can start looking at the viability of remaining at Brookvale long-term. As I said before though, if you present the members with the facts, they will vote for whatever option will save the Club. If that means leaving Brookvale for a while, so be it. I don't think it has to be permanent though. Warringah Council might start to get serious about its premier sporting asset and lobby with the Club for more serious upgrades. As I said, similar things happened at Kogarah. They could happen at Brookvale too.

The main reason we are losing money this year is we didn't have a sponsor for most of it, and that's the clubs own fault.

Things have got to change though, Penn isn't going to tear up a million a year forever before he walks away.

West Tigers were in the same boat as us 5 years ago but they started taking some of their big games to big Stadiums, which worked.

I work for Xerox, and the Bronco's are one of my customers. Walking into their offices is like walking into any top Corporate; magnificent facility's, 50 staff in the back office, you can see they mean business off the field. Hard to make comparisons when they are the only team in a big city but it highlights the yawning gap between them and the likes of Manly.

Keep going the way we are and our only hope would be another rich saviour prepared to burn some cash.

It is good to see that the club is trying to become a profitable club. The new tv rights will also help us out financially.

yeah but do you think all Carlton and Collingwood fans live in their local area? Carlton is very rich and very few "locals" go to the games, inner city trendies. I have a friend who lives in north west of Melb and goes to Pies games all the time. He gets a bus organised to get there with 30 fans. Every 2nd person I talk to travel from outside the Northern Beaches anyway!! I know straight off 3 from Penrith, me and Johnny from Gong, and could keep going. Central coast, Silverwater, Groggo from Shire etc. If you are a fair dinkum fan you will go where your team is.

The writing is on the wall, seems like the Penns are keen to start making money from their "business". You can safely assume that there will be no room for emotion in their bid to drive the commercial aspect of it. Let's hope that the preference share is all that it is cracked up to be and that the football club stay true to it's intended purpose

I think if we leave Brookvale permanently the Council will demolish the stands and to turn it into a 'park' similar to Redfern. If the current position remains, this will be a certainty just through the process of neglect. The Council will not build anything that smells like a stadium. It's way to expensive and electorally unpopular in the immediate area. I can only see us playing there, as I've posted before, three times per season, on a Sunday afternoon, and the rest of the time at the SFS. Will fans come? Probably not to begin with, but over time, hopefully yes.

DSM5 said:
I think if we leave Brookvale permanently the Council will demolish the stands and to turn it into a 'park' similar to Redfern. If the current position remains, this will be a certainty just through the process of neglect. The Council will not build anything that smells like a stadium. It's way to expensive and electorally unpopular in the immediate area. I can only see us playing there, as I've posted before, three times per season, on a Sunday afternoon, and the rest of the time at the SFS. Will fans come? Probably not to begin with, but over time, hopefully yes.

This would probably be the outcome. Could you imagine the crowd for that game sell out every time guarantee it.

DSM5 said:

The opposition fans would pay to go to the SFS, particularly Roosters, St George, Wests, Rabbitohs.

If we leave brookie we lose any hope of getting the ground upgraded. I think we should adopt the 6 games at brookie and 6 at sfs until such a time as brookvale is of a standard to support sponsors, corperates and fans comfort

I agree that if we as supporters want to see the mighty Sea Eagles around for generations to come, the hard decisions will need to be made. A new home needs to be amongst the first of the priorities to garner corporate support and sponsorships which will prevent the need for the owners to dig deep each year.
The owners just won't be prepared to cop massive losses year after year.
Something has to give.

When an owner of our like Quantum make a $4-10 mill profit like they do, I really don't give a **** about the losses made.

N-E-T Profit.

Sponsorship is already included in the expenses ! LoL.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4