No bounce plus no separation equals a TRY

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
Yes, the Watmough try was only marginally backwards, but it was still a try.

Yes, Gallen made a great run but you can't expect a marker to be grabbed and then tackled and get away with it.

And on Taufua, refs have made thousands of inconsistent decisions over the years, Surely a no bounce, no separation rule is simple enough for a video ref to use as a guide?

With the way the rules are currently structured, once the on-field referee makes a call (be it try or no try) the video ref then must find CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE to overturn the original decision.

That's why Jorge's try was allowed, and also the reason why Matai's was disallowed a few weeks back.

It's a far from perfect system.... But apparently all the teams play by them...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/whats-the-buzz-sandor-earls-tell-all-talk-to-karl-stefanovic-plus-australias-best-sports-gossip/story-fni3fbgz-1226724388174
What's the Buzz:
SINNER II: The NRL finals refereeing. Jorge Taufua’s “try” for Manly on Friday night was a bigger farce than the seven-tackle try the week before. :p

Ridiculous comment, but it is funny how Manly is such a thorn to the obtuse:cool:

KOMORI said:
With the way the rules are currently structured, once the on-field referee makes a call (be it try or no try) the video ref then must find CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE to overturn the original decision.

That's why Jorge's try was allowed, and also the reason why Matai's was disallowed a few weeks back.

It's a far from perfect system.... But apparently all the teams play by them...

most teams anyway:-/

Isn't the biggest farce the fact that Rothfield has a job as a 'journalist'?

I watched the highlights on the NRL website this morning and I still think Jorge got the ball down. If it was against us I'll admit I couldn't argue against it. In slow-motion you can see Jorge's hand is still connected to the ball when it hits the ground. Was Rothfield looking at it through the bottom of his beer cup?

As for Choc's try....the ball clearly went backwards off Matai's arm and Choc was behind him. That is a try.

I didn't think it was a try. But hey, who am I to turn down a gift try! Its worth it just to watch Buzz squirm.

Regardless we didn't kick the goal and still would have one by two, and the biggest face was gordon's shoulder charge going un-penalised when he was likely to score as gordon wouldn't have stopped him any other way.

IMO it was no try ,but ALOT worse have been given ,to say it was a worse decision then a complete f-up giving a 7th tackle try shows your bias to your peptide infested trophy-less team you joke of a reporter tossfield .....

Ps no try manly 20-18 peptides

Back to your bottle champ......but be careful it's messing with your math

I thought it was a no try as well but the fact that there was never any separation saved us. The front angle was the the angle that was the least favourable for us. When the ball hit the ground Taufua's hand was completely off the ball but a fraction of his forearm was still on it.

That said I do remember when Harrigan made a video ref decision to award a try against us when Gasnier had clearly dropped the ball before grounding it.

I would accept either judgement on this one.

Under the older concept "must have control of the ball" I probably wouldnt give it but under the newer "must see separation" rule I would probably give it.

In any case, who really cares what Rothfield has to say.

I thought it could have gone either way. I'm glad they awarded it but would have understood it being no try.

But what no-one including the commentators failed to mention was that had it not be awarded, there game should have restarted with a line dropout. Beau Ryan actually played at the ball which was what caused the "separation" to begin with.

Anyone else notice that and how the Rabs and Gus ignored it ?

Where the rule about conclusive evidence falls down is not in the Tofua scenario where the try is actually seen by on field officials, it's when they are unsighted (Matai try) and they rule "no try" when they would really have no idea because they couldn't see.

Pittwater Legend said:
I thought it was a no try as well but the fact that there was never any separation saved us. The front angle was the the angle that was the least favourable for us. When the ball hit the ground Taufua's hand was completely off the ball but a fraction of his forearm was still on it.

Spot on - his wrist/forearm forced the ball and that is why it didn't bounce away.

KOMORI said:

I know they got rid of BOTD but if this isn't a definition of exactly that then I don't know what is.

It's BOTD 2.0. The only difference is it goes both ways. Try or no try.

I thought it was a try but it was a close call I could appreciate it being a "no try". My reasoning was that it appeared to be in, it appeared to be over the try line and there appeared no separation between the arm and ball.The next part is did he have control of the ball? Only to the fact that he had downward force on it... ever so slight. If he had landed on it with his chest what control would he have had? No out, over the try line, no knockon TRY. The true test for me is if it was the other way and against us what would I have said.."TRY".

Jorge's was a try - the refs have called plenty of tries with little or no control whilst only a small amount of contact and downward pressure appeared evident, over the past few years.

And prior to that, benefit of the doubt to the attacking team supports it as well.

Great effort!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7