Next TV deal.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
My understanding is that Nine will have four games to select for Thurs, Friday, Sat evening, and Sunday afternoon, and Fox gets the remaining four, plus be able similcast all the Nine games on Foxtel, however Nine are demanding that the games that are similcast must not have the Nine commercials edited out, so basically whether you watch it on Nine of Foxtel will make no difference.
I imagine it will be up to Foxtel as to whether it does it's own commentary or uses Nine's, my guess is that it will use Nine's.
So basically having a Foxtel subscription will only now give you an extra four games live commercial free, as opposed to free to air TV.
The othe advantage of FOX being able to show all games is that they will all be available in HD, which for many, including myself is very important. We all have HD TV's and are forced to watch SD (Sh*t Definition) - now we might have to put up with that until 2022 which is just insane.

I don't really give a **** how much money they get for the TV rights. The players get paid more, the NRL gets a bloated HQ staff and wastes money on f*ck know what and the club gets a bit more money? However, as a fan who goes to all home games and some away games it means nothing to me. I don't see how we (fans) benefit or why it is a big deal.
The more money they get, the more than can re-invest in the game and especially at junior level to stave off AFL. Can you imagine AFL being the dominant sport in each state? I'd neck myself...

How long till the players start demanding more? Ingliss and smith play x amount of games per year, they can only play for so long yada yada yada.

The more money they get, the more than can re-invest in the game and especially at junior level to stave off AFL. Can you imagine AFL being the dominant sport in each state? I'd neck myself...
I get that but do you really think AFL will ever take over in NSW or QLD? I can't see it. I don't know anyone that likes that game and same with my kids?

Foxtel needs rugby league more that rugby league needs Foxtel. I wouldn't renew my membership because Foxtel is crap, NRL is the only reason I get it and I think the majority of the people in this state and qld are the same. NRL should continue to play hard ball...no one would be happy to lose billions - not even rupert. Apple TV ****s all over Foxtel! NRL should partner with them! NRL rates higher than AFL don't believe the telecrap propaganda machine! Rupert is being a dick! Only other thing I'd be missing is premier league and to be honest I can stream that! Foxtel didn't even show the ashes!

The things I'd miss with no Fox, assuming NRL is gone.

Mmmmm.......I'm thinking, nup, nada, goodbye Foxtel with no NRL.

What Foxtel may lose in NSW/Qld subscribers they will definitely cover with new subscribers from Vic/SA/WA for the AFL.
Surely you jest?!?! AFL have had their own Foxtel channel in the current rights deal showing all 9 games each round and the take up rate in the southern states is still poor. How will this change with their new deal?? There will be tens of thousands cancelling Foxtel in NSW & QLD if Foxtel do not get the NRL rights from 2018 onwards.

The things I'd miss with no Fox, assuming NRL is gone.

Mmmmm.......I'm thinking, nup, nada, goodbye Foxtel with no NRL.
Got rid of fox two years ago and have not missed it.
Have streamed a lot of nrl games via vpn and dodgey sites last year and this year i go to the bowlo to wnatch fox games.
Now i have netflix and a smart tv so more tv than i can watch.

Rupert has been beating his chest, blah blah blah, News limited need league and end of the day he knows it! Bourbon Becky who is his Goebbels lol has been slagging off the NRL. End of the day League will be on fox in some capacity.

Somebody need to clarify something for me.

If Smith comes out and says the NRL deal with 9 is worth about 1 billion why would 7 & Foxtel pay so much for AFL. I mean who else was going to out bid them not 10 I would think.
I agree, Rupert did this on purpose to make the current Rugby League administrators look dumb, just like he did when he spent 600 million in 1995 on super league. The bloke is a dead set anal wart on the world and thank god he is in his 80's and the world only has to put up with him for another few years.

Channel 9 actually had deals with Apple TV a few years ago when the tale of two cities underbelly series was on TV it was able to be downloaded or subscribed to via Itunes and Apple TV and you could watch the episodes immediately after it aired.

I actually think Foxtel's life expectancy is about the same as Ruperts. Neither of them will be around in Ten years at least not in the capacity they are today. This is the last breath of a dying media platform that is Pay TV. Free to air will always exist as it is free and people without internet connections can watch Free to Air, However with all of the digital content providers that are online I think Foxtel's days are numbered and funnily enough a short sighted vision from AFL will see them tied to a sinking ship for 6 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rupert on-sells the AFL rights in a few years when Foxtel boxes are the new Motorola Brick phone. Internet is the new PAY TV and that is also the reason why Rupert has pushed hard to get the Libs to scrap spending money on the NBN because when everyone has access to a true fibre NBN that is the day that Pay TV dies. Rupert knows this and is trying to prolong the inevitable.

... Murdoch senior said "we have always preferred Aussie Rules", despite fighting a war to half own rugby league and maintaining its 67 per cent control of the NRL's premier club, the Brisbane Broncos.

It is likely News Corporation's Australian mastheads, particularly Brisbane's Courier Mail, will join an aggressive push to promote AFL, with chief executive Robert Thomson, repeating his vow at Tuesday's AFL press conference to "see its (AFL's) reach extended particularly in NSW and Queensland."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...at-the-nrl-20150818-gj2ajg.html#ixzz3jMBnfpq8

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
News Ltd admitting that even when they owned/ran the NRL, they preferred AFL. And that they want to extend AFL's power in NRL heartland.

Says it all really. News Ltd is actively seeking to undermine the NRL.

With partners like News Ltd, who needs enemies?

Surely you jest?!?! AFL have had their own Foxtel channel in the current rights deal showing all 9 games each round and the take up rate in the southern states is still poor. How will this change with their new deal?? There will be tens of thousands cancelling Foxtel in NSW & QLD if Foxtel do not get the NRL rights from 2018 onwards.

I think you'd be surprised actually. Believe me, the AFL deal will influence a lot of their fans. There are a number of subscribers because of the AFL already, but there are also a hell of a lot more who get their AFL fix via Ch.7. Already indications here (in Adelaide at least) are that people will subscribe so that they're not going to miss out. And I don't doubt that Victorian and West Aussie viewers will do the same.

Give them a dedicated footy channel while its all still on FTA and some will subscribe. Take away the majority of the FTA and most will subscribe.

Last edited:
The othe advantage of FOX being able to show all games is that they will all be available in HD, which for many, including myself is very important. We all have HD TV's and are forced to watch SD (Sh*t Definition) - now we might have to put up with that until 2022 which is just insane.
Ch9 (and the other commercial stations) are forced, by law, to broadcast their main channel in SD as part of the transition from analogue to digital television over the last decade.

This law is currently being looked at for amending so that the stations can now begin HD, likely within the coming couple of years.

Ch9 (and the other commercial stations) are forced, by law, to broadcast their main channel in SD as part of the transition from analogue to digital television over the last decade.

This law is currently being looked at for amending so that the stations can now begin HD, likely within the coming couple of years.
This isn't correct, I actually spoke with the governing body earlier this year - the stations are free to broadcast in HD, but do not. They claim bandwidth issues but there is nothing stopping them switching premium content to GEM etc. The digital transition is completed.

Channel 9 actually had deals with Apple TV a few years ago when the tale of two cities underbelly series was on TV it was able to be downloaded or subscribed to via Itunes and Apple TV and you could watch the episodes immediately after it aired.

I actually think Foxtel's life expectancy is about the same as Ruperts. Neither of them will be around in Ten years at least not in the capacity they are today. This is the last breath of a dying media platform that is Pay TV. Free to air will always exist as it is free and people without internet connections can watch Free to Air, However with all of the digital content providers that are online I think Foxtel's days are numbered and funnily enough a short sighted vision from AFL will see them tied to a sinking ship for 6 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rupert on-sells the AFL rights in a few years when Foxtel boxes are the new Motorola Brick phone. Internet is the new PAY TV and that is also the reason why Rupert has pushed hard to get the Libs to scrap spending money on the NBN because when everyone has access to a true fibre NBN that is the day that Pay TV dies. Rupert knows this and is trying to prolong the inevitable.

Yeap nailed it.

Fox feels ignored and left out. So make some compromises. Give them back Monday night football. Know the draw would be tough but they could do it. And bring in 2 more teams. One in Brisbane for nine one in Perth for fox. Fox gets 5 games. All happy.

I really can't see another Brisbane team being anything but another Gold Coast. No support, no chance.. Perth is a given. Other team should be from NZ or CQ

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4