1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next TV deal.

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Top End Eagle, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Top End Eagle

Top End Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +943 / 40
    So when announced I thought WTF. Ruperts not going to deal well with that and honestly for the four best games each week that deal was soft. Now uncle rupes has just gone **** it AFL I'll take that.

Well played NRL echoes of the Kerry Packer deals. These blokes and I don't think it even starts with David smith are jokes. Get used to 2017 being like the old days with only 3 games telecast. Well there might be one more on 9 but forget live subscription games of your team. The dickheads have even put Telstra offside.

This is our games death warrant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. sheridanstand78

sheridanstand78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 51
    That bastard Murdoch and his bloody empire nearly destroyed our game with their dirty and divisive take over in 1995. He controls a large portion of the media and we have to lump that, the damage he did back then killed off clubs and turned many people away from the game!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. EagleFromMay1967

EagleFromMay1967 In bed before the room got dark.

Blue Mountains these days
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 44
    Someone big should shoulder charge Rupert Murder.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BH72

BH72 Active Member

Ratings:
    +97 / 5
    would prefer Warren Boland and coverage on the ABC. Don't really give a toss about all the telly business, it' what's ruining it anyway.

• Troll Troll x 1
  5. Pablo

Pablo Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,342 / 15
    Yes.
    Or even worse...... Accidentally bump into him with a newspaper tucked under their arm.

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. Top End Eagle

Ratings:
    +943 / 40
    Good idea. Let's see how many juniors come through wanting to play the game so warren can call their names on suburban Sydney radio.

Super league II is coming after this shoddy and il thought deal.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-18/afl-on-the-verge-of-signing-new-tv-deal

7. Mals

Mals Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Pennant Hills
    Ratings:
    +1,480 / 35
    Fox still need NRL. They are having a laugh if they think they can push only AFL on NSW & QLD & they won't unsubscribe. Still it appears Smith has screwed this latest deal up by dealing only with channel 9 at the start.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. BH72

BH72 Active Member

Ratings:
    +97 / 5
    just saying what I'd prefer.. beats Fittler and Ray hands down but fair enough. Though there may have been more juniors coming through in Wazza's day. there were 2 divisions per most local club in each age group to D grade in Manly Warringah back then.. times change but pay tv hasn't increased that... I'd guess it's less now.

9. Eagles2nv

Eagles2nv New Team, New Beginnings 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,404 / 35
    I think Murdoch is angry that he lost a big chunk of NRL hence the stab at NRL today. He has now paid overs for the AFL coverage.

He needs the NRL otherwise he will lose alot of NSW/QLD subscribers, which means they wont be watching AFL either on fox. So in a way Dave smith has a bargaining chip because there is a co-dependency

Lets not forget that Murdoch already tried once to kill RL and shouldn't be anywhere near the sport.

Personally I think the NRL should get serious about a digital strategy. I would start squeezing fox out of the picture and take control broadcasting rights. Teaming up with someone like Google or Netflix. It would allow the NRL to have greater control over its advertising revenue and exposure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Clever Clever x 1
  10. Eagles2nv

Ratings:
    +1,404 / 35
    Lets not forget, that Foxtel doesn't always do good things for a sport.

Since selling out to fox, the V8supercars recent figures were a 6% decrease in viewership.

The A-league and BBL both saw increased once have some FTA coverage.

*I respect there are other factors at play aswell, but looking at fox as one of the contributors.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  11. Eagles2nv

Ratings:
    +1,404 / 35
    Lets not forget the internet is here this time. It could be a game changer.

Plus the clubs got burnt last time, they wont let it happen again.

12. Top End Eagle

Ratings:
    +943 / 40
    How many pubs are going to google or Netflix a footy game on a Saturday night? How many fans live outside of areas with decent internet connection?

13. Frogz

Frogz Don't mess with the goat, he has photos. Premium Member

Sydney, Australia
    Ratings:
    +1,390 / 36
    Fox and Telstra (both current partners) were not involved in the current negotiation's. Dave Smith has only been talking to Nine and has also sold out the Digital rights to Nine also....He was flapping his gums about the new deal, but just shows u what a fark wit he is, as it is now shown as poor deal and Fox can just pick what they want to pick from, at a price they want. I cant see that the NRL are in the box seat anymore......This entire deal will be lucky to reach $1.5 billion...which would be up by a maximum of 50% at the very very best...The AFL deal has doubled from the last one.....Dave Smith should be sacked.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,526 / 32
    I'd like to see the bloke choke on a Sherrin. Thanks for almost killing the game with superduperleague Rupert. We always knew you were never a fan.

15. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,347 / 111
    And he NRL have reached a new low.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jase Seaeagle

Jase Seaeagle Active Member

Central Queensland
    Ratings:
    +167 / 15
    Gyngel and Smith are wankers. What happens when they can't get Fox to do the other 4 games. Murdoch is bigger than Smith and Gyngel put together. You only got to look at the wankers he has on the Footy Show. Ryan and Mole.

17. manlyfan76

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,347 / 111
    I rareley watch the afl footy show but they do the big issues with respect and intelligence and have great interviews, then there is Fatty.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,404 / 257
    Dave Smith probably picked a ****ty deal so people will be forced to go drive a few hours and pay hundred of dollars for their family to attend live games at ANZ Stadium.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jase Seaeagle

Jase Seaeagle Active Member

Central Queensland
    Ratings:
    +167 / 15
    If Gyngel only knew that Skank he had a kid too Layla Mckinnon is a Druggo Bikie Mole from the Gold Coast

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. manlyfan76

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,347 / 111
    Super 15 Rugby is another one that has slid since going to Fox, my mate coaches union and gets Leauge kids coming over to play (because they want to have a better chance of getting a big $$$ deal) who have never seen a game of rugby.