News: Wombat tips Snake to take crown

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Wombat, what a great player. Saw him beat penrith on his own one day; scored something like 22 of the 25 - nil scoreline, including one try from a kick return that started in the in-goal. As he said, he mostly ran over the top of people if they were foolish enough not to get out of the way.

Wombat was the best fullback i have ever seen.

I know its a big statement, especially when we keep hearing how great Slater is, but Eadie was a devastating defender, a blockbusting running, a sensational goal kicker, as tough as any forward and inspiring player/captain.

He played in an era where there were many great No 1 but they never got a look in at rep time because Wombat was a class above.

Even the great Brett Stewart, in my mind, will never match Eadie simply because goal kicking will set them apart.

Long live the great Wombat.

Being mentioned in the same sentence as Wombat is a great thing for Snake. Its always difficult in comparing players of different eras. I think its possible if Snake has another 5 goods years and goes close to 200 tries but more importantly picks up a couple more premierships. If that happens then it will be a very close run thing when you talk about our greatest ever sides.

I agree with all of the above. He had the knack to break tackles on kick returns, head to the sideline drawing the last defenders and slip it to a winger who went on to score. Must have seen that 50 times. They are two completely different style of players and I hate comparisons when talking about such greats. I never thought I would see someone better than the Wombat.

He was also a hard man to put on the ground in a tackle. I remember watching a game against the Eels at Brookie and he had about 3 or 4 defenders on top of him trying to get him down but he still managed to take about another 10 to 12 short paces further up the field before he went down.

I loved seeing him bulldoze over players getting out of the in-goal. Just so powerful and determined. A simply wonderful player . I think it's just stupid comparing players from different eras.

Memories! The bulldozing runs, the bomb defusing, the knock-kneed goal kicking.
A man's man, who didn't have a weakness as a player.

Ah good old Wombat. This is probably the only Fullback ever who I'd say is generally better then the Snake. No offence to the Snake though and as people all say they are men of two different generations but Eadie is rightfully an immortal of Rugby League.

eelcatcher said:
Ah good old Wombat. This is probably the only Fullback ever who I'd say is generally better then the Snake. No offence to the Snake though and as people all say they are men of two different generations but Eadie is rightfully an immortal of Rugby League.

Spot on eelcatcher.

Wombat - not seen anything of him - must have been before I came here in 1990-ish. I didn't get into league till a couple of years later though.

The best fullback prior to BS I can remember was Mathew Ridge.
I thought he was a good player.

The wombat was an absolute legend and got me interested in league in the first place. Didn't have the brilliance of snake but one tough hombre that used to run over the top of defenders. I remember Eadie along with Gartner and Randall opened a sports centre in dee why called RGE.

Great thread. I have not admired others as much as Wombat and Snake. I cried as a kid when Wombat lost a grand final. I almost cried as an adult when Gallop lost our respect with how he managed Snake's accusation.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4