News: Wolfman confident best to come from rising Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
CliffyIsGod said:
Phantar said:
With Hoppa leaving for two years, wonder if Ben Farrar will return to the Club? He wanted to come back and Des wanted him back.

Not needed. When Hoppa goes, Oldfield and Wolfy on wings.

Yep, defo not needed. No offence to Astro Boy, it's a shame.

Next year we still have Robbo & Wolfy on the wings (unless the St Helens rumour is true). This leaves Oldfield as cover for 1 - 5. He can slot straight in to any of those jerseys with no need for a reshuffle.

If we lose 2 or more from the back 5, Whare is back playing regularly & Ben Shorter is killing it on the wing in a team that cops floggings. He can find the tryline & I was surprised last year that Oldfield got the nod over him.

Fullback is the hardest spot to cover without Hoppa but I'd think next year that Wolfy & Oldy will be up to it.

Everyone here remembers Robbos heroics in the 08 GF but keep it real. How the hell can anyone claim he is better than Wolf or Hoppa. Heres an outside perspective - Hoppa & Wolf have played for NSW since 08 & i guarantee there would be another 3-5 wingers the State selectors would pick before Robbo. In saying that, he would imo not let anyone down in SOO as he is reliable but the above 2 have him covered. :argue:

Robbo has to prove himself after his injury,the other 2 are entrenched in the 2-5

That said we dont know how Hopoate will come back,or if he'll get another run in the NRL season

MK Eagle said:
Everyone here remembers Robbos heroics in the 08 GF but keep it real. How the hell can anyone claim he is better than Wolf or Hoppa. Heres an outside perspective - Hoppa & Wolf have played for NSW since 08 & i guarantee there would be another 3-5 wingers the State selectors would pick before Robbo. In saying that, he would imo not let anyone down in SOO as he is reliable but the above 2 have him covered. :argue:

Guess Merritt isn't a good winger either because he's never played SoO. There are plenty of brilliant players who have never cracked rep teams for one reason or another.

Robbo is one of the best finishing wingers in the game, is safe in the air & has superb positioning. He is the kind of veteran player that you want in a team, especially one that has halves as young as ours.

IMO Hoppa gets a week or two in the u20s (playing fullback) to build his fitness back up then he goes back into the team in Wookie's place.

No offense Wolfpack,you are one of the few around here who i respect the opinion of but still dont care what you think about my opinion as its mine and sometimes wrong (See Cricket) but i will ask you a question

How could you drop the Wolfman on his current sizzling form? i mean since he came back he has done nothing wrong and everything right,he hasnt done a thing worthy of dropping the bloke for,his defensive reads have been excellent so far

I dont think dropping blokes on a hot streak is a very good idea as they can come back eventually and never be the same player,other players obviously it has the opposite effect

That said he could face the axe after one bad game,but his still to produce one of those for us,sure he may of had a few in 2009 but **** happens,that was 2009,this is 2011

Wolfpack said:
MK Eagle said:

Guess Merritt isn't a good winger either because he's never played SoO. There are plenty of brilliant players who have never cracked rep teams for one reason or another.

Robbo is one of the best finishing wingers in the game, is safe in the air & has superb positioning. He is the kind of veteran player that you want in a team, especially one that has halves as young as ours.

IMO Hoppa gets a week or two in the u20s (playing fullback) to build his fitness back up then he goes back into the team in Wookie's place.

You just named 1 of the wingers who would be picked ahead of him - maybe throw in Morris , Blake Ferguson & a guy named Jared Hayne. Anyway - i rate Robbo but imo he is only 3rd or 4th in our pecking order. Would be 1st choice at many clubs but we are spoilt with quality in outside backs.

He has been a great servant for sure Fonz, but Hoppa and a fit Wolfman are better. Hoppa is now an Origin player, Wolfie got the aussie jumper after 2008, Robbo didn't, even after scoring 3 great tries.

The Eagle said:
No offense Wolfpack,you are one of the few around here who i respect the opinion of but still dont care what you think about my opinion as its mine and sometimes wrong (See Cricket) but i will ask you a question

How could you drop the Wolfman on his current sizzling form? i mean since he came back he has done nothing wrong and everything right,he hasnt done a thing worthy of dropping the bloke for,his defensive reads have been excellent so far

I dont think dropping blokes on a hot streak is a very good idea as they can come back eventually and never be the same player,other players obviously it has the opposite effect

That said he could face the axe after one bad game,but his still to produce one of those for us,sure he may of had a few in 2009 but s**t happens,that was 2009,this is 2011

Fair call mate.

I guess it really comes down to what qualities you prefer in our wingers. Personally I rate Robbo's finishing & positioning more than Wookie's kick returning & speed. Hoppa does everything that Wookie does but is better at it, which is why I'd replace Wookie with him when he is fit. Robbo has a great combination with Matai & Foran out there on the left edge & I'd loathe to break that up.

With that being said, who knows what Dessie will do when Hoppa is fit. Given our history this year someone else will probably pick up another injury to let him come back in :p

I think Des has been lucky that he really hasn't had to make the call yet due to injuries and rep duties. No matter who he drops when they're all fit, some are bound to be upset and understandably so given how well they are all playing. We are so fortunate to have 9 guys in the backs who could easily slot in to most teams first grade sides and we don't miss too much when 1 or 2 are injured this year or on rep duty. Des will have to make the call at some stage but at the moment he's probably glad he doesn't have to. But, I'm sure he's smiling with all the pressure they are putting on each other. A very, very healthy situation for the club.

Watching Wolfman over the last couple of games and especially tonight we have really missed him. He is our best winger and he is proving it. Fingers crossed he is past his major injury problems and can stay on the field.

Next year we still have Robbo & Wolfy on the wings (unless the St Helens rumour is true). This leaves Oldfield as cover for 1 - 5. He can slot straight in to any of those jerseys with no need for a reshuffle.

I saw Wolfman's wikipedia page mentions him signing with St Helens for 2012 but there is no source listed. I looked on their website & couldn't find a story about his signing. A mate of mine who is a Parra supporter was telling me on Monday that Parra are also after him. With Hoppa gone at the end of year I hope we are shoring up our wingers for 2012!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6