News: Wolfie sidelined for season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>MANLY winger David Williams will have shoulder surgery next week after he was ruled out for the season on Friday afternoon.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/4777-wolfie-sidelined-for-season.html">Read the full article</a>

Whare might be able to step up. Didn't realise it was pronounced like a 'V'.

But yeah, an injury or two and we're in a world of hurt. Matai's due for a few weeks on the sideline, Lyon out for origin. Be interesting.

heck, brett with 2 long term injuries and williams with another long termer, both I belive have been signed up long term, this isn't good

Poor bloke, only positive is he is still so early in his career that once back fit he has many years left in him

Poor Wolfie must be a big letdown for him - does anyone know whether its the same shoulder that he buggered in the world club challenge match last year at Elland Road, which kept him out for several months in the 09 season?

From memory he had many injuries before coming to Manly. Hope he has more good play left in him.

I'm going to say this, and I know I will get a lot of heat for it, but:-

+ I think it's time for us to cut our losses, and cut Brett Stewart from the club. He's chewing up 10% of the salary cap alone odd, and in a competition as tight as this, starting every year with that ticking time bomb starts us behind the eight ball automatically. His knees are hurting us on the field, and of coarse we know he has sullied the brand (guilty or not) off the field - he put HIMSELF in that situation - no-one else did.

+ Same can be said of Wolfman. We have a roster that is already too injury prone with players like Matai, Perry, Rose and Rodney (and I appreciate that Matai mans up, and plays through. Wolfman doesn't add enough value to warrant paying him anything over $70k odd (and that amount is primarily due to injury status).

We have players in my opinion, already able to fill the void, in Whare, and Hopoate (not right now, but probably ready next year with another full off season, and like it or not Tony Williams isn't a backline player. People should look at a player like Manu Vatuvai (poor spelling I know) to see what Tony should be like - but doing that shows how far away he is. I have no doubts that if Lyon wasn't next to him, and we had an average centre, he'd being looking mediocre (well, MORE than he currently is anyway).

Nursing players year after year just isn't viable (and that means both on and off the field).

My suggestions. Use Stewarts money to buy Josh Dugan. Then go with something like:-

01. Josh Dugan
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. William Hopoate (groomed on the wing, before progressing)
06. Keiran Foran
07. Trent Hodkinson

Rumours have it Brett's knees are shot. Some say he'll be coming back with much less pace. Look, the decision may be taken out of the clubs hands at any rate come September, but personally, I'm over the whole situation both on and off the park.

Farrar is doing an admirable job at any rate.

Ryan, I don't want to go through that effort piece by piece, but all I will say is that the majority of that post is a mile wide of the mark

I expect as much Kiwi, I really do - they are fan favourites. I'm just thinking in a business sense, and for the club, rather than the individual. At full strength, and not plagued with injury, any team would want them on the field.

For mine, it's not personal. It's just the fact that we need circa $4 mill+ competing on the fielkd as much as possible.

Kosef was great as well, before unfortunately the game was taken away from him through reasons out of his control.

I think one thing that has made us such a successful team over the last 5 or so years is the tightness of the group. They play for each other and Des.

Look at our talent on paper over the last couple of years, it is not that far ahead of Parramatta, but the thing that sets us apart is the players are happy to be here. Its a positive environment.
Brett Stewart is best mates with a lot of the players, I'm sure Glenn wouldn't be the only one on his bike if we were to release Brett.

I guess we should have pissed Rose off when he shattered his leg into a million places a few years back?

Pepi link said:
I think one thing that has made us such a successful team over the last 5 or so years is the tightness of the group. They play for each other and Des.

Look at our talent on paper over the last couple of years, it is not that far ahead of Parramatta, but the thing that sets us apart is the players are happy to be here. Its a positive environment.
Brett Stewart is best mates with a lot of the players, I'm sure Glenn wouldn't be the only one on his bike if we were to release Brett.

I guess we should have pissed Rose off when he shattered his leg into a million places a few years back?

I wouldn't know, he's currently been on the sideline for a huge chunk of the season, and is rumoured to be out a good chunk more, then will have to come back and get match fit again.

Not the best example Pepi. Wolfman and Stewart are just the same....actually probably BETTER players at full strength. Rose just supports that theory.

If Glenn quit the club because Manly wouldn't pay $400k+ per annum to Brett to sit on the sidelines, then I'd have to question his character. Nope, I'm of the opinion, Glenn would understand, and really, so would Brett.

I wonder how many other current clubs would take his $400k odd contract on given all with injury and court case????

Ryan link said:
I expect as much Kiwi, I really do - they are fan favourites. I'm just thinking in a business sense, and for the club, rather than the individual. At full strength, and not plagued with injury, any team would want them on the field.

For mine, it's not personal. It's just the fact that we need circa $4 mill+ competing on the fielkd as much as possible.

Kosef was great as well, before unfortunately the game was taken away from him through reasons out of his control.

I think you are completely wrong on Big Williams mate. He is going perfectly fine on the wing, not making many errors, doing his work from dummy half, putting on some big hits and catching the high balls, while taking every opportunity presented to him

If Brett was 28, I may agree with you, but he is still a quality footballer, and even if does lose a bit of pace, his football brain is still worth plenty. I am a Dugan fan, but I wouldn't be shunting a 23-24 year old Stewart aside for him just yet. I also read today that Dugan is almost certain to join the Roosters because he doesn't like the Furners

Des has something special at this club with the loyalty we show to blokes, and I am sure it helps attracting players to our club

What i am trying to say is, our success is built on the fact that we haven't been a transit lounge like many other teams. The guys stick together and play for one another.
I think you are underestimating the influence of team morale...

I sorta  agree Ryan, but loyalty to players is a big thing!! Brett is 25 and I heard that he has the injuries that Bowen has so that is big concerns. David Williams came to Manly after successive injuries and here he is again in the same boat. It is a big worry.

Ryan link said:
I'm going to say this, and I know I will get a lot of heat for it, but:-

+ I think it's time for us to cut our losses, and cut Brett Stewart from the club. He's chewing up 10% of the salary cap alone odd, and in a competition as tight as this, starting every year with that ticking time bomb starts us behind the eight ball automatically. His knees are hurting us on the field, and of coarse we know he has sullied the brand (guilty or not) off the field

ryan sometimes i dont know what goes on in that head of yours.
Thats a dog act post
This is manly mate not norths we stick by our own in good and tough times.
Brett is our champion of our club on and off the field and deserves more than the tripe you just offered up.

ryan you say perry is injury prone can u tell me how many games hes missed since coming to manly in 08

Dugan seems like he would be high maintenance from the articles I've read recently. Not sure I would want him at the club.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8