1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEWS: Will Tom be Manly’s greatest ever?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Jethro, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    Will Tom Trbojevic be Manly’s greatest ever fullback?
    • a day ago
    • by Paul Crawley
    • Source: The Daily Telegraph

WHAT do you get when you cross an old Wombat with a Snake and let him loose on Brookvale Oval?

Answer: Tommy Turbo.

It’s funny how quickly the game moves on these days.

Just when Melbourne fans were wondering how on earth the Storm could ever replace Billy Slater, along comes Cameron Munster.

At Manly it’s a similar story with young Tommy Trbojevic threatening to be anything in no time flat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Freagle

Freagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +549 / 15
    Thanks Jethro. Loving all the articles we are getting. Much appreciated.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Hopefully he will be as good as Wombat or Snake, certainly looks like he has the goods. But the most critical thing is to keep him here long enough to give him a chance of becoming one of our best ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. niccipops

niccipops un echidna spillo mia bevanda Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,521 / 50
    Tom is a brilliant kid capable of anything at this stage. I really don't think anyone should be talking him up so much and adding pressure to a 19 year old though. Let him evolve naturally. The future will take care of itself. He shouldn't have to think he should live up to anything.

• Agree Agree x 10
  5. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Leave the kiddie alone - these lofty expectations are unfair pressure @:mad:

Just have fun Tommy, as you learn your craft :clap:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  6. Andrew..

Andrew.. Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Alstonville
    Ratings:
    +1,909 / 27
    The best thing about these youngsters is that they seem to be quality on and off the park. You just can't imagine either of these two ever getting swollen heads or causing the club trouble.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,625 / 132
    Barring injury he will certainly go well given what we have already seen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Class of 96

Class of 96 Active Member

Pottsville
    Ratings:
    +115 / 4
    Doubt at such a tender age he would give a rat's arse about what went before. Looks very confident in making his own mark.

9. niccipops

niccipops un echidna spillo mia bevanda Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,521 / 50
    Agree with you absolute. Just give the boy time.

10. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,409 / 130
    As good as Tom is I doubt he is as good as Phil Blake was at this age.

Get back to me in 5 years.

11. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,701 / 27
    To me both Turbos greatest strength is their level headedness (is that a word?). If they can keep that humility and attitude that the world doesn't owe them anything (very rare in good young players these days) then I really believe the sky is the limit. (For them both).

Tom can be anything, whilst I think Jake is destined to be NSW and Australian Captain for many years.

12. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Or Eadie - he is the all round Manly great for mine :clap:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Eadie

• Like Like x 1
  13. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,555 / 32
    Tom has the potential to be great but that's it, potential. How many other young blokes have been feted by the media as the greatest or the new whoever? Wombat and Snake have been there done that. I hope Tom gets there too but this sort talk is a bit premature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,469 / 74
    Honestly I may be the weird one out here, but I dont see it.

I dont see him as being as great as Brett at this stage. Brett was a freak from day one and it wasnt just his on the spot, it was his defence, his organization and his ability to finish even a sniff of a chance.

For mine Tom has raw potential and he is better than any comer we have see since brett but he doesnt have the instinct guys like Snake and Wombat have.

What he has is raw talent and size but I think he is suffering from being forced into structure. Give him some freedom and we will see attacking bliss, give him another 12 months of confidence and we will see similar

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,092 / 38
    Is he as good as Aaron groom was at the same age.?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,092 / 38
    You know you are right. Blake gets forgotten a bit - I think partly because we didn't go on and win when he was at his peak in the early 80s, but what a freakish talent he was. Tore teams apart singlehandedly. His star shone bright but burnt out fast - I think defenses back then were just starting to become more structured thanks to wozza ball, and coaches started to play the percentages more, so off the cuff play became a no no. If blake had played a decade earlier, might have gone down as an all time great.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Dee Why Eagle

Dee Why Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +333 / 4
    another thing I like about Jake & Tom...
    not a tat between them!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Eagle1

Eagle1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +208 / 15
    If he can stay injury free after this season,cause at the moment he's battling with his ankle, and the fact that he's got let's say another 12 to 14 years of footy to go with us of course", then I can see him becoming one of our great fullbacks if not the greatest.

19. mozgrame

mozgrame Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,608 / 46
    He's got a long way to go, but he's looking good at the moment!

Steve Menzies for me is Manly's greatest. Brilliant, loyal, humble, dependable and respectable. All round nice guy that could cut you in half in defence, and slice you open in attack.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. midsteyne

midsteyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +574 / 12
    different eras here silvertailers,gonna be hard to compare,how do you rate wombat against snake,but toms got the look.