NEWS: Will Tom be Manly’s greatest ever?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Will Tom Trbojevic be Manly’s greatest ever fullback?
  • a day ago
  • by Paul Crawley
  • Source: The Daily Telegraph

WHAT do you get when you cross an old Wombat with a Snake and let him loose on Brookvale Oval?

Answer: Tommy Turbo.

It’s funny how quickly the game moves on these days.

Just when Melbourne fans were wondering how on earth the Storm could ever replace Billy Slater, along comes Cameron Munster.

At Manly it’s a similar story with young Tommy Trbojevic threatening to be anything in no time flat.

Hopefully he will be as good as Wombat or Snake, certainly looks like he has the goods. But the most critical thing is to keep him here long enough to give him a chance of becoming one of our best ever.

Tom is a brilliant kid capable of anything at this stage. I really don't think anyone should be talking him up so much and adding pressure to a 19 year old though. Let him evolve naturally. The future will take care of itself. He shouldn't have to think he should live up to anything.

The best thing about these youngsters is that they seem to be quality on and off the park. You just can't imagine either of these two ever getting swollen heads or causing the club trouble.

Tom is a brilliant kid capable of anything at this stage. I really don't think anyone should be talking him up so much and adding pressure to a 19 year old though. Let him evolve naturally. The future will take care of itself. He shouldn't have to think he should live up to anything.

Doubt at such a tender age he would give a rat's arse about what went before. Looks very confident in making his own mark.

As good as Tom is I doubt he is as good as Phil Blake was at this age.

Get back to me in 5 years.

To me both Turbos greatest strength is their level headedness (is that a word?). If they can keep that humility and attitude that the world doesn't owe them anything (very rare in good young players these days) then I really believe the sky is the limit. (For them both).

Tom can be anything, whilst I think Jake is destined to be NSW and Australian Captain for many years.

Tom has the potential to be great but that's it, potential. How many other young blokes have been feted by the media as the greatest or the new whoever? Wombat and Snake have been there done that. I hope Tom gets there too but this sort talk is a bit premature.

Honestly I may be the weird one out here, but I dont see it.

I dont see him as being as great as Brett at this stage. Brett was a freak from day one and it wasnt just his on the spot, it was his defence, his organization and his ability to finish even a sniff of a chance.

For mine Tom has raw potential and he is better than any comer we have see since brett but he doesnt have the instinct guys like Snake and Wombat have.

What he has is raw talent and size but I think he is suffering from being forced into structure. Give him some freedom and we will see attacking bliss, give him another 12 months of confidence and we will see similar

If he can stay injury free after this season,cause at the moment he's battling with his ankle, and the fact that he's got let's say another 12 to 14 years of footy to go with us of course", then I can see him becoming one of our great fullbacks if not the greatest.

He's got a long way to go, but he's looking good at the moment!

Steve Menzies for me is Manly's greatest. Brilliant, loyal, humble, dependable and respectable. All round nice guy that could cut you in half in defence, and slice you open in attack.

different eras here silvertailers,gonna be hard to compare,how do you rate wombat against snake,but toms got the look.

So many things can happen before the word great can be assigned.

I remember a young Johnny Gibbs, who could turn a match in an instant. He could have been an all time great...still is one of our finest...but injury shortened his career. Then there was Phil Blake. His first full year, after winning Rookie of the Year in his half year before that, was even more spectacular than what we are seeing from Tom. 27 tries in a season. He seemed unstoppable. But he was creamed in the finals, lost confidence and Fulton lost confidence in him. We never saw the best of that young genius. I recall a young Max Krillich, who was doing remarkable things in reserves and was selected for a rep game while still in reserves. He is probably Manly's best ever hooker, but time wore him down.

So much depends on the resolve of the player and just plain luck. Same will happen with Tom and his brother Jake. Both could become greats, both could become brilliant players who either ended their career early through injury or left the club (heaven forbid). Only a few years ago many were suggesting Foran could be our best ever 5/8. All we can do is enjoy the moment and remember those moments.

Last edited:

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8