News: West would still go wild for elite league, says Geyer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<div class="articleBody" />
<p>FORMER Western Reds enforcer Mark Geyer has urged for Perth to be resurrected as a rugby league centre by insisting it was on the verge of ''great things'' before being disbanded in the aftermath of the Super League war.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5279-west-would-still-go-wild-for-elite-league-says-geyer.html">Read the full article</a>

This was a huge bungle in letting the Reds go. The Force are now entrenched over there and the expatriat Kiwis and South Africans are very involved in the game at all levels.

I am not sure about junior numbers but my guess is that Junior rugby is much bigger and better funded that junior league.

Maybe the horse has bolted.

The future is expansion and not into the outer reaches of the already overserviced Sydney region.

Brisbane, Perth, Central Queensland, Adelaide. Probably in that order. Even better if a team like Cronulla is moved to make room.

Fair call to a degree CW but there is certainly enough corporate support for an NRL team here in Perth and I can guarantee that people will switch from the force to the Reds in good time, once they actually have the choice. Also remember that Perth has boomed over the last decade. That means loads more expats and not all of them are into yawnion. If the 2 codes/franchises are smart enough, they will do their utmost to ensure that their home scheduling doesn't clash and the same folks who go to the union will also go to the league ect.

An NRL team in Perth is imperative, if the game is to be marketed as a national sporting competition. At the moment, the name NRL is a joke that has the AFL laughing while they further set up camp on leagues turf.

Good call WAMF. Perth is booming (I have a brother in Dalkeith) and there is big money about.

Not sure that Adelaide will ever be able to support a team - as it is so AFL and the most ignorant of all Rugby codes. In terms of QLD, one day there may be support in the Sunny Coast or Cairns, though the Broncos will fight tooth and nail to keep their own city opposition free.

I think Perth is a must for an expanded NRL but for their own sake, I hope they stop getting MG pushing their barrow.  He will talk the NRL out of going their if he says too much to try and support them.

Masked Eagle link said:
I think Perth is a must for an expanded NRL but for their own sake, I hope they stop getting MG pushing their barrow.  He will talk the NRL out of going their if he says too much to try and support them.
I'm pretty sure he is not engaged on any official level to be promoting the Perth bid.  Whilst there is no disputing he is dumb,  he's still qualified to talk about his own experiences but yes, I get what you are saying.

WAMF link said:
[quote author=Masked Eagle link=topic=186082.msg308660#msg308660 date=1291542334]
I'm pretty sure he is not engaged on any official level to be promoting the Perth bid.  Whilst there is no disputing he is dumb,  he's still qualified to talk about his own experiences but yes, I get what you are saying.
[/quote]
Apologies.  I didn't mean he was talking for them in an official capacity.  Just that if I was a decision maker and thought Perth was a good idea and than MG told me it was than I would have to second guess myself.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8