News: Stewart to plead not guilty to raping teen

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DVS Matt

Bencher
Brett Stewart will plead not guilty to raping his teenage neighbour, a court heard today. Stewart faces charges of sexual intercourse without consent and aggravated assault with an act of indecency.

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/Sea-Eagles/stewart-to-plead-not-guilty-to-raping-teen.html">Read the full article</a>

thats the first I have head that Rape is part of the charges, no DNA would blow that out of the water.

'His lawyer, Ian Byrne, told Manly Local Court today his client would plead not guilty to both charges.'

What happened to Geoff Bellew or whatever his name was?

what a joke.

well hes pleased not guilty.. just saw it on ch 7 news while on break at work.. couldnt hear what it was saying but it wrote Stewart pleads not guilty

Downie link said:
'His lawyer, Ian Byrne, told Manly Local Court today his client would plead not guilty to both charges.'

Geoff Bellew is the head of the legal team representing him, there would be no point for Bellew to go into this hearing.

KaZa link said:
what a joke.

well hes pleased not guilty.. just saw it on ch 7 news while on break at work.. couldnt hear what it was saying but it wrote Stewart pleads not guilty

"sif he would plead guilty I mean seriously. Just means this now goes to trial

How would the lack of DNA on him and her support a rape charge?

God this is bordering on ridiculous....

Wonder what Gallop will try to do after this ....

mwsneagle link said:

It wouldn't and no where did it say that. The more likely case is lack of DNA is going to help him

Dan link said:
[quote author=Downie link=topic=180032.msg218080#msg218080 date=1239069010]

Geoff Bellew is the head of the legal team representing him, there would be no point for Bellew to go into this hearing.

KaZa link said:
what a joke.

"sif he would plead guilty I mean seriously. Just means this now goes to trial
[/quote]

well it was reported earlier that he may not plead at all.. as he didnt have to.

As far as I understand if any penetrative sexual assualt has taken place,  DNA would have been exchanged. The girl was treated at Royal North Shore almost immediately. They would have done a rape kit. If there was no DNA how can a rape charge stick?

Rape?

As he fell out of the taxi, stumbled up the gutter and onto the foot path - he managed to rape the girl?

Wow, looks like he's not just a fast runner.

Ok I deserve to be told off for that - sorry all.

Rape is such an ugly word. From what we know about the evidence (or lack of) against him it appears that a rape could not have taken place. The word is going to hang over his head forever though, and in the minds of many as soon as that word is out there, everyone presumes guilt.

Dan link said:
[quote author=mwsneagle link=topic=180032.msg218084#msg218084 date=1239069275]

It wouldn't and no where did it say that. The more likely case is lack of DNA is going to help him
[/quote]

Simply placing your hands in your pockets can destroy DNA evidence, and a good lawyer would bring such a thing up, DNA is not always the smoking gun of proving guilt that CSI makes it out to be.

missing_something link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=180032.msg218086#msg218086 date=1239069385]
[quote author=mwsneagle link=topic=180032.msg218084#msg218084 date=1239069275]

[/quote]

Simply placing your hands in your pockets can destroy DNA evidence, and a good lawyer would bring such a thing up, DNA is not always the smoking gun of proving guilt that CSI makes it out to be.
[/quote]A rape kit should contain evidence of DNA. I'm assuming nothing was washed before the alleged vic was tested at the hospital.

Nicci that was my thought as well, surely hey would have tested her clothing for DNA as well.
Results put out bythe media have stated none of Stewart's DNA was found on her at all.....
http://www.nrlnews.com/2009/03/12/newspapers-brett-stewart-dna-negative/

mwsneagle link said:
Nicci that was my thought as well, surely hey would have tested her clothing for DNA as well.
Results put out bythe media have stated none of Stewart's DNA was found on her at all.....
http://www.nrlnews.com/2009/03/12/newspapers-brett-stewart-dna-negative/

Exactly kaza - we need to keep our fingers crossed and not jump to any conclusions because we are not privy to the background info of what is going on or the tactics of both sides of lawyers. And are only relying on the sometimes dodgy media reports.

But will obviously be great to have Brett back on the paddock on Sunday!

KaZa link said:
is that the official report though.. or was that the 'smh understands' report

Yes I agree - there have been many many dodgy reports on this case from the start.
The thing is with this, is that with the negative DNA reported by quite a few media sources calmed the situation down tremendously, and was relegated the story to the inside pages.
If there was a sniff of these results being made up I, personally, feel that there would have been even more sensationalism made of it and the story would have been front page for much longer.

We also don't know who witnessed what, whether there is any conclusive evidence against Brett allegedly taken on a mobile phone by neighbours, what actually happened between Brett and the poor chick, what Brett can remember if anything, what the chick's Dad wants out of this after blabbing to the media as an opening gambit, what his lawyers think they can wrangle out of Brett's team, etc etc etc

Its abloody mess with too much stuff unknown for us to feel comfortable re the medium/long term footie aspects - and must have been a month of hell for the poor girl who'll get blamed by everyone for everything...what better example for footie players to stay off the drink?

9 News on the net are also quoting this which you might find interesting:

He is charged with having sexual intercourse without the consent of the teenager between 7.45pm and 8.05pm on March 6 at North Manly.

He is also charged with assault with an act of indecency - namely that he "forced his tongue into her mouth".

First I've heard of the tonguey indecency charge....might throw that at a few girls I know  ;)

brookiegreg link said:
We also don't know who witnessed what, whether there is any conclusive evidence against Brett allegedly taken on a mobile phone by neighbours, what actually happened between Brett and the poor chick, what Brett can remember if anything, what the chick's Dad wants out of this after blabbing to the media as an opening gambit, what his lawyers think they can wrangle out of Brett's team, etc etc etc

Its abloody mess with too much stuff unknown for us to feel comfortable re the medium/long term footie aspects - and must have been a month of hell for the poor girl who'll get blamed by everyone for everything...what better example for footie players to stay off the drink?
The girl definitely appears to be an innocent victim in all this. I don't think too many  (sensible) people have any bad feelings towards the girl. Any negativity towards her family seems to be directed at the father.  Though speaking of victims, Stewart is also a victim of his own fame.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4