News: Sea Eagles want out of Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I can't believe Manly pay rent to the Council to play at Brookvale; they should be paying us to play at their broken down ground.

It's like renting a crappy unit in Woodridge.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
That's a Queensland joke...Woodridge....in Sydney lets say Mount Druitt

NSW 2011 Origin Champs!

Now that's a Queensland joke!

How do you tell if you're girlfriend is getting fat?

A. She starts fitting into your wife's clothes!

That's just a good joke!

I'm sick of the "talk" our officials keep doing over the years. Dragons, Knights, are getting tens of millions and Dragons only play 3 home games???

Penn and Quantam: Get someone in who can talk the talk and walk the walk!! Our ground is an embarrassment, it looks lop sided with old/new grandstands that poorly connect. It is 2011, some damn politician needs to get involved. Frigging Abbott is opposition leader, one of the most powerful in the land, how cannot he help??? I'm sick of excuses, we are GIVING HOME GAMES AWAY TO MAKE ENDS MEET!!!!!

Get a ground and build a future!!! Brooky or hate to say it, elsewhere,

S
Fro link said:
higher ticket prices for out of towners, might as well shut the gates now as crowds would fall to SFA straight away.

and how would you administer it.

Early applicant for dumbest post of the year...
So, you reckon that the vast majority of people going to use the brooky facilities are from warringah. Thats a load of bollocks - there are as many from Manly & Pittwater. Yet my rates have to go up to fund it. Just the warringah rates.

How would you look at funding improvements. Gotta be user pays some how if state & federal govs aren't going to kick in.

Put up the admission - show your license / school id on the way in to get a discount - The club could discount members in the warringah area. We do it for parking at the beaches - out of towners pay - locals don't.

Jeez - Not rocket science is it.

Forget the Academy, Rat Park and Frenchs Forest rubbish ideas.
Manly Oval has been used by the Marlins Rugby Union and the Manly Cricketers for 100 plus years. If this is to work cricket would have to be removed completely from the oval and moved the Grahams reserve adjacent to manly pool and of course they would require some incentive $$$ to go there and an upgrade of the ground.
If Lowe is serious he needs to:
- work with the Marlins give us double the clout
- ensure the council is 100% behind the move
- ensure the council is going to build the 5000 car park under the oval
- A stadium would have to be built whether they run north to south or east to west what is currently there is completely inappropriate for an NRL venue
- The cost for this would be massive (probably less than an upgrade to brooky oval would be) so state and federal funding is a must if this is to proceed
-Warringah council should be seriously considering there options here because if this goes ahead they will be left with an expensive white elephant sitting in the middle of Brookvale.
I love Brookvale Oval but if Manly played out of Manly Oval it would be massive for business around the Manly CBD especially in the winter months in which a lot of businesses suffer due to the cooler weather.

Fulton not really. That land would be worth a motza, they could just sell it off for development

Dan link said:
Fulton not really. That land would be worth a motza, they could just sell it off for development
If so then the "Friends" of Brookvale would have removed significant community parkland, used just 10 times a year for NRL, and replaced it with more industrial/commercial developments.  With "Friends" like that who needs enemies?

Jonesyv2 link said:
Not really, Both moves were designed to spark action from council. Both were baseless as the Football Club would never let this happen.
  Is Jonesy Lowe's deep throat?

They are not the same.  To those uninformed of the inner machinations of Manly's structure, the move to the SFS is a credible threat.  Manly Oval is so laughable he might as well suggest we move immediately to downtown Christchurch. 

And the fact the football club will love the Sea Eagles to death by hog-tying it to an archaic stadium that will soon be outside of accepted specifications says it all really.

Matabele link said:
And the fact the football club will love the Sea Eagles to death by hog-tying it to an archaic stadium that will soon be outside of accepted specifications says it all really.

That thought has crossed my mind recently.

Do you know exactly what NRL ground requirements/specifications Brookie will not comply with now or in the near future ?

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=186520.msg317287#msg317287 date=1298373425]

That thought has crossed my mind recently.

Do you know exactly what NRL ground requirements/specifications Brookie will not comply with now or in the near future ?
[/quote]  There were some parameters put in place in 1998 or so, after the war.  The main issue was lighting and undercover seating.  As all games were to be televised, often at night, lighting was an issue and Brookie didn't comply - this has been rectified.  The scoreboard also had to be bought up to spec.

However I think we're running a fine line with undercover seating and corporate seating.  And to get any of the options (Manly Oval, Rat Park and Narabeen) to these levels is prohibitively expensive. 

Bottom line is, average revenue of most clubs has doubled in the last decade - our prospects of generating revenue is severely curtailed by the lack of corporate options at Brookvale.  You can see why the club is pissed off with Council frittering millions on new fencing and garden beds. 

Darren link said:
I'm sick of the \"talk\" our officials keep doing over the years. Dragons, Knights, are getting tens of millions and Dragons only play 3 home games???

Penn and Quantam: Get someone in who can talk the talk and walk the walk!! Our ground is an embarrassment, it looks lop sided with old/new grandstands that poorly connect. It is 2011, some damn politician needs to get involved. Frigging Abbott is opposition leader, one of the most powerful in the land, how cannot he help??? I'm sick of excuses, we are GIVING HOME GAMES AWAY TO MAKE ENDS MEET!!!!!

Get a ground and build a future!!! Brooky or hate to say it, elsewhere,

You are a fckukcing idiot Darren.

From a fans perspective, we actually have THE, yes THE BEST ground in the NRL. What we need is corporate facilities. That's all.
Parra need an all seater to contain the d1ckheads, try to minimise the damage they can cause to themselves & others. So does Queensland for their teams.
We should never fall into the mindset that our fans need to be contained in an all seater like the rest of the scum that put themselves upon our society.
All we need is an upgrade to the corporate facilities and a guarentee that the playing surface will be kept in good order, that's it.
We do not, should not, will not ever need a sh1thouse like Parra, SFS, Suncorp (Lang Park for those who actually watch footy) type stadium. It's beneath us. I'm a proud silvertail. A trustworthy citizen. Don"t fckuking herd me into a stadium.
Give thbe corporates what they want but don't take the "footy ground" away from the footy fans.
You crunts that want a stadium are first class arseholes. Most of the knockers of Brookie on here are the silly pricks that live in QLD & have lost contact with the reality of attending 10 or more games a year.

Duff,i agree

Theres 2 many stadiums,AAMI park does not have that home ground look and from the air it looks like a bunch of pingpong balls farted out by a new york city taxi driver

I still like my suggestion from years ago.  Build some corporate boxes for the wankers at the top of the Hill, and then run some shade cover over the top of the Hill, retaining the Hill as it is but providing cover for when it rains.  The Gabba has that type of shade cover and looks okay.  Would be a lot cheaper than many of the other hair-brained suggestions (like Manly Oval) being flung around.

Matabele link said:
I still like my suggestion from years ago.  Build some corporate boxes for the w****rs at the top of the Hill, and then run some shade cover over the top of the Hill, retaining the Hill as it is but providing cover for when it rains.  The Gabba has that type of shade cover and looks okay.  Would be a lot cheaper than many of the other hair-brained suggestions (like Manly Oval) being flung around.

Absolutely. That is the obvious solution. It keeps everyone happy. Why is it so difficult for the powers that be (in all facets) to comprehend?

The only problem as I can see is that the top of the boxes in that solution would be above the height of the western side of the ground. Not symetrical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is that really an issue?

Eagles fans hit the roof
COUNCIL
22 FEB 11 @ 08:00PM BY BRENTON CHERRY
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/eagles-fans-hit-the-roof/

WARRINGAH Council and the Manly Sea Eagles are at loggerheads over the $10 million upgrade of Brookvale Oval.

The club is seething that up to $2 million of the State Government’s $6 million contribution was spent replacing the roof of the Jane Try Stand.

It claimed the funding should have been put towards new facilities and not ground maintenance, which it argues is the responsibility of the council. Such is the club’s frustration it has even held talks with Manly Mayor Jean Hay about the possibility of shifting to Manly Oval, a proposition that has been howled down by fans of the Sea Eagles.

Warringah Council’s director of corporate services, John Warburton, confirmed the club had made an issue of the roof replacement.

“They [Sea Eagles] did question us about work on the roof but structural engineers had told us that, from a safety point of view, it had to be fixed, or it would pose a risk to spectators in coming years,” he said.

“We told them we would simply not skimp on safety.”

Mr Warburton said to date $3.25 million had been spent refurbishing the Jane Try Stand with $3.5 million set aside to extend the stand by two bays, $1.7 million had been spent on a new corporate suite, $570,000 on flip-up seats with another $550,000 programmed for disability access improvements.

“I believe we’ve spent the money exactly as per State Government direction and we’ve worked closely with the Sea Eagles every step,” Mr Warburton said.

Warringah Mayor Michael Regan said he was disappointed by the comments from Sea Eagles chief executive Graham Lowe.

“What he is saying does not help their case,” he said.

WHAT YOU SAID
``No, no, no, no. At Brookvale since 1947. Brookie forever.’’ (Mark Bendall)
``The Sea Eagles should stay where they are. It sounds like Graham Lowe trying to get some action out of the council.’’ (Brett)
``Every other club has managed to get funding, we have to fight for everything. We have to stay at the fortress, Brookie For Ever. Wake up, councillors, and be proud to have a fantastic team like Manly.’’ (Gaynor)
``Manly Oval has no parking, proper seating, turnstiles, proper dressing-rooms. If you are going to spend so much money upgrading that dump, spend it upgrading our dump.’’ (Al)

Has Warringah Council done enough for Brookvale Oval?

DISPLAYING (1) COMMENTS
Diane
writes:

Posted on
22 Feb 11 at 10:41pm
The council should be spending their own money on maintenance to the roof of the Jane Try stand. If you are a landlord (which the council is in this case) and if the property you rent out needs maintenance the landlord has to pay for it not the tennant. Manly pay $350,000 rent per year, the landlord has to pay for maintenance. That money was given to Manly NOT the council so Brookie can be upgraded with better facilities not for general maintenance....Manly get screwed everytime by everyone! NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!

The statement by mayor Regan, who I know has voted against every single anti-Manly motion to Council, that Lowe is not helping with these types of media stunts is very telling. It means what support he had there is under threat.

Manly Oval as a viable alternative is absolutely ridiculous and will never happen. Pittwater Rd and Sydney Rd can be a nightmare on any weekend and an influx of 1000's for a footie game will firstly completely bring the area to a standstill and secondly if you think the Brookie Valley group is hard wait until the princesses and their bubs of Manly get involved.  This is not like a Food Festival or Jazz weekend and a night game would be fought by residents like the main square of Cairo.

ManlyBacker link said:
The statement by mayor Regan, who I know has voted against every single anti-Manly motion to Council, that Lowe is not helping with these types of media stunts is very telling. It means what support he had there is under threat.

Manly Oval as a viable alternative is absolutely ridiculous and will never happen. Pittwater Rd and Sydney Rd can be a nightmare on any weekend and an influx of 1000's for a footie game will firstly completely bring the area to a standstill and secondly if you think the Brookie Valley group is hard wait until the princesses and their bubs of Manly get involved. This is not like a Food Festival or Jazz weekend and a night game would be fought by residents like the main square of Cairo.

Completely agree - trying to get a park near brookie can be a challenge on big game days.. Parking would be a nightmare at Manly Oval any game.

I still can't believe Manly Oval is being thrown about - it's completely absurd to me.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6