News: Sea Eagles to hit Choc's pocket

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Manly to fine Anthony Watmough for misbehaving at season launch:

Manly forward Anthony Watmough is expected to be fined $10,000 and given an official reprimand by club management next week for misbehaving at the club's season launch. The penalty comes as Manly chairman Scott Penn threatened to tear up contracts for repeated off-field misbehaviour.

Watmough's impending fine will come after a tumultuous week for the premiers, with Brett Stewart suspended for four weeks by the NRL and the club fined $100,000. There are no suggestions Watmough will be stood down for Saturday night's match against the Bulldogs at Homebush.

"I'm not going to make a public comment on Anthony," Penn told The Daily Telegraph. "The issue will be kept in-house. I will say, though, we are disappointed that another incident has occurred that has potentially tarnished Manly."

Watmough was involved in a scuffle with club sponsor Paul Durazza during Friday's launch at the Manly Wharf Bar. Durazza's 21-year-old daughter, Sarah, a part-time swimwear model, claims she was verbally insulted by Watmough. Watmough claimed he "did nothing wrong".

Penn said his club would not continue to tolerate off-field drama. "We have already let the players know our feelings and that we think this is an unacceptable situation," Penn said. "We also told them there are serious consequences if this ever occurs in the future. "It is in our code of conduct that we can either suspend or terminate the contract of a player. "There is no question a repeat offender faces consequences for ongoing breaches. Termination is there in black and white."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said he was satisfied that the action was strong enough. "We got an undertaking from Manly that a fine would be imposed," Gallop said. "Clearly any altercation with a sponsor is disappointing and we are pleased to see Manly take action."

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/Sea-Eagles/sea-eagles-to-hit-chocs-pocket.html">Read the full article</a>

Thank God Penn's 'tearing up contracts' threat carries no weight.  He's not the sole owner.  While I agree Choc should have walked away, if he was attacked by this 'sponsor' then what response is appropriate?  A push?  That is apparently what he did.  Penn's just getting up the arse of Gallop, like many others.     

Choco draws trouble towards him where he goes, especially where alcohol is involved.  Who would argue that it is not appropriate for Manly to take low-key, private but very firm and strong inhouse action to help him manage this?  Gallop's grandstanding around this is the irritation of a mosquito.

Penn is just working on the marketing machine....all publicity

Dan link said:
Penn is just working on the marketing machine....all publicity
It is that, and also likely part of a deal struck with Gallop so that we can downgrade the $100,000 fine.

DSM5 link said:
Thank God Penn's 'tearing up contracts' threat carries no weight.  He's not the sole owner.  While I agree Choc should have walked away, if he was attacked by this 'sponsor' then what response is appropriate?  A push?  That is apparently what he did.  Penn's just getting up the arse of Gallop, like many others.     

If reports are true Choc made a very stupid comment to encourage the push. 

Choc says stupid things all the time.  Credence anyone?  Look, I'm very protective of my daughters but, they are quite old enough to ignore, walk away from, go home, have a smoke out the back, talk to others or complain to bouncers if they are harassed by stupid people.  The dad was so full he was ejected and came back in.  If Choc was harassed/attacked by this guy I can't see why he was slapped with a fine, except to appease the NRL Alcohol Police.  Please, spare me.    

DSM5 link said:
Choc says stupid things all the time.  Credence anyone?  Look, I'm very protective of my daughters but, they are quite old enough to ignore, walk away from, go home, have a smoke out the back, talk to others or complain to bouncers if they are harassed by stupid people.  The dad was so full he was ejected and came back in.  If Choc was harassed/attacked by this guy I can't see why he was slapped with a fine, except to appease the NRL Alcohol Police.  Please, spare me.    

Penn has just realised we are living in different times now, and acted accordingly. Apparantly the NRL wants clubs to keep discipline in house, except when Gallop doesn't agree with the clubs position and then its a suspension and a $100 000 fine.

Penn had to do something, or risk Gallop stepping in and adding another act to the News Ltd Media Circus. God knows that the NRL could do just about anything to Manly at the momment and we would be the only ones objecting.

Fluffy link said:
If reports are true choc could do him for assault

Very true but the fact is Choc made a stupid comment that did not need to be made which started the whole situation.  Who knows he might well have made it in jest and the sponsor reacted.  I would never say anything stupid with a gutfull of piss :)

Good for you Garts.  Nice to know that some people, other than the dead PM of India, drink urine.  We actually don't know what Choc said, do you?.  He might have just said 'Look at that body, pity the heads not as good', I'll have to ask him.  $10000?  I don't think so.  Maybe the deal is he can earn a bonus $10000 if he gets his act together. 

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6