1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEWS: Sea Eagle Jake Trbojevic ‘hits like Igor’

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Jethro, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    Sea Eagle Jake Trbojevic ‘hits like legendary club hardman Terry Randall’

Jon Geddes, Manly Daily
    August 1, 2016 3:26pm

THE defence of rising Sea Eagles forward has been likened to that of the club’s legendary hardman Terry “Igor’ Randall.

That comparison was drawn by the club’s former stars Mal Cochrane and David “Mule” Hosking, who were at Brookvale Oval on Sunday as part of a Golden Eagles reunion watching Trbojevic and his teammate belt Newcastle 36-16.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. midsteyne

midsteyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +574 / 12
    turbo is a terrific head on below the waist defender but igor hit like a wrecking ball,biggest most destructive hits ive seen were on Donnelly twice and bob o'rielly,jake will get harder and stronger in years to come.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Harvies elbow

Harvies elbow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,702 / 20
    I have footage of Igor's hit on donnelly but can't find the O'Reilly hit. I have seen it but a long time ago.
    Jake hits beautifully, right under the ribs and times to perfection and I'm glad he now gets his melon out the way.
    But Igor hit with the greatest timing and power of them all ...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,077 / 38
    Yeah, nah.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Woodsie

Woodsie played strong, done good.

Ratings:
    +4,770 / 100
    Jake tackles ... Igor hit! (and often in the rib cage)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BOZO

BOZO Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,845 / 192
    With a bit more aggression he can develop into an IGOR

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Lyonstomenzies

Lyonstomenzies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +607 / 18
    I've only ever seen grainy footage of Igor hitting but it looked great.

If any of those tech minded Silvertails out there could post some footage I think we would all be entertained.

If not we will have to do with Steve Matai's biggest hits.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. midsteyne

midsteyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +574 / 12
    Igor hit bear so hard he just sat on his bum straight legged and shook his head.he had a launch technique in the last second before contact.one of the true hardmen

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Go manly

Go manly Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +428 / 5
    HM

You have a challenge & I am backing you in

Never been beaten as we say

10. Lyonstomenzies

Lyonstomenzies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +607 / 18
  11. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254

I recall an interview with Igor where he said that when he got up from a tackle, he liked watching the guy he hit twitch :D

Always remember that he was like a shark. You never saw him coming, but he would line up the liver from a side shot and whooska :eek:

Igor had a stange loping run, almost like he was dragging his right leg.
    images.jpg

Too bad Chad got his Mum's sporting genes @:cool:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...it-out-for-manly/story-e6frexnr-1226480495936

It was always a good sign when Terry Randall, coming from down low, went up under somebody's ribcage and left them, moments later, on the ground twitching.

The twitch was good. It meant they were still alive. :giggle:

"I hit a bloke at Cootamundra one day in a trial," he says. "I thought I'd killed him."

He can't remember the bloke's name or even the team, and forget about the score.

But he remembers every detail about the man.

He was about six-foot-one in the old scale, had a beard and played front row, weighed about 100kg and he had this beautiful upright running style - beautiful for Randall, because it was this bloke's near-fatal mistake.

"I used to love 'em running upright," he says.

"You could get up under the ribcage, using your body as a launch, as a weapon."

This day, nothing moved when the big bloke hit the deck.

He just went thud like a slab of beef would when dropped from a meat truck, and his teammates came in with their chests puffed out as if they were going to do something masculine, when everybody in the opposition knew they weren't, and Randall stood there like men do when they conquer others.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  12. Enigma

Enigma Active Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 8
    I was only thinking the other day about the Manly juniors who would rank among the best defenders ever in the NRl. Randall, Menzies, Toovey and Jake T. I can sort of see Goulds point about tackling high is the way to go these days to get the dominance etc but I believe a Jake T style tackle is far more effective in a lot of situations. I have seen many tries scored when a rampaging bull charges at the line from 10 or 15 out and the first attempt is a high load of nonsense and the next defenders are in big trouble. A rampaging bull is proven to be stopped by a good lowish tackle. The idea that this does not stop the offload is false. They hit the ground way too fast to offload

13. HappilyManly

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    The O'reilly hit was in the days when we only had the Match if the Round recorded/televised :(

So glad I'm old enough to have seen the 70s Manly sides live :inlove:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Harvies elbow

Ratings:
    +1,702 / 20
    Well mate, Matai's tackles, and they were great tackles, on those hapless souffs jubs last year are up there with anything I have seen so we'll all remember them.
    My humble theory is tackles and hits are different beasts but when combined as Randall and Matai have shown they are a devastating art form.
    And at Manly , through history, we produce those who do it best.
    In Jake........
    May the legend continue !!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Harvies elbow

Ratings:
    +1,702 / 20
    Fibros v silvertails that was on the ABC has Randall's Donnelly hit in living colour.....

• Like Like x 1
  16. TerryRandall

Ratings:
    +2,077 / 38
    That's is a great story, and I like the shark analogy. He had eyes like a shark too - mean, black and lifeless. You just knew he meant business. The kind of face you could legitimately believe had never cracked a smile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TerryRandall

Ratings:
    +2,077 / 38
    And if you look at those old clips, igor was giving as good as he got from those so-called fibro tough guys. You can't tell me they somehow intimidated us - might have taken our minds off the footy, but scared - no way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. HappilyManly

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
  19. Harvies elbow

Ratings:
    +1,702 / 20
    And won NOTHING !!

20. Fibro Eagle

Fibro Eagle Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +721 / 30
    Both players have great technique with different types of aggression for different era's Glad they both played for manly
    The link below has some great story links on it about Randalls toughness
    http://www.eraofthebiff.com/p50.html

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016