1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News: Salary cap lift boon for Eagles

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by ManlyBacker, Jun 23, 2010.

1. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    <p>SEA Eagles management remain confident off-contract New Zealand Test centre Steve Matai will remain at the club beyond 2010 following the salary cap increase.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/4891-salary-cap-lift-boon-for-eagles.html">Read the full article</a>

2. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,404 / 130
    Great news.

Matai is a class player, lets keep him out of the judiciary.

3. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    On an icentive contract I'd hope.  Injury and suspension free would be conditions.

4. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    On an incentive contract I'd hope.  Injury and suspension free would be conditions.

5. ERNIE FOR NO7

ERNIE FOR NO7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 1
    IMO a raised salary cap will not improve his offer or standing with the club. If Manly have a value on him that won't be altered by the cap increase. I wouldn't rate his chances of being resigned more than 50/50. But from what i have heard those odds were way better than they were before the start of the season.

Those odds and the reports could be false trying to keep him believing he is wanted for as long as possible.

6. kingyfan

kingyfan Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Ernie - do you think that Manly would have increased their offer for Hodkinson with the cap increase or did they also have a value put on him no matter what the salary cap allowed them to pay?

TBH he hasn't been that impressive in recent matches and I thought that he was pretty ordinary against souths (he was wrong footed badly for one souths try, he couldn't catch their hooker for a try and he doesn't take the line on) and it was only his two field goals that made any impression on the night. 

7. The Eagle

The Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 0
    Thats a pretty low call,but i guess theres been lower on our 2008 heroes,Anti Ox posts comes to mind,those people dont know what theyre talking about,Hodko is a pimple popping scrub with 2 field goals to his name

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i hope hope matai stays ,sure he does some silly things and has a dodgy shoulder but hes gutsy ,i dont think any other coach could get better results out of him,he suits our style well hope they can come to terms soon !!!!!

9. Ron E. Gibbs

Ron E. Gibbs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,437 / 12
    Would you really want Matai at another club? The guy has a lot of heart and a lot of skill. He hits hard, runs hard and his passion for the game often makes me hard. He always puts in. I'd hate to see him go anywhere.

10. Moops

Moops Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +394 / 26
    Well, quite a few people in the media said that Hodko was pretty ordinary up until the last 5 minutes as well, so maybe it is you that doesn't know what they are talking about?

At this stage 150,000-200,000 grand would be a good price but we just couldn't justify matching the Dogs offer of 280,000.

11. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    Just a tad too much information Ron :)