News: Salary cap forces Manly to release Bailey to Harlequins

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
<div class="story-intro" />
<p>Manly have released utility Chris Bailey to join English Super League side London Harlequins in a bid to relieve some of the strain on the NRL club's salary cap.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5215-salary-cap-forces-manly-to-release-utility-chris-bailey-to-join-london-harlequins-in-english-super-l.html">Read the full article</a>

Questions:

1. Does the statement that this relieves pressure on the cap mean that:
a. we were over the cap and in trouble? (someone explain how/why) or
b. we are simply making room for a new player?

2. Assuming the answer above is b. who are we buying?

3. If our first priority for any new player is not a giant prop we are in serious trouble. Sure we will have a very good backline, esp if DCE is a hit, but no matter how good they are if anyone thinks we can seriously threaten the comp with a front row of King, Kite, George and Cross they are in denial.

a post on the Tele site from someone called the listener

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-release-chris-bailey-to-super-league/comments-e6frexnr-1225941167797

The Listener of Seven Hills Posted at 2:12 PM October 20, 2010
Obviously Manly have a salary cap problem. In dumping old, overpaid and useless players, it might give the team an opportunity not to win the wooden spoon. Why not promote your juniors and deveop a team from there? You will miss out on the semis for a couple of years but when those boys finally hit their straps, the team might be unbeatable. Oh I forgot. For a team of players to be a team of champions, you need a competent coach. The current hot headed non event only wins games with players that have been developed at other clubs; ergo the Salary Cap problem.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
a post on the Tele site from someone called the listener

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-release-chris-bailey-to-super-league/comments-e6frexnr-1225941167797

The Listener of Seven Hills Posted at 2:12 PM October 20, 2010
Obviously Manly have a salary cap problem. In dumping old, overpaid and useless players, it might give the team an opportunity not to win the wooden spoon. Why not promote your juniors and deveop a team from there? You will miss out on the semis for a couple of years but when those boys finally hit their straps, the team might be unbeatable. Oh I forgot. For a team of players to be a team of champions, you need a competent coach. The current hot headed non event only wins games with players that have been developed at other clubs; ergo the Salary Cap problem.
Wonder who this clown would class as competent?

Total agreement with cf2, DCE could be our X factor, but he needs another quality Prop. Let's hope Des has one on his radar.

cf2 is back link said:
Questions:

1. Does the statement that this relieves pressure on the cap mean that:
a. we were over the cap and in trouble? (someone explain how/why) or
b. we are simply making room for a new player?

2. Assuming the answer above is b. who are we buying?

3. If our first priority for any new player is not a giant prop we are in serious trouble. Sure we will have a very good backline, esp if DCE is a hit, but no matter how good they are if anyone thinks we can seriously threaten the comp with a front row of King, Kite, George and Cross they are in denial.

Would you have said that a front row of Weyman, Costigan, Merrin and Saffy could win a comp either though ?

Weyman yes. I always rated the bloke. He was just stuck in a bad team in canberra for a few years.

Has the occasional 'massive' brain explosion although that seems to have subsided with Bennet's presence at the Illeorge Steegons.

cf2 is back link said:

I agree that the front row is our biggest problem (along with playing a rookie halfback). But if King, Kite and Rose stay injury free and play their best footy then we will be ok. Yes I know they are both BIG IFS, but with the salary cap every team has similar issues. Hopefully Cross plays a bit better next year and you never know one of the young blokes may step up. All I'm saying is, although we are not in an ideal position in terms of the front row, it could be much worse.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4