News: Salary cap $7 million for the 2013

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan

THE exodus of stars from the NRL will become history under a new television rights deal that will lift the salary cap to $7 million for the 2013 season and provide minimum $100,000 pay-rises to senior players.

Read the full article

While this is great for league, I hope they put a little thought into this. we need to get most of the good players back from the ESL, union . etc. Raising minimum wage is great but we have to ensure this raise doesnt just raise the wages of the top 10% of players to ridiculous heights and have 8 players on minimum wages to off set this. Real depth is required to push this competiton to the lofty heights it deserves

Last years storm team spending a bit over 6 mill reportedly shows this. They still had a fair few unknowns in there squad and if it was raised to 30 players im sure they would have had 5 more with 5 or 6 players taking up half
The clubs have always shown they are not the best collectively when they are shown new found money

Im not sure what they should do, but there has to be some logic and a plan associated with the extra cash

I wonder if someone at the Dogs knew this was on the cards early, hence their spending. Getting a jump on what will be a spending spree by all clubs under a new cap.

Rusty said:
I wonder if someone at the Dogs knew this was on the cards early, hence their spending. Getting a jump on what will be a spending spree by all clubs under a new cap.

Most definitely.

Also players who sign long terms contracts will all have clauses about renegotiations if there are substantial salary cap increases.

Lowey doesn't have a good......well......he doesn't HAVE a track record of acquiring / signing players.

I hope this new guy adds a more pro-active, "get the job done" type vibe to the role.

Ryan said:
Lowey doesn't have a good......well......he doesn't HAVE a track record of acquiring / signing players.

I hope this new guy adds a more pro-active, "get the job done" type vibe to the role.

Mayer didn't bring in any players either. In fact it was partly due to his incompetence at trying to land a big fish to replace BK that gave Glenn Stewart a crack and that worked out pretty well for us. And believe me we chased every name backrower in the comp and he came up duck eggs.

These days the CEO is only part of a team in the player negotiation stakes, coaches and footy managers are the real decision makers.

Any player with a brain stem will be trying to get out current contracts to get the buffed new contracts,anyone else who signs up for a team this year would be a ****ing moron to take more than a 1 year deal

I think it more important that the NRL grant to each club equals the salary cap

Masked Eagle said:
Ryan said:

Mayer didn't bring in any players either. In fact it was partly due to his incompetence at trying to land a big fish to replace BK that gave Glenn Stewart a crack and that worked out pretty well for us. And believe me we chased every name backrower in the comp and he came up duck eggs.

These days the CEO is only part of a team in the player negotiation stakes, coaches and footy managers are the real decision makers.

The coach can make recomendations which are usually taken on board but the CEO/CFO will say yes or no. Tis this way with all large businesses.
:dodgy:

i think we all better hold on for a minute , this is all dependent on the nrl getting over a billion dollars for the rights ,as we saw last time we were well under the afl money ,plus it is the telegraph reporting it , and news limited still have not signed off on anything .....

The Eagle said:
Any player with a brain stem will be trying to get out current contracts to get the buffed new contracts,anyone else who signs up for a team this year would be a f**king moron to take more than a 1 year deal

Players have their contracts indexed so this doesnt happen.

Eg $430,000 per season or 10% of the total salary cap.

increasing the cap wont make any differnce to available money. players will be paid apportionately more. Only dills dont do this or players who dont use agents.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2