News: Roy Masters calls for the Last Post

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>It's sure to make old rugby league soldiers despair … behind the code's new facade of independence a TV deal gives up too much control, writes Roy Masters.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5283-roy-masters-calls-for-the-last-post.html">Read the full article</a>

Fine summary by Masters.

Sickening what the ARL are selling to get rid of the curse of News Ltd. But which is worse?

Interesting bit of Trivia.
The photo of the English captain Jonty Parkin has a local connection. His grandson is a mate of mine who emigrated to Austrlia a few years ago.
He is a Manly fan and stands on the Hill with us

For once I'd actually agree with Masters, in a lot of ways it's a sad day, the final capitulation by the old ARL, and whilst it may get "rid" of News in essence the TV deal ties them to News for ever!!

Masters is an old has been that is nothing more than a trouble maker, same as when he was with Wests. He has not said a positive thing about League in years and he also now supports the scum, which means I dislike him even more.

And it's precisely because of his age and orneriness that Masters is one of the very few willing to put into writing anything that may reflect at all negatively on News Ltd. 

That's the difficulty when one company owns 70% of relevant newspaper sales plus have a dominant coverage of TV sports reporting.  Journalists, or for that matter media commentators generally, are too timid to openly speak the truth about this conglomerate because of their career paths. Ditto NRL officials.

I wonder if those who sold out Rugby League for short term personal greed sleep well at night while they portray themselves as having the game's best interests at heart.

Rex, those days had nothing to do with 'selling out' rugby league.  It was all about Packer and Murdoch.  And Masters is an old has-been.  Lives in Melbourne, supports the News ltd Storm (go figure), and continues to hate Manly for his old grumpy personal reasons (probably because we never wanted him as a coach).

DSM5 link said:
Rex, those days had nothing to do with 'selling out' rugby league.  It was all about Packer and Murdoch.  And Masters is an old has-been.  Lives in Melbourne, supports the News ltd Storm (go figure), and continues to hate Manly for his old grumpy personal reasons (probably because we never wanted him as a coach).
What's your basis for that claim DSM?  Masters is irrelevant to this topic.  Even the Telegraph admits there is a "substantial" financial benefit to clubs struggling for funds once News Ltd pulls out (read millions of dollars p.a.). And News Ltd require a huge financial payment to their subsidiary if they're to pull out plus an extra 5 years of effective exclusivity (1st & last rights) in TV rights negotiations.  You agree that we're already negotiating for TV rights with one hand (if not two) tied behind our backs?

You agree the game was flush with funds pre Super League? And that Pay TV was only going to increase the pot without the News Ltd takeover? And that now the game is broke.  Living year-to-year, crippled with no surplus?

Rex, I don't want to argue with you.  Go find someone else.  I'm completely over that period.  All I want is a billion plus TV rights price, a couple of mil more each year for the clubs, more money to promote the game and expansion outside our state.  I wasn't to impressed with Chalk's comment today, re the Commission being good for the State (whatever that meant)  I'm concerned that the Commission will be filled with old dead-heads once more who will get screwed by the slimes from the media companies. 

DSM5 link said:
Rex, I don't want to argue with you.  Go find someone else.  I'm completely over that period.  All I want is a billion plus TV rights price, a couple of mil more each year for the clubs, more money to promote the game and expansion outside our state.  I wasn't to impressed with Chalk's comment today, re the Commission being good for the State (whatever that meant)  I'm concerned that the Commission will be filled with old dead-heads once more who will get screwed by the slimes from the media companies. 
I'm happy if you want to argue, or not argue.  Up to you DSM.

Where I was coming from was curiosity with your statement that those days had nothing to do with selling out Rugby League.  Where did that come from?  Happy to admit I may be biased against News Ltd (well that's a known fact) and because of that may be blind to benefits they bring.

I'm seeing plenty of negatives coming from the News Ltd takeover, hence the motivation for the ARL & QRL & NSWRL to do whatever News Ltd demand to get them out of the game.  I'm just struggling to see even a single positive from their takeover and bankrupting of the game - and bankrupting of Manly at the same time.

... Apart of course from their achievement of fulfilling that SuperLeague promise of using Murdoch's contacts and professionalism to make Rugby League not just an Australia-wide game - but a true world game by getting those millions of Asians eagerly watching the game each and every week.

Well f**k me.The smell of s**t in suits is going to linger around for another decade and a half.Surely the game will be totally f**ked way before then.P.S. if youd like a sport to be totally destroyed from the inside out.do yourseles a favour and call News Ltd and the cane toads.The re-runs pre 1995 are looking better every day.Now where did i put that VHS player?

"The re-runs pre 1995 are looking better every day.Now where did i put that VHS player?"

I still have an old one (AND it still works)...wanna make me an offer?

The only problem with 1995 is we got beaten by those Bulldog wankers!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4