News: Ring motivates Lyon

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>Manly skipper Jamie Lyon says players will always value a premiership ring over financial gain despite the Rugby League Players' Association claiming the stars of the game are disillusioned about the lack of money available to them.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5000-ring-motivates-lyon.html">Read the full article</a>

I bet this has made Jamie a little unpopular among the players who would be pushing for a bigger salary cap.

Anyone else notice what GF footage they where using on the news when this was on...........ah 40-nil

Premiership rings motivate Lyon because he'd be on close to half a million dollars a season.

Try get this same opinion from a bloke on the minimum NRL salary.

Flip, despite what you say it isn't all about money.

Many players would go through an entire playing career and never even play in a Grand Final, let alone win a Premiership ring.

I would imagine the desire to get one would influence many players decisions about where they played.

Player action against the salary cap is proof you are wrong.

No doubt there wouldn't be a player out there that wants to win a premiership, but its far from first thing discussed in contract negotiations.

I wasn't actually saying that isn't important, I was simply stating that money isn't everything.

For example,

In a sliding scale of say $500K, $525K and $550K, would Inglis choose Brisbane, Souths or Cronulla.

With Brisbane he'd have a 95% chance of playing in the finals, Souths a 20% chance and Cronulla 0% chance.

But he gets $50K a year more to go to the Sharks

Which team do you think he'd chose???

And let's take a junior player on the base of $55K

He's a Tongan so has no "loyalty" to any team, the money is the same so who would he choose? (and the answer is the one who's going to afford him the best chance of advancement and a shot maybe at a Grand Final.....and is why so many islanders joined the Storm).

Oh sure money is important, but all I am saying is that it's not everything!

I understand where you are coming from. Jamie Lyon says the premiership ring is 'more' important.

I just beg the differ. I think most players are money driven now days. I also think Lyon would be if he didn't earn so much.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Flip, despite what you say it isn't all about money.

Many players would go through an entire playing career and never even play in a Grand Final, let alone win a Premiership ring.

I would imagine the desire to get one would influence many players decisions about where they played.
mark that was my point with trent when he was still deciding , he could have stayed with us for 3yrs i reckon in that time we would have won a premiership then he could have gone to chase the money, me personally i would stay with a succesful team & be on ok money than go to a team who hasnt tasted success in a while , but are offering more.. he`s a dumb azz by leaving us i reckon he has shortend his nrl career by about 3yrs ..

also  regarding jamies comment.. if he wants another ring why didnt he & others on high money take a pay cut so we could have kept  TH  perry & maybe matai  too.. its a bit of double standards here he dont care, like some one said he on good money, but if he wants another ring  why not take a pay cut so we dont lose any from the squad then,.,

Premiership Winners tend to become State of Origin PLayers who get offered more money. QED. Ring = Money.

Both fair comments Jjai and Flip, maybe I'm delusional and living in the past?

Maybe all it is today is money and nothing else!

Sad really

I think its sad from a supports perspective. All you want is to see a team stick together and take out a comp. You want to support a team that feels like a bunch of mates. It helps us somehow relate to the club or team. We're all a bunch of mates.

Most of these footballers are plucked from high school around what, grade 9 or 10 and football then becomes their life.

I know we hear several players educate themselves and some clubs put players through education but just how much and what quality is it?

Just say 1/20 of these kids makes the big time, with no education and nothing else in their life appart from football, football, football its 'make money as fast as you can you've got 10 years'.

Now I'm not saying there's no possibility for these guys after football but i dare say many of them are in that situation of football is over, what now? Its like they are 16 again, starting over. Many probably needing to go back and do their senior school again.

What was going for blokes back in the day were that most of them had jobs, football was what you did outside the job. You played with mates to win a premiership. Now days this is their job and many have nothing else.

To play for a ring over your own wellbeing in such a short lived career, in a such a relatively low paying sport would be foolish and I'm sure every player manager out there is advising these young kids its about the bucks, you've got 15 years at best to do what you do best, take the $$$ before its too late. If not for the managers gain as well :(

I'm betting if you asked a player who's on the minimum of $50k, as upposed to say Inglis, who's on a heck of a lot more, with royalties thrown on top, you'd get very different answers.

I agree with Flip.

Easy to say money is not a motivator when you are on $400k pa.  I am sure Lyon is not in the class of Hayne and some of the others that are always whinging about the cap. 

Also any cap increase needs to go to the lowest paid players first and foremost. 

Rugby League is like most other sports, professional. Just like you and me when we weigh up higher offers from other employers, players are the same.

If they want more money good luck to them. I don't begrudge any player wanting to earn more money from their job. We are exactly the same.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6