News: Rebel yell for homesick Matt Orford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>THE Melbourne Rebels Super rugby union franchise has expressed a formal interest in former Dally M Medal winner Matt Orford.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5229-rebel-yell-for-homesick-matt-orford.html">Read the full article</a>

Union halfbacks have got to be able to pass both sides accurately and quickly. Fly halves have got to have vision and a good kicking game. Orford doesn't tick any of these boxes. This is surely a beat up from his manager.

Chip & Chase link said:
Union halfbacks have got to be able to pass both sides accurately and quickly. Fly halves have got to have vision and a good kicking game. Orford doesn't tick any of these boxes. This is surely a beat up from his manager.

Not to mention he would be a sure drawcard in melbourne.

Noone down there would know him, and those who did would have been on the wrong end of 40-NIL.

"Orford is homesick and might baulk at another stint in a climate-challenged city."

Climate-challenged - Hahahahahahahaha

Rusty link said:
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=185873.msg304461#msg304461 date=1288566612]

Not to mention he would be a sure drawcard in melbourne.

Noone down there would know him, and those who did would have been on the wrong end of 40-NIL.
[/quote]

He had 5 seasons in Melbourne

Chip & Chase link said:

The should be able to but most of them can't.  Thats why there aren't very many good ones and why they might be interested in Orford.

The Coach Rod Macqueen has also had a fair bit of involvement over the years with the Sea Eagles.  He & Des are good mates and it wouldn't surprise me if there are things he has remembered about Ox and thinks they would transfer well to union.  Easily the best union coach this country has seen and I'd back his judgment more often than not.

Lets also not forget they are setting up a new team and if he thinks Ox might help him establish the right culture then it might be worth it long term if on field results might have been better with a different option.

yeh but theres no way i could see him dropping back for a clearance kick and flogging it back down field 50-60m, hed honestly be a dud, my bet is hes off to Crapamatta !

Copa Eagle link said:
yeh but theres no way i could see him dropping back for a clearance kick and flogging it back down field 50-60m, hed honestly be a dud, my bet is hes off to Crapamatta !

Union halfbacks rarely put in the big downfield punts.  Plus a union ball is a hellava lot easier to kick longer distances than a league ball.

I think his running game could be similar to that of Will Genia who is probably the no 1 halfback in union at the moment.  A dynamic little runner who waits for a bit of space at the ruck and takes off.  Ox could do that.

Still though I agree Eels first, Raiders second and union third ... us after that! ;)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6