news overnight

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
JOHN HOPOATE'S young bloke, William, is making an impression on the field in the Toyota Cup for Manly, and on the training paddock. Last week the club said it would put $1000 into the players' fund if anyone could catch five consecutive Tony Williams  bombs while still holding the footballs caught. Several players tried it, but young Hoppa was the only one who managed the feat. Coach Des Hasler decided the final Williams bomb was not high enough and offered William a double or nothing. After each ball went up, Hoppa caught them and held them until he had caught all five. To say he is popular among his teammates is an understatement.

* THE Bulldogs are planning for life after Brett Kimmorley, not by just signing tryscoring wizard Ben Barba. The Dogs are talking to Manly halfback Trent Hodkinson and are one of many clubs who have approached Storm halfback Cooper Cronk. And despite all the talks, there is still a chance Kimmorley will extend for one more season next year.

ISSAC LUKE knows how important it is for South Sydney to shut down Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran today, but in the back of his mind he's planning how he might combine with his countryman for New Zealand in the Test against Australia on Friday.

Luke, a near certainty for Kiwi selection at hooker, is in career-best form and has been the Rabbitohs' most dominant player. Foran's form for Manly has eased the Sea Eagles' worries about replacing Matt Orford.

With Benji Marshall in the halves and Lance Hohaia likely to be picked at fullback, Luke and Foran will help form the most stable and in-form spine New Zealand has fielded in some time.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Redemption against Australia with Foran by his side is certainly on Luke's mind, but today at ANZ Stadium it's all about getting the job done for Souths.

''I'll have a chat to [Foran] after the game, but we've just got to worry about our preparation and what we need to do for the game. All the Kiwi stuff comes after that,'' Luke said.

Desperate to represent his country again, this season Luke has been playing like a man possessed for the Rabbitohs.

With halves John Sutton and Chris Sandow showing patchy form, Luke has provided great leadership to keep the Bunnies in good shape.

''With me and Chris and Sutto being very young, it's something we've been trying to work on as a combination,'' said Luke, who is this year playing the full 80 minutes.

''You could say I'm the fittest I've ever been. I've been able to last, but in parts of it I sometimes lapse, so hopefully it keeps coming together.''

The Bunnies have hinted they will target Manly fullback Ben Farrar, but Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler isn't worried.

''Same as every fullback in every team gets targeted,'' he said.

ROOKIE Manly halfback Trent Hodkinson is favourite to win the City Origin jumper and his potential has been underlined by the offer of a lucrative four-year deal to stay with the Sea Eagles.

The long-term offer follows a similar deal which will keep five-eighth Kieran Foran on the northern beaches until 2014.

Aware that a first rep jersey for the game against Country this Friday night in Port Macquarie will only add to his appeal, Manly officials are eager to lock up the former Campbelltown junior.

\"He's having talks with [coach Des Hasler] and he's just considering all his options,\" Manly chief executive Graham Lowe said. \"I think his form is saying everything. When you talk of the retention of players, you think of those players in everyone's thoughts and he's certainly that.

\"I think he has the ability to take himself to another level as well. I think he's got tremendous potential.\"

Hodkinson is poised to earn the City No 7 jumper after six NRL matches. The 21-year-old was understudy to Matt Orford at Brookvale last year.

\"I think he's done a fantastic job for Manly,\" City coach John Cartwright said.

\"He's on a short-list, that's for sure. It doesn't matter who you are, everyone likes recognition for what they do.

\"It's a representative jumper and a time-honoured one, too.\"

Cartwright will fly to Sydney Sunday morning to finalise his squad, which is likely to see a mix of experience and youth.

Selectors considered moving Braith Anasta to halfback, but he is more likely to partner Hodkinson at five-eighth.

In a battle for the NSW No 9 jumper, Wests Tigers star Robbie Farah will play for City against Country's Michael Ennis.

It's expected that Wests Tigers pair Chris Lawrence and Keith Galloway will also gain a City jumper, with NSW selectors considering them for spots in the Origin squad.

Penrith's impressive form this season is also likely to result in little-known prop Tim Grant rising to prominence with a City jumper.

I hope that we don't lose Hodko at the end of the season. I'd hate to see him come back with another team next year and bite us on the arse. He has great potential in my opinion and he will only improve with more 1st grade game experience. In a way, I hope that he doesn't get the city halfback job as it might make it harder for us to retain him but good luck to him if he is picked. It will be another feather in his cap to go with his QLD Residents halfback position that he won last year whilst playing for the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles.

All positive stuff in there, having Foran and Hodkinson signed up for another 4 years would be great, along with the other rumours for Glenn Stewart and Steve Matai both being set to sign for 3 we have a nice squad building for the future

Hoddo should be a priority now,i really wanna re-sign matai,but something tells me hoddo should be priority.

A contract can be made verbally. Maybe what you meant was, neither contract has been announced yet?

Both reported, none signed.
I think you will find that may be a PR breakdown

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
JOHN HOPOATE'S young bloke, William, is making an impression on the field in the Toyota Cup for Manly, and on the training paddock. Last week the club said it would put $1000 into the players' fund if anyone could catch five consecutive Tony Williams  bombs while still holding the footballs caught. Several players tried it, but young Hoppa was the only one who managed the feat. Coach Des Hasler decided the final Williams bomb was not high enough and offered William a double or nothing. After each ball went up, Hoppa caught them and held them until he had caught all five. To say he is popular among his teammates is an understatement.

I wonder how Farrar went with Tony's bombs?  After seeing him trying to catch the ball in yesterday's game, he still needs a lot of practice or maybe some hypnosis to have a positive and clear mind.  I think there was only 3 bombs kicked to him, the first 2 there was no chasers around and he still didn't catch them comfortably.  And then the last one was a bit of a shocker even though it was a good kick and the chaser was right on top of him as he tried catching it.

And if Tony's bombs are that big then we should have him kick these during a game.  He needs to get more involved.

Rodo link said:
[quote author=BErKeLEy_eAgLe link=topic=183207.msg261283#msg261283 date=1272738075]

I wonder how Farrar went with Tony's bombs?  After seeing him trying to catch the ball in yesterday's game, he still needs a lot of practice or maybe some hypnosis to have a positive and clear mind.  I think there was only 3 bombs kicked to him, the first 2 there was no chasers around and he still didn't catch them comfortably.  And then the last one was a bit of a shocker even though it was a good kick and the chaser was right on top of him as he tried catching it.

And if Tony's bombs are that big then we should have him kick these during a game.  He needs to get more involved.
[/quote]

At least he tried to catch them this week, that's an improvement.
Baby steps an all that.

Anyone see Issac Luke on The Footy Show last night? Dead set,he would have to be dumbest bloke in the game.I was seriously pissing my pants laughing at him! A career in the electronic media awaits...not!!

Haha old Isaac isn't the sharpest, but is certainly 1 of the toughest going round

Used to practise his tackling technique on wooden posts and cracked them !!

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Haha old Isaac isn't the sharpest, but is certainly 1 of the toughest going round

Used to practise his tackling technique on wooden posts and cracked them !!

Could well have been crack involved last night. Silly as a shopping trolley wheel.

It was hilarious... they just didn't know what to do the two of them. How red can foran get? we found out last night.

Kieran looked great besides Luke. Came across as thoughtful and well spoken and only lost it towards the end due to Luke's stuffing around.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8