News: Orford deal to cost Manly new star

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
JWH has played 20 mins of first grade. He looks very good and may be a loss. However, I suppose clubs have to weigh up player worth. If the chooks have offered a Motza, to try and match might not be wise.

I will go with our retention committee at this stage - they haven't made too many mistakes over the past few years. I can't think of too many of our losses that have come back to bite us, if any. They may know things that we don't.

Rex link said:
Seems there is zero knowledge here of $$$ offered in either instance.
a more apt thing to say with this site would have been

"It seems like there is zero knowledge here"

:)
ha ha

JWH looks good in the under 20's but if the roosters offered a pile of $ I am glad we did not match it.  They are desperate but I am not convinced he is as good as everyone is making out on here.  Definately not worth much more than $100k at the moment, still unproven.

The Roosters are the graveyard of any rugby league career. The list of names who have failed there, and this is for top flight players, is a very long one. He may collect the dollars but his long-term prospects are probably dead.

Ryno link said:
If orford is on 500k a season he should be charged with obtain benefit by deception.
Bit harsh there, and what if he is actually on more than that? Should he be charged with extortion? racketeering? kidnapping?
Although on the other hand, if he signs for say 350 or 400 he might get off with just a parking ticket.

I think it's stupid because decent front rowers are very hard to come by. Look at NSW!

I know he has alot to prove but if you come across one that shows real potential I'd be trying to obtain BUT I'd only do so for the right price. If the roosters offer was too large then so be it. Off you go.

I would have used the money free'd up by bani to put into JWH's offer. If that still isn't enough well see ya later. Orford doesn't deserve more coin. He barely deserves what he is on now. He is a 250k a year halfback MAX!

There seems to be misunderstanding about how the money from Bani is being used.  Here's what the article actually said:

---------------------------------------------------

"It is understood the Sea Eagles will use some of the money freed by the departure of winger Michael Bani to top up Orford's salary this season.

That would lighten their salary cap load for the next two seasons, when some of the club's other big names come off contract, including State of Origin and Test stars Glenn Stewart, Jamie Lyon and Anthony Watmough. "

-----------------------------------------

So Ox is not being paid more in total, just paid earlier to balance our year by year salary cap books.  This fiddling seems to partly offset Rodney's contract being loaded at the back end.

What I don't understand is how do we have money left over from the Bani/Farrar deal ? If we trade Bani for a player on a lower contract value then isn't the general arrangement that the original club (Manly) top up the difference to the new club (Cowboys) to cover the difference in salaries between the two players. The only exceptions would be

* Cowboys agree to take on the full load of Bani's higher salary compared to Farrar.....unlikely in my book. Would squeeze their cap.
* Farrar / Bani on pretty much same deal. Unlikely as I can't see Cowboys paying Farrar the coin that Bani is reportedly on. Anyway if that is the case then there would be no money left over for Orford
* Bani agrees to release on grounds that his contract with Cowboys is renegotiated, and one would assume then that he is accepting a pay cut. Seems most likely scenario.

Bottom line in all of this is that it looks like we are stuck with Orford for the next two years, if they are looking at fiddling salary cap this year to accommodate him then it seems set in stone that he will re-sign. I hope he is worth it.

Orford played well on Saturday night, ergo, he's worth squillions?  Just doesn't make sense.  Anyway, keeping him around will give me lots of postings. 

Begrudging support for Ox's game, DSM, although your assessment has now moved from Ox playing "OK" to playing "well".  On Saturday he put in kicks for T-Rex and Robbo to simply fall on the ball unopposed for tries, put up another kick to a outnumbered non-contest (man-mountain and supports v one midget) which led to Matai's try even after T-Rex dropped the sitter, and gave Watmough a path to score effectively untouched, as well as a generally strong attacking, defensive and kicking game and 5/7 goals.

Meanwhile you rated Shaun Kenny Dowall's game as "brilliant".  On the plus side K-D caught two simple passes to walk in two tries totally unopposed, and did very well to set up a try near the death. On the negative side the try he set up only happened because of Manly's defence already being in disarray and a Wolfman error in not trusting Robbo to take his man, your grandmother could have scored his two tries, he missed the simple tackle on Wolfman for the 90 metre try that commentators and Roosters players believe was the turning point that decided the match, and a little earlier gave away an ultra stupid penalty when Wolfman was trapped five metres out from Manly's line - that relieved all pressure on Manly.

Wonder what Ox would need to do for you to think Ox had a "brilliant" Kenny-Dowall type game.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2