News: NRL playing 'judge and jury' in Stewart case: Elias

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p class="first">Former New South Wales and Australian rugby league great Benny Elias has questioned the National Rugby League's consistency in dealing with off-field incidents.</p><p>Manly Sea Eagles full-back Brett Stewart was charged yesterday over the alleged sexual assault of a 17-year-old girl after the club's alcohol-fuelled launch party at the weekend.</p><p>The NRL has penalised Stewart and the club for breaching the game's code of conduct - banning Stewart from playing four matches and fining the Sea Eagles $100,000.</p><p>NRL chief executive David Gallop has made it clear that Stewart's ban is to do with his alcohol consumption at the launch party, not the charges against him.</p><p>Speaking to triple j's Hack program, Elias says it was a "big call" for the NRL to stand Stewart down.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/Sea-Eagles/nrl-playing-judge-and-jury-in-stewart-case-elias.html">Read the full article</a>

What's going on.  Yesterday I agreed with Tallis for the first time ever and now I am supporting Backdoor Benny.

Elias is spot on in that the NRL cannot support and not suspend one player facing the same chage and then suspend Brett.  It is double standards and typical inconsistency from the NRL.

They are saying that he is guilty. 

If I was Brett I would have my lawyers primed to go after Gallop and the NRL as soon as he is found not guilty.

I cannot beloive that the NRL hasn't by now written a clause into every players contract stating that 10% of their contract money each year is held by the club as a bond to cover potential misbehaviour. 

If they behave they get their money but if they don't then it is kept by the club or donated to charity. 

The current NRL board cannot show leadership so its time to get someone in who can.

I never thought I would say it...actually I don't know if I can.....but lets just say Benny has said something good and right. well done champ

Good on you Will.  Expected that from CW, not your good self.  Anyway, I've hated Elias and all Tigers players for so long now it's pretty ingrained but miracles do happen.  I Happen to agree with him and if Max is behind some rallying of players then good for him.  No-one else seems to be rallying the former troops, they all seem to be lining up behind the paymaster..   

The less Benny Elias has to do with our club the better. I'd prefer he keep his opinions to himself, Brett will get through this without his help.

Chip and Chase, I too hate Elias and would prefer him to be a million miles away from manly.  But the reality is, it's in the court of public opinion that Elias's opinions count.  We all know he's a complete scumbag, but the public out there in non-league land don't.  Funny thing is, Fatty Vautin's comments were not helpful at all.   

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4