1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News: NRL double standards on Todd Carney, Brett Stewart

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Rex, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,338 / 60
    THE next time David Gallop walks into a Manly dressing room, the players will turn their backs on him.

Read the full article

[hr]Post  automatically merged: [time]1299217787[/time][hr]
    Points to Rothfield for having the guts to publish this article.  

The point I have a query about is his claim that the Manly players will turn their backs on Gallop.  Is that true, or speculation and sensationalism?

I wonder whether they would seek to establish a conversation, and perhaps even express their concern about inconsistencies in treatment of Stewart and Carney - in respectful tones.

Gallop in his fury did huge harm to Brett's reputation and to Manly's reputation.  Possibly even more than the papers did.  Is he willing to take action to set things right for Brett in particular and also for Manly?

2. eaglerob

eaglerob Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    WHAT AN ABSOLUTE JOKE!!!!!! I have had a bloody GUT FULL of the rubbish that is always dished out Manlys way..... Whether it be the players, the coaching staff, the news articles, the fines, the LACK of games on free to air tv or the milli second we got during the ad this year, WE ALWAYS GET SHAFTED..... I tell you what, I will keep following rugby league but this will live in my memory for a long LONG time...... PACK OF A#%EHOLES!!!!! Hold your head high Stewart, the rugby league world knows and can see !!!!!

3. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    Manly doesnt cop anything worse than any other NRL club and in any case it pales in comparison to the damage done to Bretts reputation.

Plenty here however who seem to think thats its not even worthy of our attention though.

4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,338 / 60
    Differ on the judgement about Manly Jatz.  The damage to Manly's brand from Gallop's flawed response may be worth many millions of dollars.  Even one lost sponsor may be worth seven figures.  And the free ride he has given the Roosters for example may be worth many millions of dollars to their brand.

5. The Eagle

The Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 0
    Gallop is a weak **** who needs to lose his job

That prick should be giving us $600k
    $100k fine back and $500k for being so ****ing wrong

I hope Stewart takes the low ****s house

6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,338 / 60
    Enough pussy-footing around, Shane, tell us what you really think.  :)

7. eaglerob

eaglerob Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Jatz, Carney is still in the Bloody NRL ad isn't he ????? What did they do with stewart........ Pulled the ad, then pulled him out if it then bloody put it back on..... SHAME ON GALLOP, it is HE that should be pulled and not in a good way !!!!!!!

8. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    THE chief executive of the NRL, David Gallop, hit back yesterday at criticism of his handling of wayward Rooster Todd Carney, saying the league had acted impartially and had been even-handed in its decision not to suspend the young player.

The Roosters fined Carney $10,000 on Thursday and ordered the troubled star to attend counselling after he was charged with low-range drink driving last weekend.

Gallop angrily hit out at a column in yesterday's The Daily Telegraph by Sports Editor-at-large Phil Rothfield, which questioned the NRL boss's handling of the Carney affair and compared it to Brett Stewart's four-week suspension by the league the previous year.

"The two cases are very different." Gallop said. "[The] Carney [incident] involved a largely inadvertent act last Saturday morning.

"Stewart's conduct was at a season launch which the club itself admitted to handling badly. Despite this, no action was taken by Manly.

"We look at each case on its merits and in its own context. In other words, we make our decisions impartially, with even handedness, across all clubs, as a primary motivation.

"Any suggestion that these decisions are infected by a desire to please someone else is incorrect, malicious and defamatory. We have maintained that position over many years and while we are not immune from criticism, we totally reject any suggestion of bias."

9. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,471 / 42
    Gallop would've made one phone call to Politis for his instructions. :-X

10. Normie

Normie Well-Known Member

Canberra
    Ratings:
    +326 / 4
    What a load of crap from Gallop! Fair enough that Manly didn't handle the season launch too well BUT Brett was cleared by the Courts as being innocent and the evidence pointed to him not being drunk! Brett caught a cab home NOT endagering anyone's lives whereas Carney got behind the wheel pissed.
    1 committed an illegal act and is a serial offender - the other was cleared and a cleanskin! And who got suspended for 4 matches???? Impartial and even handedness my arse!

11. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,793 / 122
    The 100k fine to Manly was ostensibly for the shoddy organisation of the season launch. The 4 match suspension of Stewart was a personal punishment to him for 'his conduct', and his conduct in no way warranted suspension. Gallop simply believed libellous fictions published in the media.

He put himself under pressure by his decision to disregard expert advice not to base an ad campaign around individual players. Under that pressure he buckled.

Gallop's response to the Tele column is predictably angry but not at all convincing. What will be his response to Des's comments? He will be getting angrier and angrier. Hopefully he won't be sleeping very well these days.

12. eaglerob

eaglerob Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Gallop how in the BLUE HELL do you sleep at night !!!!!!!!! CANNOT beleive the SH%T that comes out ot his mouth. What a JOKE!!!!

13. eagles2win

eagles2win Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +494 / 0
    On another article Gallop says that Carney was suspended for a year, WRONG! he was sacked and the NRL wouldn't recognise a contract (the NRL must be thanking it's lucky stars that the Players Union isn't very strong or it could got very interesting with this) and it shouldn't have stopped him from lining up for another club.

14. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    Gallops response to club bias claim in today's Telegraph:

"The two cases are very different. The Carney incident involved a largely inadvertent act last Saturday morning".
    "Stewarts conduct was at a season launch which the club itself admitted to handling badly. Despite this no action was taken by Manly."
    "We look at each case on it's merits and in it's own context. In other words, we make our decisions impartially, with even handedness, across all clubs, as a primary motivation. "
    "Any suggestion that these decisions are infected by a desire to please someone else is incorrect, malicious and defamatory. We have maintained that position over many years and while we are not immune from criticism, we totally reject any suggestion of bias".

15. swoop

swoop Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,201 / 16
    Yeah, they were different Gallop one was proven innocent and the other broke the law as IS GUILTY .

But who ended up with the 4 week suspension, the clubs 100k fine and a player 300k out of pocket?

Gallop you're a scumbag and should not be allowed to be part of new rugby league ero once the IC has been set up.

16. Andy 1972

Andy 1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Gallop, you're arguments are full of more holes than Swiss cheese.  Just go, and don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

Andy1972.
    Manly Forever.

17. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    I seem to recall the NRL saying at the time that part of the scale of Brett's punishment was because he was the face of the game. In other words, if he was a nobody the media wouldn't have created such a storm and there would have been less need to be seen to be punishing him. The Tony Williams drink drive penalty is a good example to compare to.

Now let's not forget that Brett didn't ask to be the face of the game for 2009 and he wasn't paid a cent to appear in the 2009 NRL commercial. Even though he wasn't paid for being the face of the game, his punishment was harsher as he was the face of the game.

Now we move to Carney. The 2010 Dally M medal winner and, like Brett at the stat of 2009, a very high profile face in the game. Rothfield says it well enough as to Carney's past. But then Gallop says in his explanation that Carney (still over 0.5 from the night before) "inadvertently" got into a car, Hullo?? He was on a ZERO alcohol licence! If he was on 0.5 like the rest of us that excuse might have held weight, but not a driver on his Ps and not when a court told him not to do it again or would risk jail.

Gallop also seems to argue in his explanation that Carney's prior punishment of 12 months out of the game somehow counted towards the apparently light punishment given to him this week instead of copping what Brett did.

I'm sorry but Gallop has not done well here.

18. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    I hope the judge that threatened Carney with jail time if he gets into trouble again is the judge at his next hearing. Hopefully he will be true to his word and give him jail time. I hope so if for no other reason than to embarrass Gallop and the NRL.

19. sydsider

sydsider Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Mate i dont give a **** about what Carneys done its plain for all to see hes got issues.Gallop seems to be the only one with **** in his ears and eyes.I suppose hes got a very high quality lifestyle that he has to make sure he keeps going aye.I wonder if i can stick my hand up his ass and get him to say things that i want him to say.Oh thats right im not News Ltd.