News: NRL clubs don't want Bears in their backyard

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ralphie link said:
I have lived on the Central Coast since 1988 and I, like the vast majority of the Central Coast population, am a refugee from Sydney.

I have brought with me my passion for the team I have supported for my entire life and I have ensured that my children have been indoctrinated with the Maroon & White. Every other person I know on the Central Coast supports other teams passionately and when I ask will they support the Bears in lieu of their current team the answer is always no.

The Bears can only hope to be everyone's 2nd team and that just won't cut it. The last proposal I saw had 6 games a year played at North Sydney oval. If that were true then the Central Coast will utterly reject the team.

Norths territory covers a huge area and it won't be difficult to gain enough support to fill CC stadium every home game.  If they market the team properly they will get a lot of support from people on the central coast. 

Also they currently have over 4,000 fully paid members which is pretty good for a team, that isn't even in the comp.

How many members do we have presently?

Mark from Brisbane link said:
We have 16 teams now and my proposal would be to go to 18, which (with the demise of the Sharks.....they are logically the first to go) gives you space for three more teams.

For me they are,

Western Reds
Central Comets
South Queensland Crushers (for the want of a name)

SA will be a lost cause, there's little to no demographic there that's league orientated.

A second team in NZ sounds ok as well BUT where does that come from.....and no we don't need a 22 team competition Ryan!!

I think I should be voted in on a cushy $300K a year job as a commissioner with these ideas, anyone want to vote for me???

That would be me Mark with the 22 team comp each team play's each other once a season making it more of an spectacle when they play each other along the lines of the NFL.

I don't know where Ryan got his Auckland Axe's from but the team I suggested from the South Island of New Zealand or Canterbury actually play's/played in the New Zealand Comp.

tookey link said:
[quote author=Ralphie link=topic=186059.msg308194#msg308194 date=1291181718]
I have lived on the Central Coast since 1988 and I, like the vast majority of the Central Coast population, am a refugee from Sydney.

I have brought with me my passion for the team I have supported for my entire life and I have ensured that my children have been indoctrinated with the Maroon & White. Every other person I know on the Central Coast supports other teams passionately and when I ask will they support the Bears in lieu of their current team the answer is always no.

The Bears can only hope to be everyone's 2nd team and that just won't cut it. The last proposal I saw had 6 games a year played at North Sydney oval. If that were true then the Central Coast will utterly reject the team.

Norths territory covers a huge area and it won't be difficult to gain enough support to fill CC stadium every home game.  If they market the team properly they will get a lot of support from people on the central coast.  

Also they currently have over 4,000 fully paid members which is pretty good for a team, that isn't even in the comp.

[/quote]
tookey, I'm almost certain by the tone of all your posts on this subject, that you were a bears fan?
Your 'eagerness' to have that club reincarnated is almost sickening.

i`d give it to newtown before bears  :p..  atleast they have a team playing in sydney..

WAMF link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=186059.msg308211#msg308211 date=1291185946]

Norths territory covers a huge area and it won't be difficult to gain enough support to fill CC stadium every home game.  If they market the team properly they will get a lot of support from people on the central coast.  

[/quote]
tookey, I'm almost certain by the tone of all your posts on this subject, that you were a bears fan?
Your 'eagerness' to have that club reincarnated is almost sickening.

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with having them reincarnated.  At least the local derby would be back each year. 

I used to know Moore, Rea and Fairleigh back in the early nineties when I was in the Bank at North Sydney.  Good blokes.

I'm with Tookey, would be a good thing to see the Bears back imo, would certainly add a good couple of games a year to look forward too for us and bring people through the gates to watch as well.

On the 2nd NZ team, shouldn't go near it for now imo, better off strengthening other areas 1st.

The central coast is so desperate to have a team in something that they embraced the Mariners and turned out in massive numbers to support them when they first started.
Soccer is ****. And theres no way in hell you'd call the coast a soccer town pre A league days, but because that was all we had here people were drawn to it and got into it big time. QUite sickening actually to see it happen!
There was/is so much promoting by local radio & tv stations and players going to schools and doing the rounds etc.....
You're more likely to see a mariners sticker on a car than a rugby league one even though the coast is a major league hub.

IF the coast got a rugby league team in any form, it would be supported massively by the coast, so there would be bums on seats for games and merchandise galore sold...BUT so would a team in central qld or perth....
So it really comes down to which area can earn the game the most.

Will the Eagles Benefit by having a bear in our back yard ?? The answer is no , so the Bears on the coast can get stuffed ;D

Ant80 link said:
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=186059.msg308204#msg308204 date=1291185195]

We have 16 teams now and my proposal would be to go to 18, which (with the demise of the Sharks.....they are logically the first to go) gives you space for three more teams.

For me they are,

Western Reds
Central Comets

SA will be a lost cause, there's little to no demographic there that's league orientated.

A second team in NZ sounds ok as well BUT where does that come from.....and no we don't need a 22 team competition Ryan!!

I think I should be voted in on a cushy $300K a year job as a commissioner with these ideas, anyone want to vote for me???

That would be me Mark with the 22 team comp each team play's each other once a season making it more of an spectacle when they play each other along the lines of the NFL.

I don't know where Ryan got his Auckland Axe's from but the team I suggested from the South Island of New Zealand or Canterbury actually play's/played in the New Zealand Comp.
[/quote]

Sorry Ryan, and Ant we DON"T need a 22 team comp...we are starting to see now the lack of depth in some clubs, if you add  6 more teams you'll need say 150 more players....just to satisfy the extra teams.

Super League had it way wrong (with 12) but 22 is way too many (financially and player strength) wise.

tookey link said:

Norths territory covers a huge area and it won't be difficult to gain enough support to fill CC stadium every home game.  If they market the team properly they will get a lot of support from people on the central coast. 

[/quote]

This is to easy,How many home games are in the bears membership options? Im sorry but non ticketed membership isnt really membership

Mark from Brisbane link said:
[quote author=Ant80 link=topic=186059.msg308212#msg308212 date=1291186177]
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=186059.msg308204#msg308204 date=1291185195]

For me they are,

Western Reds
Central Comets

[/quote]

Sorry Ryan, and Ant we DON"T need a 22 team comp...we are starting to see now the lack of depth in some clubs, if you add  6 more teams you'll need say 150 more players....just to satisfy the extra teams.

Super League had it way wrong (with 12) but 22 is way too many (financially and player strength) wise.
[/quote]

Rules are changing in the ESL pretty soon they will only allow to have 3 overseas trained players.

tookey link said:

[/quote]

I assume you are one of the 4,000

BOZO link said:
Will the Eagles Benefit by having a bear in our back yard ?? The answer is no , so the Bears on the coast can get stuffed ;D

I disagree.

A local derby again at brookvale oval between Manly and norths would almost guarantee the biggest crowd of the year at home.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1291242746[/time]

The Wheel link said:

[/quote]

[/quote]

No as it is a central coast team not a norths team.  Besides we already have our 3 season seats in the JT stand and football club membership for next year.

Although norths membership and watching their NSW cup side every second week at NSO does sound tempting.

tookey link said:
[quote author=BOZO link=topic=186059.msg308237#msg308237 date=1291198643]

I disagree.

A local derby again at brookvale oval between Manly and norths would almost guarantee the biggest crowd of the year at home.

The Wheel link said:

[/quote]

[/quote]

No as it is a central coast team not a norths team.  Besides we already have our 3 season seats in the JT stand and football club membership for next year.

Although norths membership and watching their NSW cup side every second week at NSO does sound tempting.
[/quote]
Perhaps you should consider changing your username from Tookey to Toukley ?

manlyborn link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=186059.msg308286#msg308286 date=1291242551]
[quote author=BOZO link=topic=186059.msg308237#msg308237 date=1291198643]

I disagree.

The Wheel link said:

[/quote]

[/quote]

No as it is a central coast team not a norths team.   Besides we already have our 3 season seats in the JT stand and football club membership for next year.

[/quote]
Perhaps you should consider changing your username from Tookey to Toukley ?
[/quote]

Lol

I was think of changing it to Tai Tuivasa as he is now supposed to be the new Mark Tookey

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sydney-roosters-sign-136kg-teenager-tai-tuivasa/story-e6frexnr-1225964160847

[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=186059.msg308240#msg308240

[/quote]

Not sure if I'm on my own here - and maybe it was because Manly was on the slide at the time - but I don't recall noticing the promised significant increase in standard when the comp was dropped from 22 teams (during the SL war) back to 14, and there were a few players like Jim Sedaris who couldn't get a run at 14 teams.  I think the depth/player strength argument can be overstated.  If you have more clubs nurturing talent in their respective areas, surely in the long run you will generate more talent to sustain a bigger comp?

BOZO link said:

In some ways we would we'd actually get a game on FTA for a change.

Something like Easts vs Souths (has been shown on 9 over the last few years.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4