News: Neumann cut loose in Ox deal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>SALARY cap pressures seem certain to see young Manly back Shane Neumann released from the final year of his contract to ensure skipper Matt Orford remains at the club.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4325-neumann-cut-loose-in-ox-deal.html">Read the full article</a>

Played very poor this year in a poor team but hope he finds a club. Probably come back to bite us at some time. 

Surely a centre at his age would have carved the QLD Cup up and we would have heard about it. Hasn't been knocking on the door so don't let it slam it your arse on way out Shane..........

this Orford crap is dragging on and on and seems to be costing us players and another thing, hope our 2 wingers are not asking any more than 200k

$200k? Robertson ok, as he is a utility player now as such. Williams shouldn't be asking more than around $90k per year.

From what I saw in his couple of games this is no big deal. Rather we keep Robbo and Wolfman.

While im not his biggest fan, i have seen enough of Neumann to admit he could be a pretty good centre.
Mind you his game against Penrith? this year when he dropped 3-4 balls was absolutely awful. Although keep in mind he was put in as a winger for the first time in his career on a wet night.

He is on quite good money, and hasn't grown into the player that Manly were expecting.

I wouldn't write him off, he does have a lot of the right attributes. And when you see how much a guy like Joel Reddy improved in the past two years, it always gives you hope. But it is an easy way to trim some fat off the cap for the moment...

We will obviously be a far better squad in 2010 if we cut Neumann and retain the other 3 on the books

I am sure others though will come have the opposite opinion on that so I look forward to reading their reasons

Kiwi Eagle link said:
We will obviously be a far better squad in 2010 if we cut Neumann and retain the other 3 on the books

I am sure others though will come have the opposite opinion on that so I look forward to reading their reasons
I don't so much hold an opposite opinion Kiwi, but apart from King, Rose, Choc, Glen, and Foran I would say the teams form was down by about 10%.
Add to that the loss of Hall and Le'strange and it's hard for me to see us being more competitive in a competition that in 2010 only looks stronger from my prospective.

Considering we have Paige and that bloke from the saints in the "potentials" catagory for centre and still have suniula i dont see Nuemann as a great loss. He was good in Flegg (captain as well) but never really improved. A bit like Meaney (ableit Neumann didnt get his knee smashed by Des)

manlyborn link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=181883.msg244226#msg244226 date=1255247743]

I don't so much hold an opposite opinion Kiwi, but apart from King, Rose, Choc, Glen, and Foran I would say the teams form was down by about 10%.
Add to that the loss of Hall and Le'strange and it's hard for me to see us being more competitive in a competition that in 2010 only looks stronger from my prospective.
[/quote]

I think that our window has closed. We had a great opportunity to win it this year. Next year, we will make the eight but won't be serious contenders. This is why I wanted us to have a mini-rebuild. The news that Orford will re-sign is disappointing. It just means that the re-build will re-start in 2012. Parramatta are stronger, St George will learn plenty of lessons and Souths may be big movers. The way we meekly surrendered to the Storm has me a bit worried.

Souths won't do anything. they are just a rubbish club with a rubbish ethic.

the rest of it I think you are on the money moops

Most people are forgetting that you can strengthen a club from within, as well as from outside

Others sides outside gains may look great compared to what we are bringing in, but lets remember that fingers crossed we are bringing back in a fully fit fullback with the most potent try scoring record in recent history, and with that we have Robertson back on the week who is as good a finisher as any. We also have a side that bar 2 people, Matai and Watmough, have a full, uninterrupted off season without an overseas trip in their. Kite's final few games of the year were getting back to 2008 form, and Perry has patches of his good 2008 form during the season as well.
Is no reason why a lot of our blokes will not improve again next year, a lot of blokes have a quiet year or 2 in their career and come back to the previous level, Beaver is an example of that

And the Ox isn't.  We won't go anywhere with him dithering around at the scrum base for another season, or two, or three.... yiks!

I watched the 2008 season DVD Grand Final weekend -seriosuly there was no comaprision between OX & his efforts this season.  Couldn't put the finger on the difference - missing Bell/Beaver or Brett, forwards not going forward.  Who knows but he was a lot more decisive

A combination of all things I would think Wheel, forwards form was down, outside backs not as potent, and Orford's form down as well

The platform up front wasn't there as much as 2008 so the space wasn't there to work with, and the go to man in the majority of our plays was not there this season and the replacement while trying his arse off didn't have the natural ability to pull those moves off.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7