News: Matt Orford faces pay cut

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think we all agree DSM that Ox is not worth $450K but what we have to consider is that will his eventual replacement be as good or better than him. 

I actually liked Jason Ferris.  I always thought he got a bit fired up, and the hand claps and high fives when we were going well were all good.  Anyway Wheel, as you know I'm not a fan.  A half back needs to push the big guys forward consistently, pass to his supports and have a reasonably good kicking game.  Anything else is a bonus.  I'm sure there are players out there that would adequately fill the Ox's boots, and for half the price.  He's getting on in years so will leave eventually you know.     

So you rated Ferris, but you don't rate Ox.
Jeez dude. This is what I mean. It's blind hatred.

I am extremely happy we have the man in our team.
I wonder of Ferris would have attained us a premiership like Ox did?

haha.  The hand claps and high fives would have won us the premiership Ryan.  Get with the program mate. 

Ryan you're a dickhead.  I didn't say I 'rated' Ferris, I just said I 'liked' him.  Get out of the toilet and get real.  Leave the grudges inside and tell me what Orful has done in the last three weeks to get you all fired up. 

Swoop, your 31st post was crap, join Ryan's club.  Dorn was terrible except for a kick or something in Brisbane when he won us the match, if my memory serves me correctly.  My point is that Orful is just not worth 400K or so, and he's getting old and like all old things needs replacing (except me) so the club better get looking now, and in our own backyard I'd like to think.  And tell him not to be a ball hog for the rest of his stay with us.     

I laugh at how seriously some people take this discussion.

Do you think Des will take a vote on the forum to make his decision? Our views are simply opinion and won't matter one iota when the final call is made. Some are arguing as if life as we know it depends on our personal stance!!!

Sure speculate away but in the end it has nothing to do with us. Take a chill pill!!! Life is too short!!!

Canteen Worker link said:

Do you think Des will take a vote on the forum to make his decision? Our views are simply opinion and won't matter one iota when the final call is made. Some are arguing as if life as we know it depends on our personal stance!!!

Sure speculate away but in the end it has nothing to do with us. Take a chill pill!!! Life is too short!!!
Are you saying Des does not take our opinions into account? ouch

Canteen Worker link said:

Speak for yourself, he takes into account my opinion.  I have it on good authority he reads my posts daily when devising plans, recruitment etc  He apparantly also waits for the weekly YART before naming the side on Tuesday.  However he thinks you have nfi  ;)

DSM5 link said:
Swoop, your 31st post was crap, join Ryan's club.  Dorn was terrible except for a kick or something in Brisbane when he won us the match, if my memory serves me correctly.  My point is that Orful is just not worth 400K or so, and he's getting old and like all old things needs replacing (except me) so the club better get looking now, and in our own backyard I'd like to think.  And tell him not to be a ball hog for the rest of his stay with us.     

Did you take that seriously? Man, I was joking lol.

I agree we can't pay anymore than 300k for Orford if we want to retained some of the other players aswell. Even that amount is steep IMO but if we want to keep him that most probably will be his asking price.

swoop link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=179943.msg217112#msg217112 date=1238739093]

Did you take that seriously? Man, I was joking lol.

I agree we can't pay anymore than 300k for Orford if we want to retained some of the other players aswell. Even that amount is steep IMO but if we want to keep him that most probably will be his asking price.
[/quote]
I have no idea of his price but it will be a bit less than his current deal. Having said that, he is one of the top 4 halfbacks in the game, and there's no reason he won't continue to be for the next year or 2. Those who reckon he is not worth resigning should consider how the team would function with a 7th, 9th, 11th, etc ranked half. It is a fairly important position on the field after all...

The Wheel link said:
Actually I thought Gronk represented Australia at the end of 2007, oops sorry I meant Cronk   :p

Hmmm...If I was chosen to represent Australia at something I don't think it would be footy.  Maybe I could get a run at the special olympics

Garts link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=179943.msg217115#msg217115 date=1238739594]

Speak for yourself, he takes into account my opinion.  I have it on good authority he reads my posts daily when devising plans, recruitment etc  He apparantly also waits for the weekly YART before naming the side on Tuesday.  However he thinks you have nfi  ;)
[/quote]

Thank go he reads your YARTS & not Ryans

Seriously i dont beleive the crap that is going down here over orford, for gods sake he won us a premiership what else does he have to do. He should be a manly imortal regardless of what he is payed or how he performs this year. Without him ot would be Melbourne or Warriors as 08 Premiers, could any of you honestly handle that?? if the answer is no SUPPORT ORFORD they need it now more than ever.!!!!!!!!!!

QldEagle link said:
Seriously i dont beleive the crap that is going down here over orford, for gods sake he won us a premiership what else does he have to do.

To be honest I think Lyon won us the premiership he's the one who stepped up at the end of the season and took over a lot of Orford’s workload and was exceptional all through the finals series.

missing_something link said:
[quote author=QldEagle link=topic=179943.msg217179#msg217179 date=1238760877]
Seriously i dont beleive the crap that is going down here over orford, for gods sake he won us a premiership what else does he have to do.

To be honest I think Lyon won us the premiership he's the one who stepped up at the end of the season and took over a lot of Orford’s workload and was exceptional all through the finals series.
[/quote]

Spot on.

Lyon took over a lot of the kicking and ball playing responsibility for drawford in last years semi's and look at the resuls.

this year we are relying solely on drawford again and his long kicking game is not up to scratch and he is too easy for other teams to shut down his ball playing ability.  We need either bailey to step up and take some of the workload off his or Lyon again at 5/8.

The issue isn't how much is Orford worth currently but how much is he worth next year  and the year after. What I am not aware of is , how long a deal is Orford chasing ? Usually players at his age are loooking for a longer deal than what the club want to offer.

The difficulty for clubs is when a player gets to his age to guess what if any decline in performance could occur.

The classic example of this was Civonceva. The sticking point with the Broncos was the 3 year deal Petro wanted. Both parties finally came to an agreementd on the $$ value.. But the Broncos would only offer him a 2 year deal. I think Petro has proved to Penrith his worth and the Broncos got it wrong.

Is Orford showing any signs of wear -  injuries ? Is he losing any speed and acceleration ? These are the questions recruiting staff have to consider.

I think acceleration and evasion has been Orford's strength. Has he or is he likely to lose this in the next year ?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6