News: Matt Orford faces pay cut

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Some of you are farking stupid.  Orford has not been that bad the last 3 weeks.  The whole team has been garbage.  Do not forget he was instrumental in guiding us to the premiership.  He can play.  However you are happy to punt him then talk of playing players at half for us who are yet to play NRL.  Yeah we will sure climb the ladder if that happens.  Or maybe we could spend $200k on a decent half back?  Brett Finch is worth more than that. 

I think Crusher should watch his back.  A few here would kill it as recruiters for us  :p

Lol it is funny to watch isn't it Garts

Lose a couple and it is always Orfords fault, yet when he held up the trophies 4 and 5 games ago after playing very good games, it doesn't count for much

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Lol it is funny to watch isn't it Garts

Lose a couple and it is always Orfords fault, yet when he held up the trophies 4 and 5 games ago after playing very good games, it doesn't count for much

I know.  I love my footy and can get irrational but fark me.  Some say women can get irrational on occasions, I think some of the guys on here are much worse. 

DSM5 link said:
I'd just like anyone who knows how to marshall the troops and get them going forward.  Oh yes, as well, I'd like them to not lose their heads when attacking the line.   Surely there's someone out there who would like to earn 250000K to do this simple thing 22 weeks of the year.
Simple really. Ox had a pretty crap year, he is so old, can't kick, boo hoo.
He obviously bribed the judge to win the Dally M. Oh, there was more than one judge? Beats me, must be some kind of scandal?

(My true view - we can't orford not to resign Matt! )

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=niccipops link=topic=179943.msg216822#msg216822 date=1238627928]
[quote author=kingyfan link=topic=179943.msg216819#msg216819 date=1238627734]
Crusher is on a mission to locate the other 6 dwarfs to see which one wants to take over from dwarford next year.   
In politically correct speak they're not dwarves anymore they're "little people" and  tell Crusher they're located in the forest trying to put moves on Snow White.
[/quote]
Sounds like another season launch.
[/quote]
Manly dwarf bar?

I'm glad that this thread started to make some sense towards the end. Bailey at half is just plain stupid, he's a back rower playing at 5/8 atm, paying a WINGER instead of keeping Orford, I mean COME ON, wingers are a dime a dozen, GOOD 1/2's don't come along very often!

Some people are kidding themselves!

Any teams that win a comp have a decent halfback (with the exception of shane Perry 06).

Apart from shane perry (who had Darren Lockyer partnering him) and Brent Sherwin (who was behind one of the best forward packs of this era) over the last 10 years... it has been proven you can only win the comp with a decent halfback

99 - Kimmorley (origin/Aussie player)
00 - Walters (origin/aussie player)
01 - Johns enough said)
02 - Finch (origin player.... Fittler helped)
03 - Gower (origin/aussie player)
04 - Sherwin (price,ryan,mason,SBW,o'meley)
05 - Prince (origin player)
06 - Perry (an exception)
07 - Cronk (any other era origin/aussie player)
08 - Orford..........

There is some handy names in there.... you can't win a comp without a decent halfback and Des and the boys thought they were getting one when they signed Orford... they were right.

He's no world beater and he can have some awful games (i've been as critical as anyone over the last few years) but I think getting rid of him to free up money for a winger.... even if he is an aussie rep winger is laughable.

I think a pay cut is not out of the question for him but if he was to leave at seasons end I think we would struggle for at least another 2 years.

Central Coast Eagle link said:
I'm glad that this thread started to make some sense towards the end. Bailey at half is just plain stupid, he's a back rower playing at 5/8 atm, paying a WINGER instead of keeping Orford, I mean COME ON, wingers are a dime a dozen, GOOD 1/2's don't come along very often!

Some people are kidding themselves!

I think he or she is having a dig at you DSM?  :-*

Nutzcraw link said:
Any teams that win a comp have a decent halfback (with the exception of shane Perry 06).

Apart from shane perry (who had Darren Lockyer partnering him) and Brent Sherwin (who was behind one of the best forward packs of this era) over the last 10 years... it has been proven you can only win the comp with a decent halfback

99 - Kimmorley (origin/Aussie player)
00 - Walters (origin/aussie player)
01 - Johns enough said)
02 - Finch (origin player.... Fittler helped)
03 - Gower (origin/aussie player)
04 - Sherwin (price,ryan,mason,SBW,o'meley)
05 - Prince (origin player)
06 - Perry (an exception)
07 - Cronk (any other era origin/aussie player)
08 - Orford..........

There is some handy names in there.... you can't win a comp without a decent halfback and Des and the boys thought they were getting one when they signed Orford... they were right.

He's no world beater and he can have some awful games (i've been as critical as anyone over the last few years) but I think getting rid of him to free up money for a winger.... even if he is an aussie rep winger is laughable.

I think a pay cut is not out of the question for him but if he was to leave at seasons end I think we would struggle for at least another 2 years.

Sherwin was a very handy played in the first half of the decade.  Actually he was pretty damn good.  

Actually I thought Gronk represented Australia at the end of 2007, oops sorry Imeant Cronk  :p

I did everything off the top of my head... let's not pick out the little mistakes I may have made :)

Can you see my point?

So, Orford isn't up to scratch is he?

1. Dally-M player of the year
2. Premiership winning 1/2 back
3. Premiership winning captain
4. Captain of any club he has been at

I wonder guys - as a 1/2 back, how many years he has steered his team into NOT being in the finals?

Exactly.

People forget what we looked like in the 1/2's prior to Ox joining us. Up until the 1st three rounds (and I personally believe STILL), we are considered a heavyweight of the competition.

Were we a heavyweight with:-
Mullane at 1/2 back?
Walker at 1/2 back
Dunley at 1/2 back
Monaghan at 1/2 back?
Ferris at 1/2 back?

No we weren't.

You can all bag him as much as you like, but the only reason you critique him in my opinion, is that because we have been so strong with him in the team, your expectations are extremely high - and rightly so.

With the publicity of the season launch at Manly Dwarf Bar, no way should we be considering buying Carney, unless there is a full time minder that walks around with him 24 hours a day.

Orford is not as bad as people are making out and you don't win a comp without a top 7, 9, 6 and 1. Unless there is a better option, I say keep Ox for two more years.

Ox was bloody awesome on Grand Final day. To win 40-0 is no fluke, you need your main man (half) firing.
His kick for Robertson was pin point visionary, his hit on Kaufusi was arguably the play of the day (we score on the next play - off an orford shift)

Given that your main playmakers are your 1,6,7,9 - Lyon is no longer playing 5/8th and Stewart is out, you can't exactly lay the blame on Ox when we have Robertson ruining every backline play and Bailey running the ball up into the ruck like Travis Burns on steroids.

" To win 40-0 is no fluke, you need your main man (half) firing."

The point trying to be made here is not whether he played well in the Grand Final, but whether he is worth $450K a year for the next 2 years. Even the most ardent Orford fan can't argue that he is consistent and has the vision and composure of say a Prince or Thurston. I just don't think he is worth that much money. Rather see it spent elsewhere. Lyon made Orford look good through that final series last year, it was no coincidence that our run home came good with Jamies return from injury.

I'm with C&C. I think Orford is a good, quality half back with a great short kicking game. But if we're going to have to compete with SL clubs to keep him there's no way we'll be able to keep Lyon when his contract come up the next year. And I think Lyon is a game breaker for us and I'd rather keep him than Orford. I don't care about Williams, Bani will be just as good. But with the salary cap it's hard to keep all the players that you'd want to.

K, so i'd be going along these lines

2 must keeps

ORFORD- I have faith in Foran, Cherry-Evans and Hodko, but not yet. I'd sign Orford at 350k for a one year extension with an option

HARGRAVES- We invested in him and its time to reap the rewards, 2 year deal

None of the others are must keeps, in my opinion

HALL- Was in great form last year, and for a good price i'd definantly keep him but i'd set a strict budget and if he wants a cent more let him go, we still have Stewart, Watmough, Cuthbo, Rodney, T-Rex, Hargraves and possibly Bailey in the backrow

ROBERTSON-He shouldnt cost a cent and has been a great clubman, but the fact is that we have 3 quality wingers and one of them is signed (Bani) If we signed williams at the right price then Robbo is dispensible

WILLIAMS- The one who will be looking at the biggest upgrade, 200k would be my limit, if he wants more lock up robbo for 120-130k

LE-STRANGE- replaceable, by any number of players

ROSE- See LE-STRANGE

Just another factor to throw into the debate as well, Lyon has stated that after his contract expires, which is probably next year, he will probably be heading off to St Helens again. Can we afford to lose 2 key attackers within a season of each other ?

Sounds like this is the p4 consensus then; He's a miracle worker and we should offer him 500K per season to stay.  Listen, if we had a 'good' winger we would have won our last two matches with or without Orful.  I couldn't care less if he stays or goes, it's just that he hogs the kicks when he should pass on them, and his attacking skills were left at ANZ in 2008 and HE'S NOT WORTH 450k...If he would just give the ball to someone who can kick, then I'll put up with him for another two seasons with only a little bit of rancour. 

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2