News: Matai technique fine: Hasler

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
<p>Manly coach Des Hasler has defended Steve Matai's tackling technique after the Sea Eagles centre was banned for two separate high shots in Monday night's 19-12 loss to Parramatta.

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/4792-matai-technique-fine-hasler.html">Read the full article</a>

Shoulders walks a fine line, no doubt about that. But aggressive defence is a big part of his game and I've got to agree with Des in that you've go to take the good with the bad if he gets it slightly wrong. Maybe he just needs to temper the swinging arm action a bit and go for more shoulder. Even then you'll still get pinged if players fall into the tackle, regardless of hitting with shoulder or arm.

I'm glad Des has come out in support of Shoulders. Despite the risks the fans (and me) just love the huge hits when they come off ok. Some of the best hitters have had to modify their technique a little because it is a fine line.

You can see it lift the rest of the side too. After that huge on on Young a couple of weeks back you could see King in the background rushing in to pat him on the back

Steve's technique is obviously crap and he gets in trouble all the time. But he intimidates and that is is why he is in our team.

The notable thing about Des's comments is that he is a tremendously loyal coach. We know he is not above tearing strips off the players in private, but he does not criticise them in public. The first thing he said when they won the comp was that he was happy for the players, and that was true. He is not as slick with a microphone in his face as some coaches but he is staunch and the players respond to that. Good one Des!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6