News: Mason heads to UK

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>Australian Test forward Willie Mason and New Zealander Weller Hauraki are the latest players linked with moves to Super League club Crusaders.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4468-mason-heads-to-uk.html">Read the full article</a>

Good to see the press had their finger right on the pulse as usual.

WILLIE MASON is set to resurrect his NRL playing career with Melbourne next season after agreeing to a two-year deal with the premiers yesterday. The move will enable the 29-year-old international to become only the second player in NRL history after Scott Prince in 2001 to feature in a World Club Challenge after finishing the previous season with the wooden spoon.

The Herald was told the ''unwanted'' Roosters forward turned down approaches from Manly, St George Illawarra and Cronulla to play at the Storm under the coaching of NSW Origin mentor Craig Bellamy, who last month publicly declared he was a fan of the former representative star.

Mason must now finalise a release from the Roosters before an official announcement on his move to Melbourne is made, but that is unlikely to pose a problem. The club has made it clear he was not part of its plans under new coach Brian Smith by giving him leave from off-season training to secure a deal elsewhere.

He has had his probs but I like his style of play and wish we had snared him. I bet he is integral in the Storm heading for GF #5 in a row.

Does this go into the "special" part of the cap Melbourne have ?

I wouldn't have minded him, but we don't need him

Obviously Melbourne doesn't have a salary cap. 

At least it is good news as they now won't have any money left to chase Watmough.

No doubt he is looking forward to catching up with some of the gayfl players and running amok in Melbourne.

In fairness to the storm & their creative accountant they did let go Dallas Johnson who was contracted for next season albeit that also allowed them to retain Danny Lima as well.

I am hoping that Mason will be a destabilising influence on the club, like he was at the Dogs & Roosters.

Although I am guessing it might prevent them for chasing Choc it also gives the Roosters more space to chase Foran.

No offense to Joe, and it is all academic now, but I know who I would have preferred coming off the bench with the scores tied up and 10 to go.

Looks like someone is telling a few porky pies - I also think the suggestion we were after him is crap as well, to me he is not a "Des type" player.

Melbourne Storm deny Willie Mason signing for 2010 NRL season
By staff writers
December 30, 2009 Melbourne Storm Chief Executive Brian Waldron has dismissed newspaper reports that the 2009 NRL premiers have signed Willie Mason.

Despite strong reports from Fairfax media suggesting that Mason had signed a two-year deal, Waldron quashed any suggestion that the Storm had recruited the giant front-rower.

"I personally communicated to Willie Mason over a fortnight ago that we were not and would not be in a position to offer him a contract for 2010," Waldron said.

"That message was also communicated to his manager.

"We wish Willie all the best for the future but unattributed reports that we have signed him for next year and 2011 are completely false."

Fairfax had reported Mason turned down approaches from Manly, St George Illwarra and Cronulla to take up a deal in Melbourne under the eye of New South Wales coach Craig Bellamy.

Mason had also been linked with a move to English club Celtic Crusaders.

The Roosters, under new coach Brian Smith, made it clear Mason was unwanted at Bondi, allowing the 29-year-old leave from pre-season training to chase potential offers in Australia and Japan.

Takes a while to come back from a major knee op (so I would not base a lot on his performances of last year)

At this stage our priority has to be keeping who we want – all that said he would have been handy

My guess is he's not going to Melbourne.  I just can't see why the Rorters would pay part of his wage for him to play against them.  If I were them I'd pay him to wander around in the NSW cup hoping he'd resign.  Although having said that, paying 150K to get rid of him to Melbourne saves them 250K.  Funny that.  Surely he's worth at least 300K on a salary cap audit (being paid 400K by the Rorters for 2010)  and if you look at the melbourne roster I would imagine they are on the cap already without him.  He's good, though on my reckoning past his best.  Lazy news days indeed. 

Interesting comment from Waldren on Storm's salary cap issues. Haha - see if they manage to sign another huge name on 55k.

"A STAND-OFF with the Roosters over the terms for his release is set to jeopardise the plan for Willie Mason to join the Storm next season.

Despite the Storm's denial of a report in yesterday's Herald linking Mason with a move to Melbourne, the former representative star is understood to still hold out hope of playing for the premiers and has told friends a deal is close to being finalised.

Players from both clubs are also of the belief that Mason's move to Melbourne is imminent. But any deal is likely to depend on Mason being able to negotiate a release from the Roosters that would make him affordable, as no other NRL club has room under the salary cap to pay him anywhere near the $400,000 contract he is on.

Mason, who is unwanted at Bondi Junction and has been given leave from training since November 2 to find another club, wants to continue his career in the NRL rather than head overseas but can afford to do so only if he receives a sizeable pay-out or the Roosters subsidise his contract to play elsewhere.

However, Roosters officials have indicated they are not prepared to do that, and would rather continue paying Mason to play for Newtown in the NSW Cup than virtually gift Melbourne a player who at his best is capable of helping the premiers to a fifth successive grand final.

It is understood Mason has been made aware of the Roosters' position but there is still a chance of the prop joining the Storm next season.

Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron yesterday confirmed the club had spoken with Mason but insisted no deal had been done and said the Storm could not afford the 29-year-old under the salary cap.

Waldron said he personally informed Mason of the club's position two weeks ago but it is believed the player has remained in contact with Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy, who had charge of him in last year's NSW Origin side.

The Storm have a history of picking up bargain-priced rejects and helping them to revive their careers, with Michael Crocker, Clint Newton and Brett Finch having gone on to win premierships with Melbourne after being released by other clubs.

But Melbourne's on-field success has put other clubs offside after it emerged during negotiations for an independent commission that the club loses $6 million a year and would need to be propped up financially if News Ltd were to sell the franchise to a private owner.

The Roosters would be reluctant to release a player to another club who could then gloat after winning a premiership ring. Instead, they would prefer Mason to accept a two-year offer from Welsh Super League club the Crusaders worth £100,000 ($179,250) for next season and £150,000 in 2011. With a hefty loan to service on his $3m Clovelly home, Mason cannot afford to play for nothing and might either have to find a deal overseas or serve out his time at the Roosters. However, he is unlikely to play first grade if he remains at the Roosters next season, and any slip-up could result in the sack.

Mason didn't return calls yesterday but a source close to him told the Herald the Kiwi-born prop was yet to put pen to paper on a deal with Melbourne but it is believed his move to the Storm was a mere formality.

Channel Nine last night reported that Bellamy was the driving force behind moves to get Mason to the Storm. But Waldron insisted that even after releasing lock Dallas Johnson to play for Super League club Catalans, the Storm did not have any room under the salary cap to accommodate Mason - even on the NRL's minimum wage of $55,000. ''I personally communicated to Willie Mason over a fortnight ago that we were not and would not be in a position to offer him a contract for 2010,'' Waldron said in a statement. ''That message was also communicated to his manager.''

smh.com.au BRAD WALTER AND JOSH RAKIC

Interesting that Mason has a 3 Million dollar house loan to service.  My guess is the Rorters want to sack him, or have him quit,  thereby freeing themselves of any ongoing financial burden.  They'll play him in the NSW Cup and hope that he relieves himself against a wall or misses training.  What are the monthly fees on a 3M loan bankers? 

DSM - pretty big monthly repayments ($20k per month) see below;

Loan amount $3,000,000 Total repayments $6,138,826 Lump sum
Loan term 25 Years, 0 Month(s) Total interest charge $3,138,826  
Product Standard Variable Rate
Repayment $20,463 per Month
Interest rate 6.61% p.a.
Repayment type Principal and Interest

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10