News: Manly 'nowhere near' best: Orford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
<p>A simple comment by Manly skipper Matt Orford struck fear into the NRL and Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler.

While the 15 other NRL clubs are no doubt aware of the Manly threat, Hasler no longer has the luxury of "flying under the radar".

Last year's 40-0 grand final shellacking of Melbourne and last week's 28-20 demolition of Leeds to become World Club champions has put the target squarely on the Eagles' back.</p><p>While Hasler cannot fault the motivation among his men, he knows they can no longer escape the burdens of expectation and pressure.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/Sea-Eagles/manly-nowhere-near-best-orford.html">Read the full article</a>

This is the most interesting part of the whole article;

Meanwhile club chairman Scott Penn is hopeful to a swift resolution in the power struggles among the board and feud with co-owner Max Delmege.

The warring parties have provided a bitter backdrop to Manly's on field glory and Penn hopes the end is near.

"There's a few issues to sort out and common sense will prevail," said Penn.

"It needs to be fixed, but can it be repaired? It's a matter for the willingness of all parties."

Orford issues warning

* sport
          o Rugby League

04 Mar 09 @ 12:13pm by JASON AVEDISSIAN
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/orford-issues-warning/

MANLY captain Matt Orford has issued a blunt warning to rival NRL clubs: the best is yet to come.

Orford and the Sea Eagles arrived home on Wednesday morning after becoming the first Australian side in six years to win the World Club Challenge in England on Monday morning.

Manly’s 28-20 victory over Leeds showed the premiers have clearly moved on from claiming last year’s NRL crown.

But now the focus remains on becoming the first team in 16 years to win back-to-back premierships with Orford convinced his team is still capable of lifting several notches.

“There’s plenty of motivation there and I think we showed that,” Orford said at Sydney Airport.

“We are the benchmark now and other teams will really want to take it to us.

“But we are nowhere near our best and there’s still parts of our game that need working on.”

Comments Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler will relish.

The premiership-winning coach was in an expansive mood on Wednesday, revealing his players’ mindset turned to the defence of their title within an hour of defeating the Rhinos at Elland Rd.

“I was pretty proud with the way the players recognised that, about an hour after the game, they were already switching on to 2009,” Hasler said.

“I think there’s a long way to go, but our roster is a good roster.

“They will be considered the benchmark, but we’ll still stay under the radar, that’s for sure.”

But it’s unlikely to happen, and Hasler knows it.

“I’m sure there are 15 other clubs baying for our blood,” he said.

“Obviously there will be a real exhilaration in the intensity of games played against us and I imagine any side will want to lift and play a little harder against us and want to get a win over the side that is the current holder of the title.

“It would give them plenty of purpose and belief for their season.”

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7