News: Manly fighting to retain Josh Perry

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

deadlyeagle

Reserve Grader
<p>FIVE-EIGHTH and captain-in-waiting Jamie Lyon is set to become the latest international to commit his long-term future to Manly but the club is facing a tougher fight for NSW and Australian front-rower Josh Perry.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4556-manly-fighting-to-retain-representative-front-rower-josh-perry.html">Read the full article</a>

Who writes this stuff?  It says that Perry is coming off one of his best seasons.  I beg to differ.  He was sludgy and slow last season and lucky to be picked for a front row spot week after week.  Probably because there were few others to choose from.  Why is it that they all seem to want three year deals?  King to Leave?  There's no way King will leave Manly.  He'll see his career out with us.  And what to do with Matai? 

Read my mind on that DSM5.

I like Lowes comment about on field performance & how that connects with the negotiation process.

With our salary cap position, did we buy too many back rowers ? We seem to have too many for our needs, while we stare down the barrel of not enough quality props if Perry was to leave.

Sounds like his agent is trying to do the right thing and get the best deal possible. I reckon they will have it sorted out not before to long and if he moves on so be it.

If Perry is sacrificed to keep the Lyon, Watmough, Foran and G.Stewart around then I can live with that

If it comes down to having to lose Perry or Matai, then I believe we need to be keeping Matai, centre isn't our strongest position in the squad, and he performs in the big matches

We also have Cross and Palau to throw into the front row mix.
Cross having spent a few years with Melbourne could turn out a very handy pick up and Palau although obviously raw will hopefully give us something to build on for the future.

Perry has only ever had two good seasons.  I suspect he's on the same slippery slope with us as he was with Newcastle.  Will get fat and troublesome beyond this year, send him to Bradford.

DSM5 link said:
Kiwi, gotta love your Matai support.  Just where is the guy?

Purely on what I see when I look at our depth mate, he is still relatively young for a centre, and with Lyon playing 6 it only leaves him in the squad with real centre experience at this level, with Farrar, Williams and Whare around. I see plenty of reasonable front row cover in the squad

I presume he has been given an extra week or 2 after tri nations participation and copping a hiding a couple of weeks back

I don't know Perry's age? If he's 26+ a two year deal with a further one year option based on performance could be a good negotiation.

Think he is about 29yo so 2yrs maximum...I agree with Mata's, may well be on the Newcastle slippery slope, move along.

As Wayne Bennett once said, you don't pay overs for prop forwards, it's the backs you pay to keep as they score you the most points.

I agree props can be trained to run up the ball like a wrecking ball to make yards.  With backs you either the skills and pace or you don't.

Perry was soft last year and didn't stand up in the fist 2/3 of the season when he needed to.

Neither did Kite,ROML,Hall..only Choc and Ballin seemed to have a full-on dig.I feel things will be much better this year,it will be a more settled start at least.

Ballin was disappointing last year I thought.

Choc, King and Rose were the only forwards I was happyish with.

Completely agree Volley.  Kite was especially disappointing last year after winning the whatever medal in the GF.  I hope he's got his at together this season.

Great news if we can keep Lyon. I always thought he'd be going to St Helens, I guess the pound isn't as attractive as it once was.

Both Perry and Kite didn't really make an impact in the trial last week against a pretty substandard Sharks outfit. Hopefully they turn it up a notch for this season.

But hopefully you don't worry them.
Maybe with frontrowers it's sometimes the case that they work their way into form a bit more gradually. Perry was an exception when he started with us 2 years ago because he had a huge build-up to make a statement about kickstarting his flagging career. We want our big guys firing early but ideally we want them building to their peak by year's end, not March. Those Saints props started with a bang last year but by the end they were hard to find.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2