NEWS: Lyon the linchpin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Sea Eagles players reap benefits of ‘Killer’ in final season of his career

Manly Daily
July 29, 2016 5:02pm

THE decision and acceptance to move skipper Jamie Lyon from centre to five- eighth has been the secret to Manly’s late season surge back into finals contention.

Lyon has been a reluctant No.6 in his glittering career and he has always maintained his preference for the centre position.

But – as always – Lyon has put the team first.

The thing I find funny about the whole article is the "Brown Impresses" part.

I'm still waiting for the Sheldon Cooper "Bazinga" line.....

And with regards to Killer.....Killer is a legend both of rugby league and as a Manly player and you'll never find me outright bagging the bloke for the way he has played or conducted himself in the maroon and white. But like most of us I do wonder what might have been had he bitten the bullet and moved to 5/8 from the start of this year instead of being so adamant that he only wanted to play in the centres.

Last edited:
I don't think it was Killer's choice @HoldenV8. I think Barrett wanted Walker to play 6 and Walker wanted to play there. It was only when Barrett worked out that wasn't working that Killer was asked to move.

Yes that is true @MadMarcus , Barrett (and Bozo) did say that they wanted Walker to play at 5/8. But before the season had even started, Killer himself came out in the media and said he wasn't interested in a move back to the halves and it was around this time that they decided that Walker should be DCE's halves partner.

Like I said, I'm not trying to bag Killer. I'm just wondering what might have been had he agreed to move to the halves from the start of the season and not just after 10 rounds when it had become apparent that Walker wasn't a 5/8. Who knows, playing in the halves might have prolonged his career by another year.

• 🏆
Reactions: R3
Yes that is true @MadMarcus , Barrett (and Bozo) did say that they wanted Walker to play at 5/8. But before the season had even started, Killer himself came out in the media and said he wasn't interested in a move back to the halves and it was around this time that they decided that Walker should be DCE's halves partner.

Like I said, I'm not trying to bag Killer. I'm just wondering what might have been had he agreed to move to the halves from the start of the season and not just after 10 rounds when it had become apparent that Walker wasn't a 5/8. Who knows, playing in the halves might have prolonged his career by another year.

V8, Walker was mentioned as our future 5/8 the day he signed with us and all the way through the preseason. It was even touted as one of the reasons we bought him.

This Lyon refused to play there is a disrespectful Myth. Whilst Lyon is on record saying he preferred to play at centre, I have never seen any evidence that he ever said he "would not" play 5/8 other than @Turbo making it up.

For all we know Lyon said ok the first time he was asked/told he was playing there.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6