News: Lowe already back at the helm

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p />NEW Manly Sea Eagles chief executive Graham Lowe has made an extraordinarily quick recovery from last month's heart scare.

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4470-lowe-already-back-at-the-helm.html">Read the full article</a>

Some things can be questioned, but 1 thing in no doubt is the blokes passion and commitment to the cause

About the same time he notified the New Zealand government that he had to adjust his drawings from his pension fund...as he was a money winner again.

I think we should give the guy at least 6 months before turning on the vitriol tap.  Maybe he'll be OK, maybe he won't.  I've got no axe to grind, because I actually didn't apply for the job.  If the same crap that came up last season rears its head again, then he's obviously not up to the job.  Then again, maybe no-one is.  A season launch at Brookvale on a Sunday afternoon would be a good first step.

Kiwi:-

1. Lowe has had brain surgery;
2. Lowe has had heart surgery X 2;
3. Lowe is well past retirement and pension age;
4. We are in a more competitive environment than we have ever been in, but YEARS ago the stress caused him health issues before he had to move on;
5. He has not held a position for more than 7 years;

yet we haven't given him 6 seconds......hmmmmm......mkay.

How did your application go Ryan, it was an open process that anyone could apply for wasn't it ?

What is your retirement age is Oz mate ? He hasn't hit the NZ one yet
On points 1 and 2, those don't make him an invalid or mentally challenged do they ? He has 2 young boys at home, I am sure that if he and the doctors thought that the job was as big a risk to his health as you keep suggesting then he wouldn't be taking it and they would come first. Finally on point 5, he has had many different roles in Rugby League over the past 7 years

Each to their own, but I prefer to give people a crack at something before getting stuck into them, he obviously has quite a few things in his favour to secure the job.

1 thing we can be certain of it seems though is that the minds of you 2 chaps are made up so the opinion on his work won't be balanced in the months to come.

Judge him on his results, not your preconceptions

The age at which you can draw the pension in australia is 65 with plans to push it out to 67. Lowe is 63. Arko retired as arl chairman at 67 and that was mainly due to smoothing over a peace deal. He ruled during the most stressful period in rugby league ever after his 64th birthday. He retired at 73 as chairman of Manly Leagues.
Stuff his age, bugger some of his health issues. Judge him on performance.

Judge him on his performance. Where shall we start?

1. On his way to Sydney, what happened at the airport?
2. Before he even sat in his chair at Narrabeen, didn't we have to appoint a stand in CEO in Honeywood (or whoever) - AGAIN?

OK, on the flipside:-
3. He's a top bloke. Yeah, I've heard it before.

I wonder, if he were a famous performer, and was coming to Australia to do his job, and keeled over, or if he then had to bring in a different performer to do his role straight off the bat, would he then have to provide his paying customer a refund, or cancel the show all together?

But I guess this is different right?
The difference he he has a plethora of people needing his ability to retain their jobs, and earn an income.

This move was made expressly with the view to smooth over factions. If your a business out to beat competitors, then that shouldn't be one's main sole purpose. 

So if Ben Kennedy, with a past of injuries, got injured in his final game before coming to Manly, you would have torn up his contract because his past suggested an injury may happen ?

Kiwi - the point is that didn't happen (re - Kennedy) - did it. We  get what we are dealt, and on face value, we haven't been as innovative and strategic as we could have been.

DSM5 - I certainly wouldn't have gone for the role. I much prefer job security. I'd hate to have to bow to an owner who's ego gets in the way of right decision making.

Plus, it would be strictly business acumen why I'd want to be selected. It would be networking. Not as a mediator. You know, there are professionals that get paid around $150 bucks an hour that could probably do what Grampa Simpson has been asked to do over two years in two days.

Here's the thing. We NEEDED and active CEO this off season. Lowe was unable to fulfill that role due to ill, or poor health. I do feel bad for him. I hope the job doesn't send him to his grave early....but the writing is on the wall. Who really didn't see this happening?

The position has been filled though, and I'll live with it. I'm excited to see what fresh, new and brilliant plans and idea's Lowe has that will differentiate our brand from the others, that will be a mission statement as a "compelling reason to buy" Sea Eagles.

I wonder how much mediation is currently being done from a hospital bed. The one reason he has been brought here, and he can't fulfill that role to expectation. How can Lowe "unite the clans" (which in itself is ridiculous to begin with), when he probably needs someone to care after him personally himself.

Don't be naive guys. This is a very volatile time for individual clubs. Only the strong will survive. You see how often, and frequently discussion is held relating to relocation, budget and performance off the park. A board, some owners, and a CEO can get along as much as they like. They get to above mentioned wrong, well, I'll leave it to you to consider those ramifications. 

If it turns out Lowe does a decent job will you match your volumes of doomsaying by writing an equivalent 10000 words in retraction?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8